Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2013, 03:30 AM   #1
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Why didn't I think of that!

My brother has been on the fence about buying a new RV since we bought ours(we almost bought twins). Yesterday he sent out an e-mail to several dealers requesting a quote on a SOB travel trailer listing all of the options that he would like. In the message he states "no price negotiations are necesary as this price request is being sent to multiple dealers". He recieved several replies, the best being from a dealer in Indiana who's quote was for a trailer to be ordered. Many of the replies asked for what his best price so far was, but the Indiana dealer put his best offer out there with no such request. It looks like he''l be making a trip to Indiana to pick up his new trailer in the coming weeks-at a price nearly 20% lower than the next lowest and 40% lower than the highest, who said nobody will beat our price. What a concept-know what you're looking for and shop from home.

bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Somewhat similar to the approach we took. I corresponded via e-mail to large dealers seeking pricing, then took the best offer to out local dealer and said, come close and you have the deal. They came close (within a couple thousand) deal was done, and now I have the luxury of local dealer repairs and service. If a person is not on the road all of the time, there are definite benefits to having a local dealer who is glad to have your business.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
A local dealer that appreciates your purchase and will go to bat for you when negotiating with the manufacturer is priceless
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
This is exactly how I have purchased 2 of our last 3 new vehicles. In both cases we ordered the vehicles from the factory and had them within a 6 weeks. In both cases about 50% of the dealers emailed did not respond. Of the ones that did most either responded with a "call me", the MSRP or similar number. On the first vehicle the lowest quoted price was $1k less than what I was expecting to pay. I immediately called to confirm the price. 2 hours later I was sitting at his desk doing the paper work. $1k deposit and 30 minutes later I was on my way. 6 week later he called and asked when I would like to pick up the vehicle as it was delivered that morning.

The first one we did this way was 7 years ago. When we picked up the car I asked if he sold many this way. He said not many but he loves selling this way. In most cases he get the vehicle price and type up the reply email in under 15 minutes. If you walk in to the showroom it will can take a few hours to get to the same point most of the time (if it even gets that far). He also likes factory orders because if somebody factory orders a vehicle they are as good as sold. The vehicle leaves the lot the same day it arrives in most cases so he has no inventory overhead to worry about. Financing the inventory is a huge expense. If you try to haggle with him on one of these deals he will tell you if you find the same vehicle at a better price, buy it.

The only vehicle we did not purchase this way was the wife's Volvo in 2010. There are just not enough dealers in the area, even in Dallas. I figured if the vehicle was not local the time and expense to go it would cancel out the savings or be real close. While I was happy with the end price it did take a few hours to finally get it an acceptable price. Purchasing via internet/email was much easier.

Now to purchase a RV I would be willing possibly cast a radius of 1000 miles from home. There seems to be so much more mark up in them that I think you could find a dealer that understands most buyers who purchase this way are ready to go and it is a quick sale. So technically they are earning more per hour and that gives them time to pursue other possible deals.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Since we are full time, a local dealer is of little value. One like Tiara that do a ton of business with Keystone is very valuable, however.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Kevin, that is the way I do it, but being a retired contractor I hate what yopu did Bingo, I use to spend good time working on a good bid only to have somebody take it to someone to beat it.
If your local dealer had wanted the deal he should have given you his best deal right of the bat. It is unfair to anybody that takes the time to work up a deal just to have you just have somebody just bet it.

I do understand wanting to get a good deal and being able to work with a local dealer. I always tell the dealers to give it there best shot and winner takes all.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Hope I wasn't to sharp with my comments.
IMHO
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
No offense taken mtheo, but it is my money and it the salesman's job to earn it from me and others. If a salesman has an expectation that because they invest time in a customer that it is their customer only, then they are disillusioned. No salesman expects to close every deal. The dealer that was not local knew that he was competing with a local dealer and vice versa and that I was going back and forth between both and others as well. They both had equal opportunities to compete and the end result was to my satisfaction as a customer. It is no different in my professional dealings, if I bid out a project to multiple vendors, should each one feel slighted because they had to invest the time to do their calculations? In a sealed bid situation, low bidder typically wins, if it is not sealed bid and a contractor is willing to negotiate, I would be doing my company a disservice by not listening. That is what drives a capitalistic, free-market society, or at least should be.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote