Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Is WiFi on your credit card?

EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH THIS VIDEO
If you use a credit card or a debit card, you really should watch this video!

Wi-If Symbol on your Credit Card

YOU WONT BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING. WATCH VIDEO AND CHECK YOUR CARDS.
Check your newer credit cards for the Wi-If Symbol on it. You need to watch the video below to really know why I sent this to you.

Subject: RFID Credit Cards IMPORTANT

I read this about a couple weeks ago, and then checked my cards for the little "Wi-If Signal Icon" on each one. I found none w/that signal on them, but I was determined to watch for it when my cards came in on renewals. Well, yesterday I got my CHASE SLATE card AND THERE IT WAS ! My first time to see it. I'll not activate that card after seeing this. I guess I'll go to the bank and see if I can replace it w/a non Wi-If (Radio Frequency Card)....?

Thought all my contacts ought to see this if you've not already seen this demo....wow!

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
they make card holders for your wallet or purse that will stop from someone reading your card. even some banks or credit card companies will give you a holder for your card
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
This actually isn't new. We got our first reader for these cards two years ago and put it in the drive thru. It's just been lately that the card issuers have been sending them out to everybody.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Before you get too excited, do some research on RFID enabled cards. You might start here:
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/identity/pickpocket.asp

There is an exposure but it isn't likely. If you don't want to take any chances, hit the chip with a hammer. Problem solved!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Interesting subject. Thanks for Snopes reference. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I had a long typed response to this, but stupidly copied this link to back up my information.

What I am about to show you, I presented as part of a security brief about identity theft.

Now THIS IS IMPORTANT. If you go to this link. DO NOT provide your credit card information. To my knowledge it will only verify you card number, but why take chances.

Look at the next block of items that states, "Generate a credit card." Choose a bank from the 100+/- that are listed and click on a credit card. The web site will generate a credit card number where the algorithm is correct for the bank selected.

Now, here is the kicker. When I was attending an FBI seminar on Identity Theft back in the late 90's, this web site was as it is today. The instructor generated a cc number using this web site. Then, having the ability to do a national search he looked through their extensive data base to see if there was a person associated with this generated cc number.

He found a gentleman in Ohio that this cc number belonged to.

Lesson, not only stolen, or scanned cc's can be used by crooks, but any program that can generate an algorithm acceptable by businesses cc processors.

Smash the chip, or place it in a protective holder. Even aluminum foil will work. Many banks provide protective sleeves if you prefer to continue using the proximity scanners.

This link is for information purposes only.

DISCARD
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:06 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I feel an addendum to my long post is needed.

It is stated on the DISCARD web site, in bad English, that nowadays stores check credit cards when purchases are made. Yes, and they have become very complacent in that checking. The only true check is to ask for identification and verify the name on the card to a form of identity. Not saying that a crook cannot generate a false ID. Using a CC in today's world does require additional information, but typically only when using the CC for on-line purchases. The stores we shop in typically process by two means.

This may have changed some over the years, but I believe it is still the basic processing. If the limit amount they have set, say $300, is not exceeded, they can process as a batch process at the end of the day/shift. It is more economical for them using this process. If the limit amount exceeds their set value, it is processed right away and additional information, at the register, may be asked for. Unfortunately, thieves know this and will use a scammed card for minimum purchases, but they can go back into the same store several times. In today's world, we walk up, items are checked and we slide our card through the card reader. How many times have you seen "Show card to cashier?" Well we all know what they want, it is the last 4 digits on the card, so instead of showing them the card, you just give the last 4 digits and they punch it in and the card is verified. Not necessarily going to your bank at that time, just the algorithm is verified.

More and more establishments are curtailing this type of activity by specifically asking to see the ID, but the cashier complacency is more and more evident when you can just speak the 4 numbers. On-line, you need expiration date, ccd number from the back, name and address, etc., so perpetrators visit only those sites that do not ask for a lot of information, or they have the card holders information from other means, like dipsy-dumper diving (your trash can - shred - shred - shred)

Oh! if you are signing a register receipt for your CC purchase, it is most likely being batch processed. And, when you sign that receipt look to see if "All" your cc numbers are there. If they are, use the pen and blacken them out except for the last 4 numbers. When all the numbers are displayed it is an old processing machine that is being used. The newer ones will have xxxxxxxxxxxx and the last 4 numbers.

Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We have a little on line store and accept CCs. I don't know how many merchants do this but the card number you type in is NOT the number we receive. Our have a secure suite but this is beyond that so if we should become infected with a virus and someone could see what was on our computer they would have a hard time using the CC numbers. We haft to do some math on the number before we have a valid number.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
The only thing I can say is the guy in the video is in the business of contracting out his services to people that are afraid of everything new. If he did not put a little fear in people he might not be able to market his services and then he might have to go to work selling Kirby Vacuums door to door. If I was worried about someone taking my card info every time I used it to buy something on line or in a store I would never use it. Also I would like to point out a lot of people had the same fear when the debt card start to catch on around 1979 when I was working on the road in Beulah N.D. and boy did I like it back then. So I say bring it on! If the card company's have a lot of losses do to this new technology they with fix it.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you find someone that still has your full CC number printed on the receipt turn them in to your card issuer. That's been illegal for a number of years, but there still are some small mom and pop outfits out there trying to get by with it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote