Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Mountain Directories

I just learned about these two books from another list to which I belong:
Mountain Directory West for Truckers, RV, and Motorhome Drivers by Richard W. Miller
Mountain Directory East for Truckers, RV, and Motorhome Drivers by Richard W. Miller

Each one has state maps with numbers in triangles where there are areas of concern. When you check a number, it tells you the highway and the mile marker (on interstates), or the location if a state highway. The descriptions are very good .... % of the grade, length of the area of concern, etc.

Here is an example of an entry:

"US-219 between Lewsiburg and Marlinton, WV -- This stretch of US-219 includes many short 8 to 9% climbs and descents. Two of these hills are about 2 1/2 miles long. The rest are shorter but almost all have sharp curves."

So I come to the experts to get your input. Do any of you use these books? Is this information available on other sources (especially online)?

Walt and I haven't done any long distance traveling yet but we are chomping at the bit! Right now we are focused on the East directory as that direction will take us to visit our son.

Thanks for your advice.

Lynne

WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:55 AM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I have had them since 2002. Do not use the eastern very much but depend on western book when we travel out that way.
Check out route 14 A in Wyo. going into Cody Wyo. OH MY GOD HILL and they mean it.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:42 AM   #3
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I learned my lesson the hard way, but have since bought the western version. A few years ago while heading to Sedona AZ we took Hwy 89A from Prescott over to Cottonwood through Jerome. Anyone that has ever been on that road will tell you it is a no no with an RV. 10-12 percent grade coming down out of Jerome. I would highly recommend these books.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We've towed the Oh migod hill and since that we bought the western directory
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Granite Pass in mid/eastern Wyoming is a doozy, I think when we crested it it was over 9000 feet. Had my truck in 2nd and 1st gear going up it. Doing down it was not fun either, had pull over to let the brakes cool down. But beautiful views along the way that is for sure.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Since my last inadvertent trip over Independence Pass in Colorado we have been firm believers in the Mountain Directories. Well worth the cost in peace of mind.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Been over Granite pass several times, never gave it much thought. Independence Pass is another story.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have both the eastern and the western but find them a bit marginal both in terms of being complete and in accuracy. For instance, it doesn't note that Utah highway 12 has a 14 percent grade about 4 miles long with curves to 35 mph. It does mention some other grades. What is there is usually good info to be aware of but don't rely on it.

This past week we did Monarch Pass on US 50 in Colorado, at 11,310 feet, and 6% and 7% grades with many slow curves both up and down. We traveled west to east. I didn't find it particularly difficult and the truck just took it in stride, never getting above 217 degrees. We also have done that 14 percenter on Utah 12 and also Vail Pass and Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70.

I do consult the mountain directory to add to my awareness of what to expect.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OK, this is our first trip west of I 35. We have the western version of this book.

I have to say, that at this point, although the data there is a help, I see where it is lacking. Sorry if this upsets ya all.

There is no indication in the version of the book that we have of

1.) Summit height, a summit of 7,000 is totally different than a summit of 11,000.

2.) There is no indication of the grade going up. And, no, not every grade going up eastbound is going to be the same as eastbound going down. In most cases yes, but, not always. Sometimes the westbound section of road maybe laid a quarter of a mile away from the eastbound section of the same road at the same mile marker.

Number 1, is the most important, in our opinion.

That said, still a great resource, and we are learning!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote