Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Water Pump Silent, i.e. Not On!

Our fresh tank was not completely empty but almost, so we filled it this afternoon. While doing dishes, the pump stopped working. We did not run the pump/water for more than a couple of minutes when the water level was low this afternoon. Surely it did not burn out in that miniscule amount of time?

Air in the lines perhaps?

Hubby's way of getting out of finishing the dinner dishes?

It did this once before, even with a full tank. Came on for about 5 minutes and then did not work for a few days. Since then has been working fine and dandy, even here in the refrigerator known as southern Missouri.

Do not want to hook up hose to shore water, as temps have dropped a LOT this afternoon and we're looking at snow for the next couple of days . . . again! Or still!

Any thoughts? Well, thoughts are related to my water pump question?

Cheers!

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Did the pump stop running or did it continue to run and just not pump any water? If the pump stopped running I would check my 12 volt fuse panel for a blown fuse. Also check and make sure no one bumped into the pump switch shutting it off. If that is OK check to insure you have 12 volts at the pump. If not you might check the switch inside your unit that powers the pump. Have not heard of one going bad but anything is possible. If the pump is running and no water to the faucets, is it all faucets? Several people have reported recently of the pick up tube in the fresh water tank freezing. Not sure where you are in S. Missouri but here in K.C it is certainly cold enough to freeze. 4 degrees after a high of about 8 at my house. If you can provide answers to my first two questions perhaps others can help. Jim
Old 02-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Well, would you believe it's working now?

Lines "burped" so perhaps there was air in them?

All's well.

One more lesson learned: Fill tank when it is at 1/3 full!

We're learnin'!

Thanks for the reply!
TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
TxYellowRose,
I think you are saying that the pump actually was not running. Not just that it stopped delivering water. If that is correct then you must have a loose connection somewhere in your pump circuit. Often it is a loose ground wire. Before you have the problem again you may want to try finding whatever is causing the situation.

Good luck and let us know if you do find anything. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
TxYellowRose
It sounds to me like you had a air bubble right at the pump. We've had a "vapor lock" like that when we filled after emptying the tank. Leaving the kitchen faucet open for a few seconds with the pump running (it's almost silent when this happens) lets the air out so water can be sucked up the intake.
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
We had our pump go out on us this year at Quartzsite (total dry camping) so it was a real bummer. Fortunately, I could run into town and get a replacement relatively easily. I checked and had power at the pump so I know the switch inside was good and so were the fuses. Leaving faucets open did not remedy the situation and we had a full fresh water tank. Once the new pump was installed, everything worked as it should. I am thinking a pressure switch went bad in the old pump. It is still under warranty so I guess I will be carrying an extra pump along with me after it gets replaced.

Jack