Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Fresh water leak

Has anyone discovered fresh water leaking through the underbelly and couldn't find where it was coming from? We just spent three hours, two of us, taking the underbelly down and checking for the leak. We found nothing. Yes, there was a puddle in the center of one panel of the underbelly, but where it came from we don't know.

We checked every connection on the water pipes, but found no leaks. There didn't appear to be any moisture on the water pipes anywhere near where the puddle came from. We are now at a standstill, waiting for everything to dry up and then tackle it again in the morning.

I thought maybe it was caused by our fresh water connection not being tight and water could drip down the side of the rig and by some hook or crook running underneath and getting in the underbelly somehow. However, there is no leak at the fresh water connection. Baffling. I'm usually able to solve most of the problems that occur living this lifestyle, but right now it's a puzzle.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
possible that it is rain water or condensation build up ?
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Did you by chance turn off the supply water, make sure there is water in the fresh water tank and turn the in house pump on to see if it would build pressure shut off and not short cycle ? The big boys down at the pool hall say this is a way to check for leaking water lines and/or leaking connections in the rig.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:41 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Checked all the water connections. No leaks. No leaks found anywhere after removing the underbelly. Left if open all day yesterday and all night last night -- no leaks found. Last night it froze and the hot water line to the shower froze. It'll thaw sometime this morning as we are going to be in the mid 60's today.

We have a RV tech here in the park who is as baffled as I am. I've assumed almost every possible scenario that I can think of as to why there may have been water leaking and I can't come up with a good reason. I had even thought that maybe I overfilled the fresh water tank and somehow that water leaked into the underbelly. But that doesn't seem to have happened.

Orv
Old 11-27-2010, 02:07 AM   #5
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Did you just recently move to this location and maybe gathered some water from a wet highway during your travels.
Do you have a washing machine on board and just used it before noticing the water.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:26 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I don't know about the OEM black tank flush, but occasionally ours will dribble a little fresh water when flushing. Ours is aftermarket, and has a backflow device at the tank. When the screen in it gets a little debris in it, it leaks the fresh water out. Time for me to clean the screen. I added a screen where the hose hooks up, but it still clogs a small amount and dribbles the water in the belly. Just an idea.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:15 AM   #7
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Orv,

Our shower gray tank only leaks when the tank is full. This is because the plastic "weld" at the top of the tank has separated. Maybe you have a similar problem.

Grant
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ole dude

Did you just recently move to this location and maybe gathered some water from a wet highway during your travels.
Do you have a washing machine on board and just used it before noticing the water.
No, we have been here 10 days when it happened. We've buttoned the rig back up and so far okay.

Orv
Old 11-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

I don't know about the OEM black tank flush, but occasionally ours will dribble a little fresh water when flushing. Ours is aftermarket, and has a backflow device at the tank. When the screen in it gets a little debris in it, it leaks the fresh water out. Time for me to clean the screen. I added a screen where the hose hooks up, but it still clogs a small amount and dribbles the water in the belly. Just an idea.
Our rig doesn't have the black tank flush; that device came out a couple years after we bought ours.

Orv
Old 11-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BirdingRVer

Orv,

Our shower gray tank only leaks when the tank is full. This is because the plastic "weld" at the top of the tank has separated. Maybe you have a similar problem.

Grant
I thought about that since we had that trouble with the old gray water tank which was replaced with a new one in July. It could possibly be a crack in the new one however the water was fresh water, not shower water. If you spill the two types of water you can see there is a difference. The tech that helped me also said it was fresh water. I'm going to keep my eye on it to see if it reoccurs.

I was having a little trouble with a leak at my city water input and noticed that when the water was in the underbelly (now it wasn't gallons and gallons, maybe a couple quarts) that there was a dripping from my hose connection down the side of the rig. The water went down and under, and I thought maybe, just maybe there might be some type of capillary action with this water which might bring it into the underbelly. That theory was shot down though because everything was dry there. The water puddle in the underbelly was under the gray water tank. Oh well, I love this lifestyle. And at 78, if I can continue to be ambulatory, I'll keep doing it.

Orv
Old 11-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Vacuum breaker leaking under certain conditions?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Maybe it was a mischievous neighbor. Naawwww
Old 11-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Vacuum breaker leaking under certain conditions?
Have no idea what a vacuum breaker is, what it does, or where it's located.

Orv
Old 11-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Orv, the vacuum breaker keeps waste water from siphoning into the fresh water line. I think OZZ is referring to the same thing I did. I just called it a backflow preventer. I have no idea where it would be on your rig, but I do know they will leak at times.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Orv--- Check under the bathroom sink for the the anti-syphon valve.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote