Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
rodent conrol

Couldn't really find a good category for this question so will ask it here. Maybe the pet postings?? HA! My husband and I own a new 3400RL, which we keep near our home when not traveling. We live in the country, in fact, we are pretty isolated in the woods next to a lake. We took the Montana to SD in October for pheasant hunting. when we got in to check it out before departure, found fresh chews on dish towels, wooden knife handles, pot holders, etc., not to mention, little deposits left behind. Gross! Had to take everything out and wash it. Not happy!! We tried dryer sheets in all drawers, cupboards, closets, corners. We set traps inside both living area and basement of the RV. We placed moth balls in the basement and living space of RV. We caught a few mice in the traps, but when getting ready two weeks ago to leave for TX, found mouse droppings in kitchen drawers again and oven mitts chewed into (just the thumbs...strange mouse). Not as bad as the first time, but still there. They seemed to have liked the dryer sheets. Maybe I didn't buy the right brand! Discriminating rodents! Does anyone have a solution which works for them, other that what we've already tried?? We'd love to hear from you. Thanks.

PackersBackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
How to Build A Mousetrap

Follow the directions in the link above, I substitute Windshield Washer Fluid for the water, as I live in Sub-Freezing Temps part of the year. It is virtually impossible to keep the mice out of your RV if they're determined to get in, take your drawers out, and open the lower cupboards so that the mice if they get in, won't be trapped in there or have a nice place to nest. You want them to go right for the trap, they can't resist that Peanut Butter, they'll be pushing each other to get in the trap. I used one of these in my shed, and got 13 in one night since then two years ago I've only got two more, but I don't have any signs of an invasion (droppings, and chewed paper, or material).

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Try camphor blocks, works for us!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
dryer sheets (Bounce, for example) scattered around the 5th in strategic locations works for us. Don't know why it works but so far we have not had any mice even tho we have seen them around the area.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We use those electric sonic thinga-ma-jingies. (you mentioned you are parked by the house so assume you can run a cord?). we keep one on the counter in the kitchen, and one in the laundry basket hanging in the basement.

Starting using them a couple of years ago - so far.............so good!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #6
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Tried the dryer sheets, they did help, the "little darlin's" droppings showed up real good on the white sheets. Did the traps, when you got one you knew it. Checks traps often if not ,whew. Had a long talk with my old cat, all I got there was meow. Did like Brad, got a couple of the electronic thingie-ma-jigs,have seen no more mice.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:37 AM   #7
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
DW tried the dryer sheet solution by placing them anywhere and everywhere in the Monty. When we still had a problem proven by droppings and good ol spring loaded mouse traps she put peppermint oil on the dryer sheets. That seems to have done the trick. Found this recommendation in the Highways magazine.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:54 AM   #8
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Thank you all for new suggestions. We shall try them all and when the rodents are under control, we'll start working on the pesty, stinky Asian Beetles. Caught a couple hundred in RV in Oct. Used a coffee can with about an inch of water inside. Worked but is a hassle. Our older son, who is in the military said he found a potent insecticide sold only at a feed mill. It has some fancy chemical name. He sprays it all around the outside of their house, on every crack and cranny. Only a few got in. Of course, we will not be using that. Hate chemicals, especially harsh ones. If it kills the bugs, what is it doing to people, plants and animals??? So, guess we'll just keep the good old coffee can handy.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:32 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Cats, plenty of cats. We do not have a cat but there are plenty in the neighborhood. I fact one or maybe two live under our deck. Our small barn out back is mice free and we have never had one in the camper or in the house.. I watch them hunting every day. They all seem to have their territory and they keep it clean. We also live in a wooded area and there are plenty of critters around. These are truly fat cats.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:33 AM   #10
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
We purchase a bottle of liquid peppermint from the health food store. You put a couple of drops on a cotton ball, place it in a plastic sandwich bag with a few holes punched in it and put them wherever you have the rodent problem. It seems to work great and the smell is not too bad either. We had tried the dryer sheets and poison but the mice didn't seem to mind them at all. Snce using the peppermint we havenot seen any mouse droppings in the Monty.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:59 AM   #11
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Rich and Helen:
I (Judy) especially like your idea and know it would work quite well. Unfortunately, I live with a husband who detests felines. I had a housecat when he proposed to me and I said the cat was part of the deal or no deal. He reluctantly accepted my beloved cat but when he died (the cat, not the husband) I promptly heard NO MORE CATS. He does know that if he goes before me, I will once again have a cat, or two. We love Springer Spaniels so will always have one of them. He loves to catch mice too (the Spaniel, not the husband) but he's a house dog so not a lot of help there. Cat would be better. Will find other solution to rodent problem. thanks anyway.