Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Shower Leak

I have a 3575RL with a shower/garden tub. It seems the tub is leaking around the drain. Is there some kind of fix of this?

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The drain is just set in some plumbers putty with a large gasket and collar nut underneath. You should be able to try tightening the large collar nut first (access from basement). If that doesn't fix it, the putty may have dried out and you'll have to take it apart, clean it, and repack it.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:06 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Or as in our case an RV tech assembled it wrong.... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
Twotogo
Established Member

M.O.C. #8339
Our shower leaked in three different places. One was along the edge of the glass against the frame next to the wall. A bead of clear silicone sealer solved this problem. We also discovered that the drain leaked because the connection above the p-trap was loose. Mine is visiable just inside the basement door so was easy to access if you can contort you body a little. The third leak was at the lower corner next to the wall by the steps up to the bedroom. Again a little bead of clear silicone solved this problem. We discovered this one two years after fixing the others when we noticed the carpet was wet.
Twotogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:04 AM   #5
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
Mine also leaked at the drain. I crawled into the basement and unscrewed the drain pipe. Then pushed up the drain and cleaned it all off of the old putty. Then reapplied new putty and then reset the drain back into the tub. Hooked back the drain pipe and let it dry for a day before taking a shower again. No more leaking from the shower drain
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
02pullin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8959
Mike,

Ours is a 2003 3670 with the same shower and yep ours leaked. I use the
tan rv putty that comes in a roll. Took the drain out and cleaned all the surfaces. I installed a new drain that I got at Home Depot and has worked great. The rv putty that I'm using is a little tough to work with if its cold so i just let it warm up before before using. Also re did the kitchen sinks. Seems time and temperature dry out the putty that the factory used.
02pullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Ugh. Just got my computer back up and running. Thanks for the input. We are getting a wet carpet, well, once we did. Took out the panel in front of the garden tub and it was wet where the drain comes out of the tub, I think. Is not the easiest thing to see and the I have the bi-focal so I can't see a thing but get a great ache in my neck. This getting older is for the birds, if you get a choice, don't do it. My wife just took a bath yesterday and I was not able to detect any leak. I will check through the basement per your suggestion. There may be moisture there that is evaporating before I find it. I will let you know what happens...well, tax time is here and I do taxes free for clergy and religious workers and have already been contacted by 59 people, so it may take a while to get back. What a time to have a leak.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:05 AM   #8
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
I had the same problem with the shower drain leaking.. We have a 2008 3000RK. When they installed the shower they had the tail piece right against one the alumium frame.. When you stepped in the shower the floor would flex and break the shower drain seal.. After I finally got the drain out I cut away some of the alumium so the tail piece would not touch it when I stepped into the shower.. no more leaks so far..
lfw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:21 AM   #9
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I have the same problem with mine.I took it apart and resealed it,put it back together and I slowed the leak down.Haven't done it again,it's a pain to do.I have put a 5-gal pail under the drain till I get to do it again and that was 2 years ago.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:28 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes we leaked.. trashed the OEM drain. Properly installed a new and better drain and no problem since.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
If you live in most campers manufactured for a summers weekend use and maybe a couple of weeks a year you will quickly find yourself replacing many plumbing fixtures with home style quality. This is my fourth camper and it is the same story. Campers are just not built to live in. My wife and I camp at least 45 long weekends a year and I constantly have a "little projects" come up. I just accept it. If our stick homes were built like this we would be hanging the builders. Maybe this is why we have building codes for houses.
Have fun with your little projects!
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972

The drain is no my list of things to do...this is outside my comfort level so I will probably have to have my wife help, she is the mechanical one in the family.