Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2008, 02:06 AM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Front Landing gear HELP needed>>> FIXED

While tring to set up yesterday the landing gear locked up.. While Bill was trying to free it the shaft from the motor to the drive sprocket broke... Any and all help would be appreciated. We are propped up on jacks now and don't like it..

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:41 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

While Bill was trying to free it the shaft from the motor to the drive sprocket broke...
Helen
If you are talking about the shaft that goes from the motor (driver) side to the passenger side that is a common problem. The bolt that holds the square shaft to the reduction gear shaft has come loose, bound, and maybe sheared off. If this is the case my field fix was to put an alien wrench short end in where the bolt went and tape the long shaft to the square piece.
If this is not then we need a picture or more info. I have repaired my landing leg and there are some other posts on this. I am searching for the links.
Let us know what you find.

I did a search on Landing in the subject only and found nine listings.

If it is in the gear this post may help I linked to pictures of my repair.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:14 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Great pictures John.. Thanks.. Bill thinks that the trouble is in the leg itself but your pictures let us see what's inside.. We'll get back to you when we get it fixed.

Helen
Old 06-05-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Wish I was there to help you guys. Had to remove, take apart, fix and replace. Not a hard job. Foumd that the inner leg was bent. Good lucl in getting it repaired.

Dick
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We brought the Tana to Quality RV in Elk River, MN today and within one hour we had a whole new leg installed... They found stripped gears inside the leg that caused the shaft to break off.. Great service and all covered under our extended warranty.. I can't say enough about how good Quality RV is and you can bet our Big Sky will be purchased from them before too long.. Knowing that we are full timers, they got us right in and worked on it while we waited.. That is one dealer whose service is every bit as good as the sale.

Helen
Old 06-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Glad you got it fixed. If the gears were stripped be careful not to try and raise the legs too high. That was the warning I got from the manufacture. Put a mark a half inch from the top position and don't raise above it. If they chatter it is too much and damage has to potential of occurring.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:01 AM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks John.. Our dealer also said that those who use a remote control on the landing gear should THROW it away... He see's more stripping with the remote than pushing the switch and watching where you are at....

Helen
Old 06-07-2008, 05:37 AM   #8
rgreynolds
Established Member

M.O.C. #8217
Send a message via MSN to rgreynolds
On my 3295RK mine broke twice. One was my fault, went up instead of down and broke an internal shear pin. Ten cent part cost $125 to put it in. The other time was on the non-motor side the bolt was evidently loose and wore the hole in the short shaft until the shaft broke where the bolt goes through. Routinely check all bolts for tightness. Also the ones under the slides (that you can get to). Same principle as the front jacks, one motor side and one slave side. Lost a bolt on the slave side shaft and only one side of the slide out would go out. Luckily found it myself and stuck a tent stake through the hole till I could get a hardened nut and bolt.

Bob
rgreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:36 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

Thanks John.. Our dealer also said that those who use a remote control on the landing gear should THROW it away... He see's more stripping with the remote than pushing the switch and watching where you are at....

Helen
I would think with the remote you have a better view of the leg's position making it considerably easier to see your stopping mark.
I know on our trailer I have to bend down to see the mark when using the manual switch. I could just stand back and see everything when using the remote.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote