Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2018, 07:07 PM   #1
Mosnowman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19731
DISH Winegard Questions?

So I have been a Direct TV customer for many years. I am tired of new customers being treated better than loyal ones like myself. So I have decided to switch to DISH Winegard Trav’ler Fixed Roof Satellite on my new Fiver. I have several questions for you guys that have a Winegard Satellite. Not interested in tailgater etc. I am very familiar with issues regarding trees etc...I would like advice on the following questions.

1. Are you happy with DISH service using a Winegard?
2. I noticed Camping World has it on sale for $1,200 compared to DISH AT $1,600. Does DISH recognize you as a equal customer if you get your equipment from someone other than DISH?
3. Will DISH install on an RV or is it easy to do it yourself?

Thanks in advance!

Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:30 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On the old rig we had a roof mounted Winegard (traveler, I believer) and it was fine, on the new rig we have a Winegard G2+ mounted on the ladder. Both worked very well. The G2+ I installed myself and the traveler I bought from a company that installed it. All my Dish equipment I own myself and have never had a problem and have had excellent results with Dish. I currently also have a tailgater to use with our other TV or when i have to get out from under the trees. I got the tailgater free and one of these days I'll replace it with another G2+.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #3
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I bought a Lil-Travler through Camping World a couple of years back when they were on sale plus a discounted installation. This model is an actual dish that goes from stowage to in use with a press of the button. I have no problems with Dish Network as I am already a Dish customer. I pay a small amount extra to my monthly bill for each receiver when I am in the camping season. During winter I shut them off and just do my stick and brick Dish equipment. Only thing I can tell you is during camping season I usually turn on the TV's and the Travler to keep it connected. If you do not use it for an extended period of time they shut you off for inactivity and then you have to call Dish to reconnect, no charge but a PITA. It is really bad if you are some where in the boonies with out cell reception as then the satellite receiver works but you can't watch tv.

Tom Marty
Old 04-17-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
You can get it at Dyers for $1,199.96 and you won’t have to pay sales tax as you would at Campingworld.

http://www.dyersonline.com/winegard-...iABEgI9V_D_BwE
Old 04-17-2018, 10:06 PM   #5
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
We ditched DTV in our S&B back in 2005 for that very reason. Have been with Dish now for some 6 years at our current S&B. Purchased a Travler via Amazon about 18 months ago. Gotta love Prime. I got assistance from my dealer to install the dish on the roof. Everything else was on me. Dish didn't seem to care where I got my hardware from. In fact we are about to add a Hopper 3 and two Joey's to our rig to replace VIP's. Dish will send a tech to us to install the DPH-42 and solonode. We have been satisfied with the Dish customer service. I think you have to remember that customer service in general is going downhill. At the end I get what I need and you can you tell fairly quickly into a call or chat session if you have the wrong person for the needed skill set. I just remember that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Haven't had a problem I could not get resolved.

Buying and installing using CW is like a box of chocolates....you never know what your gonna get. They are just so all over the place from location to location.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:19 PM   #6
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
We ditched DTV in our S&B back in 2005 for that very reason. Have been with Dish now for some 6 years at our current S&B. Purchased a Travler via Amazon about 18 months ago. Gotta love Prime. I got assistance from my dealer to install the dish on the roof. Everything else was on me. Dish didn't seem to care where I got my hardware from. In fact we are about to add a Hopper 3 and two Joey's to our rig to replace VIP's. Dish will send a tech to us to install the DPH-42 and solonode. We have been satisfied with the Dish customer service. I think you have to remember that customer service in general is going downhill. At the end I get what I need and you can you tell fairly quickly into a call or chat session if you have the wrong person for the needed skill set. I just remember that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Haven't had a problem I could not get resolved.

Buying and installing using CW is like a box of chocolates....you never know what your gonna get. They are just so all over the place from location to location.
I agree with Dish customer service being good. Just today they helped me set up a new Wally I bought on Amazon. You can mount the little Wally behind the main TV where the connections and power are. It even has mounting slots. The remote has RF technology so it will operate without being in line of sight.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:00 AM   #7
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosnowman View Post
So I have been a Direct TV customer for many years. I am tired of new customers being treated better than loyal ones like myself. So I have decided to switch to DISH Winegard Trav’ler Fixed Roof Satellite on my new Fiver. I have several questions for you guys that have a Winegard Satellite. Not interested in tailgater etc. I am very familiar with issues regarding trees etc...I would like advice on the following questions.

1. Are you happy with DISH service using a Winegard?
2. I noticed Camping World has it on sale for $1,200 compared to DISH AT $1,600. Does DISH recognize you as a equal customer if you get your equipment from someone other than DISH?
3. Will DISH install on an RV or is it easy to do it yourself?

Thanks in advance!
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. I don't know. I had mine installed by Elkhart Satellite Service.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:37 AM   #8
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
We had Direct at home as well, as far as the actual operation of the system we were happier with them.
But switched to Dish and saved $100 per month, and Dish allows the addition of the RV system for a $7 per month per receiver charge, compared to Direct forcing another separate account $$$
We started with a Traveler X2 and a Wally, sure is nice to be able to put the antenna where you need it to avoid trees.
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #9
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk View Post
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. I don't know. I had mine installed by Elkhart Satellite Service.
Elkhart Satellite Service recently quoted me $2,200 for satellite and installation. That means they would charge $1,000 for about 3 hrs. or less labor. NOT!!! I hope you got a better deal than that.