Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #1
Taleena
Established Member

M.O.C. #11448
Opinions, Please?

Any more experienced eyes than mine want to take a look at this listing and see what they think? This is the Monty we're considering purchasing - http://www.campingworld.com/rvsales/...ontana/191967/. Two things not mentioned in the listing are it has 50amp and the Arctic package. We still plan on being there for the PDI, plus we'll have our own PDI done by an independent if we don't feel we can trust the dealership's version (we're having it moved to Dusty's Camper World in Bartow, FL for the possible purchase, since we didn't like dealing with the salesmen at the Ocala location when we called them). Does $10k in cash sound like a good starting offer from us, assuming there are no major issues found in the PDI? Anything in the pictures look like a deal-breaker?

Thanks for any and all help!

Taleena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Condition probably determines the pricing in the range you are listing. See http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2002/Keystone-RV
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I'd check it out very closely. The listing says it has a single door refer and there are two pictures of a double door refer. One thing to look carefully are the upper parts of the sides for water leaks...open the cabinets and check there, too.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
If I purchased it , I would certainly purchase an extended warranty .
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #5
Taleena
Established Member

M.O.C. #11448
Nadaguides.com shows a low retail of $12110 and an average retail of $14590 (base) for this model, but I believe I've also read on these boards that those numbers can be a bit on the high side. That's why I was hoping that more experienced Montana owners could give me an opinion (this is our first RV purchase). Right now, Camping World is asking $12995, which I why I was figuring a starting offer of around $10k cash would be my best bet, assuming a reasonably clean PDI.

As for the listing stating a single door fridge and the pics showing a 2 door, Camping World seems to be notoriously horrid at putting accurate info in their listings, but the pictures they show in the listings are what is actually there. Half the time, it seems like the salespeople don't even know what their listings physically have in them and I think a lot of the ads were put together by trained monkeys or something.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
To me that is a single door refrigerator. The second door is the freezer. FWIW, in the spring of 2011 we sold a smaller 2002 model (2955)for $7500. I think I'd offer $7500. I usually don't like service contracts but I agree with Larry, I would get one on this.
Good luck
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Taleena check out "stiles watson" post, you may also look at the trading post to see is something there that may catch your eye..
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Taleena
Established Member

M.O.C. #11448
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Just148

Taleena check out "stiles watson" post, you may also look at the trading post to see is something there that may catch your eye..
As much as I would absolutely love to own Stiles' truck & 5er, I'm sure it's waaay, waaay out of our price range. Just that gorgeous King Ranch alone is worth nearly what we have available to spend on both a 5er and a truck. We're limited to about $27k total for both, unfortunately, which is why we're looking at 7-10 year old set-ups. And to paraphrase Ed O'Neill in the movie "Dutch", at this time we probably couldn't finance a trip to the zoo, so there's no using what we have in cash as a down payment either.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
One spot that we had trouble with on our 2003 is the outside of the refrigerator where the outside air vents inter the camper. There isn't a lip on the inside of the white vent and rain would leak into the wall and ultimately spread to the floor under the refrigerator. It took quite a while for us to figure out what was causing the leak. At first we thought it was the flexible drip tube from the condensation tube. It is a place that you may not look. There are some fixes listed on this forum, basically you use a piece of aluminum or plastic and hold it in place with caulking to form a lip so the water can't leak in. Just one of many things that can leak on a rv!

Doing a PDI before making an offer sure seems like a good idea.

Good Luck!

judi
johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
A 2002 Montana (two ODS slides) in decent condition sold in our Florida park this winter for $7500.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Taleena
Established Member

M.O.C. #11448
Wow, is the mark-up for used Montys really that high? I knew new ones could have a substantially higher MSRP than you could actually negotiate a final price down to, but I was only figuring about a 20% - 25% drop from the asking price on a used unit in good shape.

Judi, thank you very much for the heads-up on the refrigerator vent leak possibility. That's one area we will pay very specific attention to when we go look at the Monty later this coming week. Thankfully DH and I are both very mechanically-inclined, so any minor problems that the Monty might have, we should be able to handle, assuming there's no serious damage to the floor below the refer or any other area.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Taleena

Wow, is the mark-up for used Montys really that high? I knew new ones could have a substantially higher MSRP than you could actually negotiate a final price down to, but I was only figuring about a 20% - 25% drop from the asking price on a used unit in good shape.
Yes, be sure you know what you can REALLY get a new trailer for, and negotiate with that knowledge. Those of us who have purchased recently have been able to get as much as 35% to 40% off of MSRP.

So go in knowing you can get a brand new $80,000 dollar unit for somewhere in the $48-$52k range and then start your discount off of that number for a used unit knowing it was never an 80k unit. Remember too that there are plenty of used trailers out there so don't get too attached to one unless you feel it's too good to pass up. Put out an offer, but if they don't bite, walk and keep looking or if you feel it's worth a little extra because of it's good condition, then negotiate a fair price.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The used price is also determined by what the market will bear and the state of the economy. Buying from C.W the unit should be in top condition with good tires.Any issues found on the PDI should be repaired. IMO 10K would be top $$$ IF the unit is in top condition.
We winter in Florida near that area and used Rv's are a dime a dozen there.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:10 AM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X2 with Rich. Unfortunately all of us get old and also reach the end of the road. That happens most in Florida , Texas and Arizona leaving those states with an overload of used rigs that folks need or want to get rid of. Makes your negotiating situation really good.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote