Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2005, 03:54 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
where to go in Florida

Where is the best place in Florida to stay for long periods of time?

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:57 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Now that is a tough question.
We winter in the Tampa/Clearwater area which would be the central Gulf coast. We find it to be not too hot and not too cold. The folks to the north of us do experience some freezing temps and it can get too hot for our liking in the southern parts.

Try to be more specific as to what your likes and dislikes are,
A particular time of year?
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:47 AM   #3
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
We love the warmth in the winter months. Although we are not full timers we go to the Naples area 4 weeks of the year without the M`neer.
There are some great State Parks in Fla. and of course the Keys we like if you can get a spot, but it is a bit pricey. Everglades City area if you love to fish, basically out in the middle of nowhere. Go online http://www.floridastateparks.org/or http://www.floridaparks.com/ All ranges of prices etc... good Luck and Happy RVing.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:49 AM   #4
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Sorry at the end of State parks url take off the or I put on. http://www.floridaparks.com/
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:11 AM   #5
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
The answer would depend on what your interests are. Fishing, (Everglades and Central) beaches, (SW Coast) fresh water springs, (North Central) shopping, (MIami, Ft Lauderdale) disney and attractions, (Orlando) historical (St Augustine)

Tell us more of what you would like to experience in Florida?
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:13 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I like the hot weather and I like to be near a pool. We like Disney but don't neccesarily want to be real close to it. I also love to shop. Thanks for your imput.
Cheryl (the other half of Dave)
Old 08-20-2005, 09:05 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just saw Cheryl's post. I don't particularly like THAT hot of weather. I would be interested in the Orlando area or somewhere closer to the west coast area. Does the FL state parks accept Golden Access Passes? Any suggestions on campgrounds in this area?
Old 08-20-2005, 11:24 AM   #8
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I like the Encore parks. I stayed in the Encore Winter Quarters Manatee for two years. It's located on I-75 in East Manatee County 15 miles inland from the Gulf. I stayed in the Encore in Kissimmee due to it's closeness to Disney (5 miles). But my favorite FL Park is Ft Wilderness at Disney. There is a nice Encore in the Disney area called Tropical Palms too. The closer to Disney the more expensive.

I like the Encore parks because they have plenty of amenities, good rates, nice laundry facilities, and other nice features. They are also in good locations on the West Coast or near Ocala. I'm not too crazy about East Coast RV parks like the one I'm in now. Info on Encore can be found on http:www.rvonthego.com

Not sure about the Golden Pass. I do know that Ft Desoto State Park near St Pete is about the best RV camping experience on the beach on the West Coast.

There is a petty neat RV park just East of Sarasota called Sun'nFun. A lot of RV'ers love this one.

Old 08-20-2005, 02:30 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Great info, fla native. Thanks. How about those that allow long term camping ~ 8 weeks or so? Do you move from park to park? We would be in N. Mich in the summer months.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:51 AM   #10
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Most private parks, like Encore have Daily, Monthly, 6 Month, and Yearly rates. It would probably be easy to negotiate 2 more months as most snowbirds stay 6 months and there is a lot of availability starting in May.

County Parks vary. I think State Parks have a two week minimum but I'm not sure on that. It may be longer. Info here http://www.dep.state.fl.us./parks/

Some people do move around because they like to stay in different areas of FL.

Old 08-21-2005, 06:39 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, again! How do people get along without these forums?? A very successful businessman once told me that a "WISE" person learns from OTHER people's mistakes.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:44 AM   #12
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
There are some great State and county parks here in Florida. For the State Parks go to Reserve America to check out the park layout and availability, for the County Parks here in Brevard County on the east central coast of florida there is Longpoint Park just off A1A north of the Sebastian Inlet and the Sebastian Inlet State Park is just south of the inlet. There is also Manatee Hamock County park in Titusville on the West side of the Indian river. I personally love the Disney Fort Wilderness Campground. We are Disney'd out from an annual pass but we still love the peace and beauty of the campground and the amenities for our little 8 year old grandson, plus it's centrally located for just about everything in the Orlando area.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:23 AM   #13
Montana_4432

M.O.C. #4432
I have an RV lot in Destin, 1 block from the Gulf. The area is known as the "Emerald Coast". It is absolutely beautiful with tons of stuff to do. The fishing is FABULOUS!

I rent my lot when I'm not there, so if you're not into MICKEY and the gang, it's a wonderful place to stay.
Montana_4432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:55 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Doesn't Destin get a little cooler in the winter months than west central FL?
Old 08-25-2005, 01:33 PM   #15
Montana_3956
Established Member

M.O.C. #3956
We've been in Fl for 35 years and there are a lot of Parks all over the state. We've also noticed that the Gulf coast is ALWAYS about 10 deg. hotter in the summer and 10 deg colder in the winter. The East Coast always has the trade winds blowing if you don't go to far inland.
Have fun. We hope you find a spot you like.
Montana_3956 is offline   Reply With Quote