Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Montana High Country

Just wondering if any MOCers have a High Country or if they are considering purchasing one? I would also like to hear any comments you might have about the unit. I really like the model 343 because it has the living room like the 3400 but with an enclosed bathroom. Also, the lighter weight would help the diesel consumption of the tow vehicle. We are 2 years away from upgrading and considering many different units. We saw and loved the Redwood. The salesman said it is the big brother to the Montana. Thanks for your anticipated responses!!! Joanie

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Not sure about the big brother claim!! I thought it was mid-line between the Mountaineers and the Montanas??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I'm not sure how much you'll save on fuel. I went from a 26 ft TT with a Gross of 7000 to 7500 lbs to the Monty 2955 and fuel consumption didn't really change. This was on my previous 2005 3500 DRW
Old 01-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I agree with Michelle. If you are going for fuel consumption I don't think you will see that much. Over 55 mph the resistance is wind not rolling weight and that does not change.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Joanie and Dave--If you are in Tampa you should have seen the New High Country! I hear they have finally gone to one color for the kitchen cabinets! Now that would make us consider them again since we did not like the two tone cabinets but did like the rest of the unit setup!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:29 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
IMO the high country is a winner. We took a good look at the models at the Tampa RV show.One model is a near copy of the 3400 but with a much improved and designed bathroom. The High country has the cable slide system that greatly reduces weight and is a proven system. I would not get to excited about the improved MPG although there should be some but the lighter weight will give a wider choice of truck. We noted no difference in quality or materials between the high country and the regular Montana. The regular 3400 is over the weight spec's of our 08 F-35-, 6.4L dually but the High country is well under. We would not hesitate to go with the high Country IF we were in the market..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:32 AM   #7
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
What makes the High Country weigh so much less? It can't be just the cable slides.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:39 AM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
If you are in the Tampa area, Lazy Days RV currently has a High Country 323RL on the lot....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:40 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
i can not remember the exact figure that we were told at the Fall rally when we saw the high country prototype but the cable system is much lighter all that steel and hydraulics are gone. The cable system operation was explained to us and it is a pretty simple system.

The web site states up to 2500lb reduction using the helium technology. Not sure exactly what that includes but we saw the new improved insulation material demonstrated at the fall rally a couple of yerars ago

There is a 2670lb dry weight difference between the Montana 3400 and the high country 343Rlwhich are very similar.

I can't see improved insulation reducing that much weight unless that figure includes the cable system.

i asked what the insulation was and as told it was made by thermal industries???
Old 01-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
My problem is, WHERE DID THEY TAKE THE WEIGHT OUT?
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:14 AM   #11
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
They explained that the weight reduction came from the following: they use a laminated wood floor, stainless steel sink, cable slides, Italian poplar used for the walls is less weight. Also, they use less "real" wood in cabinets, etc. The counter tops are not corian and I guess what they use is less weight. Brian and Aram both said that many different changes went into the weight reduction. It has the power rear stabilizerss and power awming, but I am disappointed that the storage doors don't have the little pistons and newer locks. They have also eliminated the upper reflective liner in the roof. Because it is a little shorter than the 3400, it doesn't have as much room next to the bed and there is no cabinet there either. You can only have a queen size bed and I don't think our "expanded" queen sleep number bed would fit in there. We are still a couple years away from upgrading (unless we win the lotto).
Old 01-16-2011, 05:48 AM   #12
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
I looked one over at our Northeast spring rally and I recall that the wheels were a six bolt pattern not eight. I think they cut back on axle capacity to go along with the other weight reductions. Not sure if the frame is lighter? I didn't like the idea of less axle and tire capacity.
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #13
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
DH says that when we toured the Keystone (Montana) factory in Sept that the rep told him that they only offer 2 different axles - a 6 ton or an 8 ton. Not sure what you saw at the spring rally.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #14
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
We too have been looking closly at the 343RL with a lot of interest. We like the enclosed bathroom over the 3400 but like you, are disappointed a queen bed is our only option. We also have a tough time with the two tone cabinet's so I hope it's true Keystone did away with them.

In my research i've learned there is approx a 200 pound per slide savings with the cable slides so that's 800 pounds in a 4 slide camper. Are cable slides reliable?

There is not a lot of information that I can find about Helium Technology.... If this technology is so great without sacrificing quality then why don't they build all of their campers to some degree with this same technology?
08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
We just got back from the Walnut Ridge RV show at the Hamilton County fair grounds here in frozen Indiana. Good thing they had a lot of models inside. We looked at the High Country 313 and 343. Wow those blonde cabinets with dark wood interior is an eye sore. I guess it is light weight with Helium technology. Maybe somebody finally put helium in the tires
They had every model that Keystone and Montana offers. You know they also have the High Country in the Outback line.I like that full body paint job.
I had to pull my wife out of the 3455SA. She was ready to write the check. I must admit that is one fine unit but we have a lot of years left on our 3400RL. We have only been weekenders up until this year so our 06 is just barely broke in.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"I looked one over at our Northeast spring rally and I recall that the wheels were a six bolt pattern not eight. I think they cut back on axle capacity to go along with the other weight reductions. Not sure if the frame is lighter? I didn't like the idea of less axle and tire capacity.'

No it has the 8 bolt pattern. The 343RL with a GVWR of 12,410 may have 6 K axles and that would be well within limits. It also has Load range E tires also within limits of that weight range.
They do not offer the bigger fridge. IMO it is a good attempt at a lighter 5th wheel that can be pulled with a 3/4 ton truck.. We also do not care for the lighter cabinetry.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #17
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Richfaa...they do have the double fridge. It was in the 343 at the Tampa show. Also, everyone I talked with from Brian to Lazydays guys all said that the 2 tone is gone. They will only have 1 color wood after this. Indy - we also have an '06. It is a 2955 and we have been weekenders as well until last spring when we retired and went out for 5 months. The 2955 is fine really and holds all my "stuff" well. We are planning on "if and when" for the future. We also liked the 3455SA and were considering that for a long time. We also liked the 3615 and now are back to wanting the 3400. That is one reason we aren't ready...we can't make up our minds!!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #18
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Send a message via AIM to arcateq
Well i will try and comment on the Montana High Country since we actually own one. We have the 333DB which works great for us since the 2 year old twins can have there own room and bath. Have to say we love it. We purchased it in September and no major problems so far. (We had a cable snap because they didn't have it adjusted right. It snapped at the dealers. Under belly by the hitch came loose so they added a metal strip and screws to hold it up. They should have done that to begin with. I think the water pump is pretty loud so I will probably be switching that out later. Front jack blew on the dealer lot too. But all that has been fixed.) The lighter weight of this trailer gave us the floor plan we wanted to pull with our truck. I was not a big fan of the two tone cabinets but have to admit they have grown on me and i actually like them now. We love the smoke gray outside as well. Wheels on ours are the 6 bolt pattern with the E's no Mor/Ride® suspension. On gas milage i will say that i get better gas milage pulling this 36.5 foot trailer than i did hauling my 820 Lance camper around. But i think thats because i keep my foot off the gas more with the HC. I am looking forward to adding things like a generator, possible slide toppers, washer Dryer... however outside the generator not sure how much i will do because i need to keep the weight down. Feel free to ask any questions.
arcateq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #19
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
At the Tampa show the factory rep, Jim, said that there were 60 things that are lighter in the HC and that is how they got it lighter, as already mentioned the kitchen sink and counters are just 2 of the things. Even the valances over the window are eliminated and there are now just 1/2 of a curtain rod that hold the side curtain, etc. yes, the two tone wood is GONE
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave..You are correct I had my campers mixed up... We took pictures of the one at the show. I like the high country and IF we were to purchase new that would be it..However..we have far to much money in this 06 3400 to let it go. Oh..one thing we did not like about the 343 HC is the W/D in the front of the camper.. Helen is talkig about taking down all our window valances..