Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Bulldog 73-06

M.O.C. #9303
Truck buying on ebay

I've seen some trucks I'd be interested in on ebay. Has anyone used ebay to buy a truck? What was that experience like?
Thanks

Bulldog 73-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
I bought my truck on eBay. Had an interesting experience however. I originally bid and won on an auction for a 2008 Ford F350 King Ranch with about 47k miles on it from a Florida Dealer. Dealer had high reviews so I felt comfortable with that. It was a holiday weekend when I bought it and so did not get a reply from the dealer until 3 days after bidding and when I did he advised that someone else had bought it off the lot. I was pretty mad at this because it was a good deal and complained to eBay who basically said there was nothing I could do. Lesson would be to contact the dealer prior to finalising the bidding.
In the end I ended up with an even better deal. For the same price I got a Ford F350 XLT with only 2600Mi on the clock but which had had so many extras added to it it was practically a Lariat spec. This I also got from a dealer. The dealer was a major BMW dealer who traded the truck on BMer and was only looking to recover trade-in cost. The previous owner had taken a real bath on the truck as the Ford spec sheet indicated an original price over $20k above what I got it for. The truck is practically brand new and having driven it now from Atlanta to Middlebury, In, we really love it. Still haven't towed the Monster yet, however, as plates hadn't arrived before we had to return home (NZ.) Currently have it stored in Chicago awaiting our return in May.
Anyway back to your question. In the end my eBay buying experience ended up well. I did buy through a dealer so could not comment on private sales.
Cheers
Craig
KiwiRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I bought my daughter an SUV off of Ebay and had a good experience. Like stated above, make sure you are talking with the dealer before bidding and that there are lots of pictures of both the interior and expterior. You may even want to talk with the advisors at Ebay because I found out there is some protection there as well. They shipped the car from Texas to my daughters door in Massachusetts which cost us about $500 but the deal was good enough to still go for it. The anticipation about whether or not the car would be like the pictures gave me a few more grey hairs though. All turned out well in the end. I guess there is nothing like touching a car before buying it but.......
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I sold my last truck on Ebay and the buyer got one great deal! It was either sell it on Ebay or virtually give to the dealer on a trade.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote