Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
WHAT!? Another newb... just minutes ago...

Hello everybody,

Yup, we're newbs to this club, we're younger than most retirees (under 55, ugh) and I like to leave long informative messages. If I wanted to leave short non-decipherable, cryptic, hard-to-understand messages I would use "texting" or "twittering" and chat with no punctuation or grammar like a 15 year old. But I'm an older, mature, semi-intelligent, responsible adult that has a pretty good command of the English language.

We are some-timers, not full-timers or no-timers! We have a 2006 Montana 3500RL (with a 2005 French Doors floorplan). I tow it with a 2006 Ford F-250 CrewCab SRW 4x4 Line-X spray on Longbed and BakFlip cover with a Valley 7054 16K hitch.

We still live in a house with a foundation because my wife wants a predictable location where the kids and grandkids can visit for the holidays but we wanted to Camp in Luxury (or close to it). But I reserve the right to cart us away for a sometime trip to parts everywhere.

We haven't gone any place longer than about 10-11 days in our rig but we do go out often enough to keep up the skills and knowledge and fix a problem or so. It's amazing how smart I'm getting by having to fix stupid things. I suppose over time I shall explain some pretty clever and inexpensive solutions I have been able to put together.

While we live in California, places we've been (trailering or driving or Amtrak) include Alaska several times, all the way to Florida, all the way to Maine and all parts in between. At last count we've been to 40 states and 2 Canadian Territories. We've been on Cruises to Alaska and the Caribbean and yes, occasional flights to include Puerto Rico and the UK. But our preference is driving or towing. I am also an avid backpacker but just in the California wilderness areas like the Eastern Sierras and the local Southern California mountains - just enough to remind me that RVing with the wife is a much calmer way to spend time away from home especially since we take hikes, too. But you just can't beat chasing wild animals away from your backpacking food. Hey, wait a minute, we chased wild animals away from our trailer too.

Okay then, I like long messages but must be reasonable, so we'll see you around and I look forward to starting new friendships.

Best Regards,
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA (yup, another Californian, but I was born in Texas decades ago)

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
Welcome!! We too, are relatively new to RVing. Almost 3 years and loving our Montana. We mostly do quick trips...DH is not yet retired. We have done a couple of long three week trips. One to Spring Training ( working on that 'Bucket List'...go SF Giants) and the second to Victoria up through Oregon and Washington. Happy trails. Ken and Marilyn
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the forum!! Don't worry, there are those will run you a race for long posts. Happy RVing............................................. .........
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Welcome, Art and Marge! You're going to love the MOC forum. Since you are in California, are you planning to attend the 7 Feathers rally? It's on your side of the world. For us, it's a couple of states away, but we will be there (our first rally).

Where in Texas were you born? I was born in East Bernard and my husband was born in El Campo. We lived in the Wharton/Houston area for years before moving to Austin, which we loved. We're living in Montana now but will return to Texas before too long to establish sort of a home base in an RV park owned by friends of ours. Then, we're moving to the fulltiming side of RV life.

Again, welcome!

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Carolyn-- You just built that new stick house up there and now you're
setting up in Texas and going fulltime??!!?? Wish I had the money to do that!
By the way Art,, welcome to the forum! It's a great place to live and learn! Even create a little fun too!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:49 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome Art to the ever growing MOC Family.
Lorraine and I are fulltimers since Oct 03. We own no propety anywhere. We winter in Clearwater, FL and travel the USofA during the summer months.
Being over wait, out of shape and (I hate to admit it) a smoker I get way too winded to make long posts or posting long replies. I always try to keep things as short as possable and clarety is one of my stromg points. My grammer and speling is far and above the rest. I never try to particepate in heated discussions. I lay no claim to being an expirt on anything. You see an "expirt" broken down is a has been drip under pressure ( EX-spirt) I try to keep my opinons to myself and would never think of stating any thing but absolute fact.
OK now I am getting way too winded puff huff to be able to continue this post and therefor will be ending it right here.

One other thing while I am at it. We have a 07 3485SA that we pull with a 05 GMC 2500HD with the Duramax/Alision combo. We also use a Pullrite Suprglde hitch and have the Firestone Ride right air bags. In have done a number of mods but am way to modess to do any bragging.

Huff/puff Ok thats about all I have to say at this point in time so I am signing off.

One last thing---I know there will be some family members saying that what I have posted above is puff huff is a lot of hog wash but don't you beleev any of that hooy. I am about as straight forward as a preacher and would never lye to a friend much less puff huff a family member.

puff huff puff huff OK now I am about to pass out so I realy do gotta end he........................
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:52 AM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Welcome Art & Marge to this great MOC family. Maureen & I also retired in our early 50's, although she still takes the occasional shift as a nurse and I play with a small cattle herd to keep us busy. We still need a stick house to call home and consider ourselves longtimers. We look forward to sharing your experiences and some of those clever fixes you've come up with. Keep us posted.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Wow!

Thanks for all the kind welcoming words. To address some questions and provide more info, I was born in San Antonio Texas, but moved to the L.A. area when I was 10. My wife was born in Santa Monica, so she's a local girl. We've been married for only 34 years and I have been an avid camper (backpacking/hiking) since high school. After marrying and having our 2 kids (boy and girl) I converted to tent camping. Then as the kids got older and the females got less tough we bought a folding camper. We eventually graduated to a travel trailer after the kids moved out of the house and then finally when I retired in 2006 I bought the Montana.

All types of Camping is in my blood and with my Engineering background, camping tools, toys and gadgets are what I like. Even my backpacking gear impresses some. I don't leave too many conveniences behind and will typically have something for every situation that could arise. I have not run into a problem I could not fix (mostly for others' sake). I hate the problems but I love being able to solve them. But, mostly I love learning new things from the more experienced. Yup, I am a nerd and proud of it.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Hi Art, welcome aboard. Our daughter lives in Hemet and we driveway camp at her house a few times a year. At that point I guess we are almost neighbors.

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Hi Art and welcome to the forum. I have met Glenn and Lorraine and will be the first to say that Glenn is the "go to guy" here if you have any questions on fulltiming, RVing or tires. Great guy and always willing to give advice. Sorry Glenn but I had to "out" you cuz nobody else did....Joanie
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Ray and Janet. We are neighbors since Hemet is only about 15 miles away. My wife's brother has worked at in Hemet at one of the hospitals there for about the past 10 years. We swing through there on our way to Idyllwild, or Palm Springs. We can't avoid the town and don't want to since it offers everything! What a small world.

CasaDelSol... Outstanding! thanks for the recommendation. Anyone with almost 10,000 posts has got to know something, so I'll keep Glenn and Lorraine in mind!