Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Polls
Click Here to Login

View Poll Results: 4 x 2 or 4 x 4
4 x 2 (Four by Two) 278 19.28%
4 x 4 (Four by Four) 1,164 80.72%
Voters: 1442. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #21
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Wouldn't be without 4x4. We live on a deadend dirt road here in Western NY and wouldn't be able to get home half the time in the winter without it. Also use low range all the time for backing into spots, Put it in low range reverse and just idle into just about any spot. Saves gunning the engine and lurching backwards. Have 6 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors on the TV, very aggressive tread patern and are wearing great.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #22
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We now have three 4X4 vehicles in our household. The other morning after work I had to take the grand-daughter to her day care. Well her day care is about 5 miles out of town and there is one steep hill and narrow roads to navigate. With about 4-5 inches of snow on the ground & a 5 or 6 foot drop on one side to a creek, it was a good feeling to have the 4X4 for navigating through that mess. Although I was really enjoying it, I was tired and didn’t want any problems.

With the long wheel base and dually wheels I notice you can loose traction very easily. There isn’t much weight for traction over the axles. I have used the 4X4 several times since I’ve had one and I don’t think I could get along without it now.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #23
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I think 4x4 is even more important in a dually. The only thing worse than two wheels not being able to gain traction because of no weight in the rear drive wheels, is four wheels not being able to gain traction. The drive in the front of the truck will definitely help since that's where the weight will be.

Reminder, I have read too many times that a dually 4x4 will pull a rig out of mud very easy but one must remember to pull straight out. I read that trying to pull this out on a turn won't work since the RV wheels and tires become sleds on a turn and the turn should only occur after the RV gets going. Just what I've read and makes a lot of sense. I try to avoid mud as much as I try to avoid snow and ice. Too much Southern California in me.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #24
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
4X4. Got caught in deep gravel and tires of trailer on one side went to rim edge. Put it in 4 low and it pretty well idled out of the gravel. I am also in a snow belt area and two wheels just spin unless I load back end down with weight. Put it in 4 hi and I am solid on the road without the extra weight. Bit more costly and reduces cargo capacity of truck but worth it IMHO.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #25
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Pretty interesting post. When I was looking for my tv, my 1st thought was 4 wheel drive. But then I said, why do I need 4 wheel drive for Rving. I will be full timing and never in the cold again. So no snow. Never even thought about the mud, sand etc. Also said I don't want 4 wheel drive due to maintenance on it. After reading this thread I am a bit disappointed in my choice now. Will just have to pay attention where I am going. Also starting to consider the MDT, or bigger. But what do you do with them, there not 4 wheel drive?

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:27 AM   #26
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
4x4 because you never know when you're gonne need it - and this is from a Texan who had to look up the word "snow" recently.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:36 AM   #27
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
As I stated in a previous post if I was to go back to a P/U I would get 4x4. While I consider it a plus for RVing, I do not consider it a must have. In the 9 years I have been driving my 4x2 F250, I have got it stuck 3 times and never in the 5 years I have been RVing. (2 times were when responding to Fire Calls and I had to move the truck off the road in wet weather to let other Fire equipment by on small 2 lane roads). I do have a limited slip rear end and that does help in low traction situations.

Now if 4x4 gives your Peace of mind then yes it is worth the expense, but don't think just because you bought a 4x2 truck that you have bought the wrong truck. MDT & HDT trucks are becoming more common for pulling 5th wheels as the trailers are getting heavier. 4x4 is rare in them and I have only seen 1 RVer who has 4x4 in a MDT. None in HDT. Also keep in mind how many Class A & Class C RV's are out there. How many of those do you see in all wheel drive?

I guess what I am trying to say the 4x4 or 4x2 argument is much like the 3/4 ton, 1 ton, MDT or HDT arguments. At the end of the day you have to make a decision based on what you are comfortable with. There is no right or wrong answer.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #28
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
No doubt in my mind after about 45 years of driving...even if I were not living in Alaska I'd still buy 4X4. I almost never use my insurance coverage but I keep it up to date - same thing to me.

danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #29
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
4X4....I engage it for about 10 miles around the beginning of each month to keep everything lubed and working properly. Like others have said....you never know when you might need it and it is good to have when you do I too like using low range when backing in at home as my parking area is slightly uphill. I installed the "Full Pull Towing Mod" a while back and it works well for backing in low range and keeps the front end locked out.
Jack
Old 02-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #30
kountry traveler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9428
WE have a 4x2 cummins Dodge that has worked out well for us and have two insurance policies with good towing benefits that I think I could use if needed. I've always said if I can't there with a two wheel drive I'm not going.
It is my thought the upkeep on a 4x4 will be somewhat higher then a 2x4 and you will lose a few mpg also. I know everyone has different needs and opinions on many subjects and whatever works for you is fine.
Just wanted to comment on the 4x4's and really feel for me it would be a waste of money.
kountry traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #31
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
I too have a 4X2 and in the 5 years I've owned my truck and towed the Monty I have not been stuck (knock on wood). I do have 2 other vehicles that are 4x4 just not my towing vehicle.
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't think there's necessarily a right or wrong choice on this topic. If we didn't have 4x4 we could probably get towed out by a neighbor, friend, or commercial operator if needed.

However, we have been in situations where I had no expectation that I'd need 4x4 to get out of. One was a few years ago when on the road driving a two-laner in South Carolina. For a long forgotten why reason I pulled over onto the grass shoulder. Probably a potty stop or something. I did not realize how much rain they'd had in that area. The grass was beautiful, the shoulder smooth and level. But darned if we didn't just spin rear wheels when we went to take off again. 4x4 got us out of there but I'm sure the SC highway dept was not happy with what we did to the shoulder.

Another time, in Virginia, we set up for a month in a very nice site. The site was gravel but the access to the backin site was grass. We got so much rain that month that when we went to leave, you guessed it, nothing but spinning rear tires until we put it in 4x4. We stopped at the office and let them know we tore up that section. They said they were planning to gravel it because that's not the first time it's happened.

My point is we can easily avoid situations where it's obvious 4x4 is or will be required. The value of the 4x4 to us is for those times we were caught unexpectedly in those situations. Maybe others are better at figuring that out in advance.

In any case, I don't think 4x4 is an absolute necessity. There's always another way out. It may just not be as convenient as having 4x4. Just my opinion, anyhow.

On edit, I neglected to mention the many terrific experiences we've had and scenery we've seen simply because we could take some of the backroads and easier 4x4 roads. We do not have a dually, which would have somewhat limited that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:23 AM   #33
mwmemt

M.O.C. #10145
Send a message via AIM to mwmemt
This is our 1st Montana, 10 year Anniversary. We love it. We have a 4x4 and have to use it a couple of times getting out of the sand. Never would of made it with out it.
mwmemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:52 AM   #34
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
I was surprised to see so many 4x4's and so few 2x4's in this poll. I lived in Pittsburgh for 50 years and never owned a 4x4 and got around. We have had a fifth wheel since 03 and have yet had a reason to require a 4x4. I always figured if all the semis on the road haul all over the country with out requiring 4 wheel drive I should be able to tow without it also. Maybe I am too thrifty to spend the extra $$cash. I look at it as just more weight to add to my already 22K pound load and I have better pin and tow capacity.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #35
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Having to cross the back 40 acres to get to the road requires a 4x4 for us...cannot enter into the driveway..have used a couple of times in campgrds when on soft ground/grassy areas etc to keep from damaging the turf....use it on the farm as well..
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #36
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Our tow vehicle has 4x4 capability and hope we never need it, but there have been a couple of campgrounds we have stayed at when we had our TT that would have required 4x4 to haul the larger fifth wheel we now own back to the highway. One of these was in Tenn and was located in such dificult terrain that our SUV was spinning its tires on the PAVED access road out of the site! Like other folks commenting on this subject, we are glad to have it just in case....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #37
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Yeah,
I gotta four-wheel drive dually (guess that's six-wheel drive). I've only had this bad boy six months but already had to use the front end to "push" the RV into a tight slippery site. I probably could have continued to use just the rear wheels but they were spinning a little and I wanted a more controlled back up - u never know when they might grab and you're already applying more power than u really need so . . . "be careful out there"
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:32 AM   #38
gypsies2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10209
Thought long and hard about 2WD before buying my latest 350. Liked the idea of having less weight to service and haul around, less initial cost, and I'm old enough to remember when the only 4WDs available were war surplus jeeps and dodge power wagons. All 1/2 tons were 2WD in spite of long hard winters.
However, to get one meant special order as no one up here brings in 2WD. Short story, bought another 4WD (#4). Like the 4WD for all the reasons mentioned in earlier posts. Great insurance when you do find that slippery spot, really like the 4WD low for backing into rough or tight spots because you just idle in.
The final reason for me was that when I get too feeble to crawl back to hook up I have a better chance of selling a 4WD in this part of the country where you have 4 months of winter and 3 months of "bad sledding"
gypsies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:11 AM   #39
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Just rejoined the 4x4 brotherhood- Traded Ol Dusty (95 F350 CC Drw) for 05 3500 GMC CC Drw- Had a 4x4 Chevvy back in the day we played in the mud and snow- Couldn't find a 2x4, so got a 4x4 (really a 6x6)- I am sure it will be needed sooner or later- Good to be back in the "club"- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:43 AM   #40
tjuhl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7213
I have a 4WD Dodge and have pulled a travel trailer and then the Monty about 25000 miles and have never needed the 4wd, but I'm not sorry I have it. I do, however, wonder how much always driving the front axle and driveshaft may hurt fuel mileage.
tjuhl is offline   Reply With Quote