Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2017, 07:11 PM   #21
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
topjustice, I wouldn't think that would matter but someone else may think otherwise. I also started a thread on which airbags are better. Most are suggesting Airlift after market.

mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:28 PM   #22
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
topjustice, I wouldn't think that would matter but someone else may think otherwise. I also started a thread on which airbags are better. Most are suggesting Airlift after market.
Thanks. I will check the other thread as well. My Firestones are virtually new so I won't be in the market to replace them. They handled my Alpine just fine. I may want to change the Montana pin box at some point so I will see what boxes are recommended for TVs with airbags.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:53 PM   #23
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjustice View Post
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is airbags. As I said before, I haven't yet picked up my Montana but I do have Firestone airbags on my TV from my earlier 5er. With airbags already installed, does that change the recommended pin box choices?
I have a NON-expert opinion on that as someone who will have airbags installed on my 3500 AND have an airbag in my 5th Airborne. I'm sure they'll both contribute to smoothing out up and down movement but TV airbags only would still cause some rebound felt by the driver and passengers wouldn't it?

My expectation, or hope anyway, is that bounce in the trailer will be neutralized by the air bag in the pin box. The TV airbags will smooth out the whole system and combined the cabin can be smooth enough to be used for en route hamster surgery.

The Aviators TV Website | Facebook Page | YouTube Channel
Streaming Episodes (iTunes, Google Play, Amazon)
OutlawPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:05 AM   #24
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I don't understand the chucking issues people say they have. I have had 3 different Montanas with 3 different pin boxes. The first 2 Montanas were pulled with 2 different trucks (Dodge & Ford) using 2 different hitches (Reese/B & W) and the current Montana is pulled with the same Ford which has Air Lift bags and the same B & W hitch. I always scale my unit and make sure I have enough weight on the pin and have NEVER had an issue with chucking even during our 7+ years full timing. Maybe some aren't monitoring pin weight?

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:41 AM   #25
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
mtlakejim ... I'm not irritated .... just messing with ya.
As far as air bags and air ride pin boxes ... I have Air Lift bags and the Airborne pin box and feel they work together without issue. The pin box does its job and the bags do theirs.
Some are fortunate to have the near perfect hitch up combo and experience no chucking ... the rest of us depending on where we're going get a bit of chucking going on. That makes us want to experiment with aftermarket products. Once again pointing out probable differences from FTers and seasonal RVing. I may be loaded one way headed to a lake and another way headed to the sand dunes and another not double towing ... I'm not going to scale each time.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #26
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
I just got off the phone with the manufacturer of the 5th Airborne for an explanation as to how the airbag/shock combo aids chucking specifically (it's obvious how it aids up and down movement).

Apparently, the lower jaw to which the kingpin is attached moves. It pivots on the bolt at the front of the unit. This would be a similar action to the TrailAir RotaFlex. The combination of the lower jaw pivot, the cushioning of the airbag, and the control of the shock are claimed to reduce chucking by 60%, which isn't an unreasonable claim in my estimation.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #27
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Full time, I am like Diesel guy in that I am constantly changing how my 5th wheel is loaded and even more so now that I have the basement garage. While I might go to the trouble to adjust load in an airplane it isn't going to happen on my 5th wheel and in some cases cannot (its not like I can move the location of the garage).
The chucking we get is relatively light in our 1 ton but it is enough that on a longer trip would be an aggravation. It is a front to back motion that makes you feel sorta like a baby being burped. I can see where on a longer trip it would be very tiring.
I also like the idea of anything that will improve the ride and stresses put on the trailer itself. Since ours is brand new, now is the time to add components that will enhance its longevity.....
Old 11-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #28
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Amen to that!

Old 11-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #29
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Full time, I am like Diesel guy in that I am constantly changing how my 5th wheel is loaded and even more so now that I have the basement garage. While I might go to the trouble to adjust load in an airplane it isn't going to happen on my 5th wheel and in some cases cannot (its not like I can move the location of the garage).
The chucking we get is relatively light in our 1 ton but it is enough that on a longer trip would be an aggravation. It is a front to back motion that makes you feel sorta like a baby being burped. I can see where on a longer trip it would be very tiring.
I also like the idea of anything that will improve the ride and stresses put on the trailer itself. Since ours is brand new, now is the time to add components that will enhance its longevity.....
I try to limit to 450 miles a day so there is nearly no stress compared to the 700 - 800 mile days. You mentioned my main concern, the stress on the trailer. Before I go with a new pin box I'll see how the B&W Patriot hitch responds. That will be installed next week in time for our snowbird trip.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #30
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
CaptJohn,
When retirement finally gets here I may well join you on doing shorter trips but for now we have to make a mile and get to where we are going ya know....But to be honest, I do fairly well driving long distances. I have driven the 14 hours to my son's house in Carlsbad more than once straight thru. I have also been on some really long motorcycle rides.....When I get a few more years on me though I can see where that might change.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #31
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
CaptJohn,
When retirement finally gets here I may well join you on doing shorter trips but for now we have to make a mile and get to where we are going ya know....But to be honest, I do fairly well driving long distances. I have driven the 14 hours to my son's house in Carlsbad more than once straight thru. I have also been on some really long motorcycle rides.....When I get a few more years on me though I can see where that might change.
I have driven long miles and hours in the past. Have been retired nearly 15 years. When I turned 69 pulling 14,500# and 43' long I decided to leave a day early and limit to about 450 miles. Without pulling the 5er the 760 to my brother is easy. Last trip up I drove up on Monday and home on Wednesday. Was not in a rush but it was easy. Last year home from Florida was straight through at 810 miles and not fun. Just mark it up to being old and lazy.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #32
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
CaptJohn, That "retired" says it all for me. Anyone who WORKED all their life has my respect and deserves to "take it easy" for a change!
Old 11-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #33
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
5th Airborne works fine for us. But as an ex Airborne GI, maybe I'm prejudice.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:34 AM   #34
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
5th Airborne works fine for us. But as an ex Airborne GI, maybe I'm prejudice.
And given MY handle, the brand name certainly wasn't a deterrent!

Respect to you TL!

Old 11-28-2017, 10:48 AM   #35
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
I switched from the MorRyde to the TrailAir pin box after our unit had the frame and sidewall damage under the bedroom slide. And no, I don't think that the pin box had a thing to do with it, but after making the switch, I knew we had made the right choice within the first couple of miles. My F350 dually also has airbags and the two together have made the ride much better. As far as airbags go, the new internal jounce AirLifts would be nice, but I've owned both the regular AirLifts and Firestones. No difference that I could tell. One thing I do like is having onboard air and being able to control the pressure in the bags while going down the road. This, in conjunction with the TrailAir, make towing these beasts a lot more fun when you aren't being pushed around in the truck.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:17 AM   #36
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
One thing I do like is having onboard air and being able to control the pressure in the bags while going down the road. This, in conjunction with the TrailAir, make towing these beasts a lot more fun when you aren't being pushed around in the truck.
As a towing newbie, what specific problem would you be hoping to solve with on the fly pressure control? Would you be wanting to add more air? Or bleed air off?

Old 11-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #37
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Head light AIM at night. The new headlights can be extremely bright so I prefer not to hinder other drivers.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #38
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
I've also installed air bags in the 3500 so I have another way to get the back end up to lower the beam of the lights.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:44 AM   #39
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawPilot View Post
As a towing newbie, what specific problem would you be hoping to solve with on the fly pressure control? Would you be wanting to add more air? Or bleed air off?
Yes. As the conditions of the roadways change, you can add or subtract air from the bags to smooth out the ride or let air out in windy conditions. Some never change their pressures but I've had improvements and it's well worth the money to me.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #40
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
The more I read the more I'm leaning toward a MorRide being installed at the next rally.