Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
susseandchris

M.O.C. #13343
howdy, and please help!

Hi, Everyone, Susan and Chris here from Ontario, Canada. We were members previously while shopping for our first fifth wheel... and we're STILL shopping! When Keystone introduced the Alpine, we thought it was just perfect for us. But, having heard some disturbing discussions about Alpine not looking after their customers all that well, we are thinking about going back to Montana for our search. Purchase will be within the next ten months-- sooner if possible.
Question: I am looking at the new 3850FL. Can anyone comment on whether it's better than the 3750? Are there reliability issues with new Montana models?
I know there are lots of kind and helpful people in this club. We look forward to hearing from some of you, to give us guidance on our future purchase!

susseandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
The kitchen in the 3850 is rearranged, living room has 2 straight couches, no "L" couch. Not much difference.both are great units, just a matter of choice. From a dealers point of view, they are trouble free.
HOOK
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You have to remember that people seldom post how happy they are with their rig, but all of us post if we have a problem. Montana is the most popular 5th wheel out there over the last 10 or more years. Most of us are quite happy with our purchase and if we wanted to or had to would purchase another Montana. The reason I worded my response the way I did is because some of us have added things to our Montana that Keystone and many to most other makers don't offer. So to buy a new one would be to take a step backward, but we love our Monty and would buy another.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
susseandchris

M.O.C. #13343
Guys, I am subscribed also to the open road forum on rv.net and many of the posters seem to be badmouthing the Montana. I have found two people there who love their Montana, yet others are sorry they purchased one. We would love to hear from more of you on why it is a good idea to buy a Montana. We are totally sold on the floorplans and the amenities Keystone offers, but this is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase and we don't want to make a mistake! Our heart so far is still with the Montana...tell us why we are right!
susseandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
To try a put into words why the vast majority of Montana owners are satisified with the product would be very time consuming. I look at it this way. In my humble opinion "RV owners are like troops in the military, if they ain't bitchin about something, they ain't happy."
Mike
30 years bitchin and hearing it.
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Susan,
We are on our second Montana and have been extremely pleased with both units. We did learn some things along the way such as absolutely no Chinese tires! We have a 3750 which is the older sister to the 3850. Our rig is in it's third year of use and we have had about two issues to date with this rig. Our criteria were different on the second rig and mainly revolved around a stand-alone bathroom and room for a stackable washer and dryer. The 3750 was the first rig that met both of those criteria and it has exceeded our expectations. Your choice of a floor plan is a personal one as was ours, and we are not in the least bit sorry for our choice of a second Montana. We did have the dealer upgrade the tires, and added many options of our choosing. Simply put, others can belittle Montana, but as far as we are concerned, both of our rigs have met and exceeded our expectations. I will say that we prefer the 3750 over the 3850 because we travel as a family of four and that remodeled kitchen with the smaller table would not serve our needs. Again, this is where personal preference comes in.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Sometimes I think if you give people a platform to bitch they will look for something to bitch about.

In our case we are on our third Montana and would still buy another down the road if it was the right floor plan. Guess we must be really dumb consumers!!!

Have we had issues to deal with, of course we have, but certainly no worse than any other brand according to all the brand bitching going on on many other forums. It's just like campground reviews. Some of the campgrounds we have been in and would rate a 9 or 10, when one reads the reviews you come across a certain number of people that rate the same campground at a 4 or 5 with a wide array of complaints. Are some people ever really happy?
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
You should buy what you like. All trailers have their good and bad points and don't let anyone kid you. Montana does make a quality product. We have had ours since 2005 and have had a few minimal problems. Although we do not full-time,I would not be afraid to. I believe you will not be disappointed in a new Montana,but it is your choice.
p.s. welcome to the club
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
We liked our previous Monty and decided to upgrade. The 3850 on the Keystone/Montana site looked good and we went to RV show to see it as we liked the 3750 except for access to bedroom through bath which the 3850 rearranges/solves. We also found the 3725 floor plan to be a good choice, so both were at the top of our wants. We had a list of things we wanted including access to fridge and bath with slides closed like at rest stops. Before the show we spent time comparing the floor plans and having been in many of the actual units we would say things like "oh, that is like Ed and Sandie's rig". We spent significant time setting and walking in both 3850 and 3725 along with other floor plans that did not make the top 2. It is just a personal choice that only you can make. Have fun and enjoy the journey.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
We love our 3485SA 07 Monty, I would buy another one. It's holding up well almost six years now.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Ok, we could be one couple badmouthing Keystone but instead we are very happy with them. In order to deliver the comfort, roominess and quality we received for the price we paid for it Keystone makes 15 Montana's a day. Can there be some errors, sure. What matters is how they handle it. Keystone bent over backwards to make our unit perfect. We had two major issues. One they fixed at their customer service center. The other was discovered in Deming, NM. An area where there is no authorized dealer. Keystone authorized the repair by a private RV repair shop and sent me a check the day they received the bill. We more than got our money's worth and got it from a company that stands behind their product.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:12 AM   #12
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
In it`s price range it is one of the better trailers out there. Yes, there are things that Keystone did that leaves one scratching their head and sometimes quality control is not what it should be, but once you work thru these issues then you have a solid rig. Hang out on this forum and you will see the changes folks have made to make it better. Some are things you would have to do to most trailers like get rid of those Marathon tires. To get a trailer that is any better built with out issues (if there is such a thing lol) then you are gonna spend double of what you spent on a Montana.....We have made changes to our rig and are very happy with it.....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote