Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2019, 08:27 AM   #1
Fast968

M.O.C. #24297
Basement lights - motion activated?

Basement lights - motion activated?
My husband and I purchased our first RV in April (2019 Keystone Montana High Country 5th wheel, HM381TH) and successfully survived our first test outing at a local campground.

The RV sat in storage for about 4-5 weeks before we used it the first time and the batteries were dead (I switched off the battery power but now have it on a trickle charger to be safe). Thought we checked that all the lights were off in the living areas. I did notice some of the basement lights are on when we open the storage doors. Anyone know if they are motion activated or do we need to manually turn them off - this could be our battery drainage issue. They have on/off switches - one side of the switch has one dot, center is off, other side has two dots but I don't notice the lights getting brighter so wondering if one dot is manual and the other dot is motion activated?

Thanks!

Clark & Linda, Murrells Inlet, SC

Fast968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:30 AM   #2
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Hi Linda, we have the 2017 and the lights are motion activated. Your battery drainage most likely came form shutting off the power in the convenience center which doesn't shut off all the power. Many put in a disconnect switch at the battery and leave the one in the convenience center alone. We just disconnect the batteries and bring them home and keep them on trickle charge as needed.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Hello from a fellow HC381TH owner (2018).

Yes the lights in basement are motion activiated. Center is off one way is on full time and other way is motion activated (but I don't recall which is which).

You have a converter on the coach that will charge the batteries IF you can get power to it. The converter is silver shoe box sized behind the fuse panel. If you have to access it (ours went out in just a month-replaced with better brand) it is easiest to access by removing the rear wall of the front pass thru storage on the passenger side. Make note that removing the other half of that same wall on the drivers side will expose a lot of your plumbing and the water pump! Easy to remove those carpeted walls only 4 screws.

Back on subject though. Be sure you turn off your Inverter which powers your Refrigerator. It is the white device on the ceiling of the front pass thru on the drivers side. Understand a CONVERTER changes 110 to 12volt to charge batteries and operate 12volt system when your coach is plugged in. The INVERTER changes 12 volt to 110ac to power your Fridge and it alone when your not plugged in. The inverter uses a lot of juice and will run the batteries down really quick.

Best wishes with the new RV. Oh and check out the 380/381 Facebook page too.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
sure wish the PDI gave new owners more details, but the again if the PDI was worth a hoot it would be info over load. Need a list of You Tubes for reference.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Long answer short--Install battery disconnect switch at the battery.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
Fast968

M.O.C. #24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Hello from a fellow HC381TH owner (2018).

Yes the lights in basement are motion activiated. Center is off one way is on full time and other way is motion activated (but I don't recall which is which).

You have a converter on the coach that will charge the batteries IF you can get power to it. The converter is silver shoe box sized behind the fuse panel. If you have to access it (ours went out in just a month-replaced with better brand) it is easiest to access by removing the rear wall of the front pass thru storage on the passenger side. Make note that removing the other half of that same wall on the drivers side will expose a lot of your plumbing and the water pump! Easy to remove those carpeted walls only 4 screws.

Back on subject though. Be sure you turn off your Inverter which powers your Refrigerator. It is the white device on the ceiling of the front pass thru on the drivers side. Understand a CONVERTER changes 110 to 12volt to charge batteries and operate 12volt system when your coach is plugged in. The INVERTER changes 12 volt to 110ac to power your Fridge and it alone when your not plugged in. The inverter uses a lot of juice and will run the batteries down really quick.

Best wishes with the new RV. Oh and check out the 380/381 Facebook page too.

Good to know - will check out the FB page too.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:14 AM   #7
Fast968

M.O.C. #24297
I see the Montana 5th wheel FB page - if there's a separate 380/381 page, let me know. Didn't see anything when I searched for it.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:36 PM   #8
webbhead64
Established Member

M.O.C. #27075
Does anyone happen to know which position "I" vs "II" turns the basement lights on "motion" vs "always" on? I'll be darned if I can figure it out, short of trying and waiting for it to turn off (which seems to never happen when I am standing there watching the light.
webbhead64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #9
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
II is motion.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote