Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2004, 03:02 AM   #1
Montana_1018

M.O.C. #1018
Black tank smell

We recently traded our Cougar for a 2004 328RLS Mountaineer. We notice, after only 2 or 3 days, a strong odor from the black tank while flushing. I have tried different chemicals and tank flushing. We keep the black tank closed and the grey tanks open while on site for an extended stay. Could there be a problem with the tank vent? For instance, vent pipe extends too far into the tank or vent cap is clogged.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2004 Silverado SB EC D/A
2004 Mountaineer 328

Montana_1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:54 PM   #2
Montana_251
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #251
Wrangler How did you install your
RV 360? Mine didnt come with instructions and their online instructions are vague at best.
Montana_251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:31 AM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I had an odor also but mine was almost constantly there. It ended up being a wasp nest way down the pipe. I pulled the cover and didn't see it but a snake found it and my problem is solved. Flushing odor sounds like the low pressure idea. Try flushing with all fans and a/c off and see if it is better.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:32 PM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I had a black tank odor and found that I was not using enough chemicle in the tank.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:49 PM   #5
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
After dumping our black tank and flushing it a time or two, we add some liquid bleach and liquid laundry soap (cheap stuff) in the tank with about 6-10 gallons of water. We let it slosh all the way home. We then just drain that into our house sewer line which we've tapped into. We do let the gate stay open for a couple of hours so it will "air out". Been doing this in trailers for 12 years and no sewer smells lingering yet. It works for me.
Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by babymakes3

After dumping our black tank and flushing it a time or two, we add some liquid bleach and liquid
laundry soap (cheap stuff) in the tank with about 6-10 gallons of water. We let it slosh all the way
===================================
==================================

Sounds like a winner. Just for everybody's benefit or as a reminder:
I read somewhere that you don't want to put bleach (clorox, hilex etc) in the tank and add or have have the blue or green stuff in there at the same time. Either it generates clouds of gas or explodes I forget which. Either one could be undesireable and or possibly deadly.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 06:17 AM   #7
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
WOW, definately a undesirable result. True or not it sounds like its possible. bleach is something to be careful with. To further detail our procedure; we have a clear elbow we can put on the drain. After letting it drain we use a garden hose to add water through the commode. We let that run while draining the grey. Then close the gray's and drain the black again. We go through that a couple of times and feel real confident that the black is draining clear. then we add the bleach and soap. Our camping buddies try to beat us to the dump site because we take a little longer. It's a pain but nothing will take the fun out of camping like a lingering black tank smell.
Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote