Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Honeyman State park, Oregon

We are heading down the Oregon coast on May 11th and would like any input. The online reviews for Honeyman SP sound good and it was recommended by one of the newest MOC members.
Thanks.
We would like to make it to the gathering the end of May but must be back home for duties on the 24th.
You all have a great time.

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
I haven't been there in years but it use to be a great park.
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
grampachet,
From what I understand it is a really nice park (so many of the Oregon State parks are). We've never stayed there but some folks who can give you some details would be Ray and Pam and or Carl and Sue. I believe they have visited this park.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
It's a great place to go. I've been there many times. Lived in the area as a child for a year. We have a Thousand Trails campground in Florence also. There is much to see and do in the area. If you go into Florence go down to the waterfront old town and if you like clam chowder go to Mo's. You might want to make reservations for the park but if you don't it's large enough you shouldn't have a problem.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
The Oregon coast is beautiful. We always love going there. Florence is our favorite.... my father was chief of police there back in the late 40s/early 50s and I have been camping at Honeyman since I was an infant.

If you spend anytime in Florence, be sure to find the "BJ's Ice Cream" across from "Mo's" seafood restaurant in "Old Town". They have ice cream to-die-for. My favorite is the "Oregon Trail"... chocolate ice cream with hazelnuts and ribbons of blackberry thru it.

"Old Town Florence" is next to the Siuslaw River and has lots of great shops to stroll thru. Lunch or dinner at Mo's Restaurant is good with fresh seafood dishes... and chicken strips for those who don't like seafood.

Ther's a cafe called "Morgan's" and it is located between Honeyman State Park and the bridge. Good country style cooking.

For some thrills.... go on a sand dune buggy ride. It's best to pay and let them take you on a ride and they will take you up one side of 500 foot dunes and down the other side while having you airborne at the top! They also will take you out to the ocean and drive fast along the edge of the ocean while water sprays from the rear wheels..... just like you see in the movies.
We've rented the 4 wheelers you drive yourself, but the ride is not as good.... we've always gotten stuck in the sand with them and have always seen others stuck. There are a couple of locations for sand dune rides..... the best being the one about one or two miles south of Honeyman Park.

There's also an extremely large FredMyers there on the north end of town. If you haven't been in a FredMyers... you gotta stop and check one out. This one is a "super" one with a grocery store in it also.

The Sea Lion caves are kinda fun to go see. but once you see them... you'll not want to go back as they S T I N K. They are located about 9 miles north of Florence and offer a spectacular view of the Heceta Head Lighthouse and gatekeeper's cottage.

Heceta Head lighthouse (north of Florence about 11 miles) is a nice tour. Not open every day... you have to call and find out. But you park down at a beach and take an easy upward hike to the gatekeepers cottage and lighthouse.

The aquarium at Newport is nice. Easy day trip from Florence. I think it's even a bit better than the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California.

Don't know how far inland you might get... but Crater Lake is beautiful. Nothing else up there but that and it might not be a draw enough. If it is, I'd find a place in Roseberg to leave the Montana and go up to the lake as a day trip... but get to the top early as it gets very crowded by noon or so. They do have a large cafeteria at the top.

Just outside Roseberg in Winston is the "Wild Animal Park" that you drive thru in your own vehicle. Last time we did that, a couple of bears took a liking to our vehicle and one climbed on top and the other tried to eat our front bumper!

Have fun on your trip.... the Oregon coast is beautiful and you'll find lots of fun things to do.

The few following parks are all in the southern to middle coast area. I've added links to each, some allow reservations, some are first come, first served. Call ahead to find out the length restrictions before you turn into any campground.

Most of the Oregon coast is a major "destination" area so if traveling without reservations, you'll need to start looking for a camp by noon or know where the Walmarts are!

Bandon, Oregon
Bullards Beach State Park / 2 miles north of Bandon
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_71.php
Nice clean park, good sites with trees. Good for families. Coquille River Lighthouse is nearby. With flush toilets and showers.

Port Orford, Oregon
Cape Blanco State Park / 9 miles north of Port Orford
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_62.php
Secluded camp about 5 miles off the highway, about a 3 minute walk to the ocean, tall trees and bushes around most sites for maximum privacy. Very peaceful & quiet. Cape Blanco Lighthouse is nearby. Clean with flush toilets and showers.

Florence, Oregon
Jesse M. Honeyman State Park / 3 miles south of Florence
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_134.php
Our favorite. Absolutely beautiful... but lots of families with kids if that bothers you. Has an area of sand dunes that reach 500 feet high, Cleaxwox lake is inside the park with paddle boat rentals, swimming beach, bike riding trails. Use this campgound as your 'base'... so much to do and see in each direction: "Old Town Florence", Sand dune buggy rides, Sea Lion Caves, Newport Aquarium, Heceta Head Lighthouse tours and much more.

Waldport, Oregon
Beachside State Park / 4 miles south of Waldport
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_122.php
Right on the beach, not too much privacy, very popular. Flush toilets and showers. I'm adding in here that I don't think this park can handle a large RV....I'd be very cautious about this park.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:26 AM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Folks thanks for the information on the Oregon coast. Like Granpachet, were planning a trip down the coast in August after a cruise to Alaska. Were staying at Whalers Rest, a thousand trails reserve and sightseeing with our car.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Thanks for all the wonderful advice. We do have reservations at Honeyman SP site 360F May 11-14. We were in this are years ago with the kids and went for the dune buggy ride and we have never forgotten it, great time. We will spent time in Medford with relatives and will visit with "Lone Ranger" while we are there too. There is very nice Patriotic concert at our church there in Medford(totally free and never ever any collection plates or asking for any money at all.) Sunday morning we will run up to Grants Pass for Sunday morning meeting as I have been asked to preach. This is a working holiday for me. We were down this way last year too and really enjoyed the visit.
If we could stay longer we would meet you at the MOC camp-out.
Thanks again for the info. This is a great site to belong to.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I thank all of you, too, because I think we're going to go up the Oregon coast after the 7 Feathers rally. All of the info on this thread is really nice!
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote