Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Fireplace glass removal

Hi all,
I want to remove the glass from the fireplace. I believe I read here on the forum that you can remove those little "plugs" over the screws with a large sewing needle. (tap the needle in and pull out the plug ) I tried that today, but all it did was push them in further...??? Any suggestions? The glass is dirty on the inside. Along with grimy fingerprints from install at the factory I believe.
Thanks, Chris

Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Must be a different FP than mine. I simply had to pull out FP and remove right side of frame and the glass slid out. Instructions were in FP manual in the "Change Lights" section. I checked all electrical connections at same time and vacuumed the dust bunnies from behind and underneath.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You may have to use a screw to pull out the plug. I just left mine out but you can get replacements from the hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot, Etc.) Once the four plugs are out us the square head bit to remove those screws. Then remove the screw at the top holding the glass in (not shown in photos) and you can pull the glass out.
Here is a link with some pictures showing most of it.
While you have the fireplace that close to removal, I recommend pulling it out. UNPLUGGING it, remove the top and check the electrical connections for solid connections. A pull test on the black wires would be a good test.
Good luck,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I was wondering about those plugs this evening when I wanted to clean the inside of my glass. I am going to try some needle nose pliers in the morning with a paper towel to keep from damaging them. If I end up having to I will dig them out nad buy new ones. that glass sure does get dirty on the inside.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:22 AM   #5
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
You can use a small thin screwdriver, knife or even a needle placed at the edge of the wooded plug. I think I used a thin knife when I took mine out. You can purchase new plugs at Lowe's or Home Depot
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:52 AM   #6
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

You may have to use a screw to pull out the plug. I just left mine out but you can get replacements from the hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot, Etc.) Once the four plugs are out us the square head bit to remove those screws. Then remove the screw at the top holding the glass in (not shown in photos) and you can pull the glass out.
Here is a link with some pictures showing most of it.
While you have the fireplace that close to removal, I recommend pulling it out. UNPLUGGING it, remove the top and check the electrical connections for solid connections. A pull test on the black wires would be a good test.
Good luck,
Hi thanks all, I did end up using a small screw and using pliers to pull them out, worked well. I am thinking about possibly finding some decorative hardware to put in the holes. Maybe and eagle or ??? Going to snoop around at Lowes today. Thanks for all the replies and sorry I didn't reply earlier, my computer had a spyware problem. DO NOT have anything to do with anything titled ANTIVIRUS 2009. Nasty! My computer guy said he has removed a lot of it.
Chris
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote