Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Winterizing Problem?

Started to pump RV antifreeze through the Monty yesterday. I had the bypass valve closed on the hot water tank and the valve by the pump open to suck in the antifreeze.

When I was done I noticed a small amount of the pink stuff (antifreeze) leaking out of the hot water tank? I had the anode rod out like I normally do at this time of the year.

Has anybody ever seen this before? We used the Monty all summer and never had any water problems at all. What do you think?

thanks!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:19 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I just did mine last weekend and noticed the same thing. I had anode rod out and noticed pink in the outside tray and on the ground, however, it still took the same amount of antifreeze as I usually use.

I suspect my check valve on the tank is going bad, as I noticed it whistling when using hot water the last time out. I even bought a couple of spares but haven't put one in yet. The bypass valve is on the cold water feed side, and the check valve is on the hot water out side. If the check valve fails, antifreeze comes in that way.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

I just did mine last weekend and noticed the same thing. I had anode rod out and noticed pink in the outside tray and on the ground, however, it still took the same amount of antifreeze as I usually use.

I suspect my check valve on the tank is going bad, as I noticed it whistling when using hot water the last time out. I even bought a couple of spares but haven't put one in yet. The bypass valve is on the cold water feed side, and the check valve is on the hot water out side. If the check valve fails, antifreeze comes in that way.

Thanks for the post on the check valve whistling. Our hot water heater has been making more noise than usual and this may be the problem.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Yep, I bet your right, last season I heard the whisle when using hot water, I thought it was my imagination. The only way I thought the pink stuff could get into the tank was from the top because the bypass would stop it from entering. Well that is on my to do list in the Spring.

Next year the wife and I may not need the "pink stuff", we maybe able to winterize by going South! Should be retirement time for us!
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote