Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
Pinesol Use

The pamphlet that came with the Sea Land toilet in our new Montana says not to use Pinesol because it harms the seals. What experience have you had using Pinesol? Is it a problem, or do they just want us to buy special products?

John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:18 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Pine-sol contains Sodium Petroleum Sulfonate and it is stated that when used on rubber or asphalt to rinse. I think the key word is "petroleum," which we all know is not good on rubber. Pine-Sol main ingredient is pine oil. Pine-sol has come out with other "smelling" brands of their product but anything other than the original Pine-Sol does not have the same disinfecting or cleaning power.

Because of the information on rinsing off of rubber or asphalt, I personally would not use it on rubber.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:20 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
My father used to use Pine-Sol in the toilet, and I thought it was nasty. Smelling. Others here at MOC do not find that so. Must be the smell buds react differently.

We use very little chemicals of any kind. Mostly we use, MORE WATER, LESS PAPER.

Chemicals are helpful during really hot weather, if you are boondocking or at a campground with no sewer hookups. During our winter escapes to the Rio Grande Valley, 3 plus months on one campsite we use Water.

When we run we use the Cascade cleaning trick.

Personal preference comes to play here, read some of the old posts, and read the archives, lots of good info out there waiting to be re-discovered.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:40 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Once again Dawn dishwashing liquid comes into play. We feel if Dawn is good enough to wash our dishes, that we eat off of, it should also be good for other cleaning purposes and the toilet bowl is no exception.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:33 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Chemically pine oil is similar to citrus oil. We have been told by Dicor not to use citrus based cleaners on the rubber roof. I think it would be reasonable to think pine oil would also be equally damaging to rubber items.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Have you tried sticking a Pine Tree in the tank? ggg
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Interesting post - I had no idea SeaLand included that warning in the directions. We are "guilty" of pine-sol use. Guess we better find an alternative.

Windex? Works for everything else according to "My Greek Wedding".
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Interesting. We were told by the Keystone Service Center to USE pinesol in the black tank. Just pour some down the toilet after each dump. We use the walmart equivalent, about a buck for a 32 ounce bottle.

I wonder if Sea Land is referring to the seals in the toilet itself? I pour the pine sol equivalent down the toilet but it never touches the toilet seals. Just the seals at the black tank exit.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote