Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
EGT and turbo psi--what range to keep within?

I just added the Banks EGT gauge (the probe is pre-turbo) to my 2007 F350, which has an OEM turbo gauge, and I'd like to get some advice on just what are the ranges in which I should operate in pulling my Big Sky.

With regard to the upper limits on turbo pressure, my OEM gauge goes from 0-40 psi, with the red zone starting around 38 psi. I saw in earlier threads where people indicated that they try not to go above 22 psi. When I have the truck in cruise control, the turbo pressure routinely kicks up to 28 psi whenever the cruise control has to kick in to keep the speed up, like on a steady upward climb. Is that bad for the engine? What problems will I experience if the turbo goes as high as 28 psi when I am climbing hills? I notice that even when the turbo kicks up to 28 psi, the EGT temp stays in the 1050-1100 range. Am I OK with a turbo pressure up at 28 psi as long as the EGT stays below 1200?

I also saw in earlier threads where some prople said that they let their engines idle (before shutting down) until the EGT drops to around 300, while others shut down when the temp drops below 500. My gauge often reads 300 at idle, and even when I do easy driving around town without the rig attached, it can take several minutes before the temp drops to 300. As for when I'm hauling my Big Sky, I have let the engine idle for 4-8 minutes and still not gotten the temp to drop down to 300. For those who say we should wait until the temp drops to 300, are your probes pre-turbo or post-turbo? If pre-turbo, do you have to wait several minutes to cool down to 300 even when you are just driving around town without your rigs? What problem am I likely to experience if I shut down after the temp has dropped below 500 rather than waiting for it to finally drop down to 300?

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am glad that you asked those questions because we also need the answers..However..In the process of purchasing our 08 F-350 we were advised by three different folks at the dealership NOT to add ANY after market equipment to the truck. They say Ford has been cracking down and they have had several bad experiences with warranty denials because of after market additions. I got the message...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
David, On my 99, 7.3, turbo will go as high as 28, the EGT is what I think is the most important, I would keep it below 1250, and not at long periods at that, mine will stay in the 950 to 1050 towing a 8% grade, and the turbo usually at 12 to 15. But I do have 4" exhaust turbo back,which helps on the heat, and I run Jodys DP tuner with 2 towing modes.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
When I am pulling I let the turbo cool to about 250F. My probe is located post turbo and think this may be what you have read. It takes 5-8 minutes to get it into this range. The 500F reading may be more reasonable for a pre-turbo temp. Someone with a similar setup should be able to confirm this.

The danger of not properly cooling the turbo is formation of carbon inside the bearings from the oil overheating and burning. A buildup of of carbon inside the bearings will lead to a catastrophic end to the turbo.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
If you keep your temps below 1250 all will be good. Sustained temps above 1250 can cause problems. I wouldn't worry about the boost pressure. It is the boost pressure that keeps the air flowing into the engine so the temps will not climb. On my Dodge I have installed a boost fooler so the waste gate will stay closed longer to achieve higher pressures and help keep my temps in check.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
David,

Granted I have the Duramax, but I run 650-850 degrees on level flat ground and 900-1150 pulling the grades. I shut down when the temps get under 400 degrees which after pulling a long grade can take roughly 2-5 minutes. On typical flat interstates by the time I let off the throttle and cost down an off ramp, my EGT temps are typically under 500 degrees.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Low RPM and high boost are bad!! (aviation experience talking) - a lot of heat being built up because you are pumping a lot of fuel into the cylinders and it is not going out -- when you see this condition it is normally advisable to shift to a lower gear to increase RPMs up. You should see an immediate drop in EGT temperatures. Now that said - unless you are running a mod to keep the wastegate (if your's has such -- it may all be computer controlled now??) closed longer, you should not exceed 30 PSI. I've seen some Fords mod'ed to go up as high as 40 PSI but I (and their owners) didn't expect them to run long at that pressure.

Just did a trip from Manhattan KS to Auburn AL and my Dodge 3500 DRW (5.9L 06) would drop out of OD into 3rd at about 28 PSI and 1200 degrees EGT. It would then hold at 2400 RPM, 25PSI and 950 to 1000 EGT until we crested the hill and then upshift again. Did notice after I dropped the trailer that it ran fast -- I actually broke rear tires loose on normal pavement which has never happened on this or my 04 5.9L. Seems that it liked that hard work .

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:56 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
David,
First, let me say you'll be happy with the Banks system. I've had the Banks Power Pack on my '95 since January 2002 and have been exceedingly pleased with the performance.

I just talked to Banks the other day discussing where the Exhaust Temp should be. The engineer there (Tom Boardman) said 1000° is okay but DON'T let it exceed 1100°. When mine approaches 1050°, I back off the accelerator. You'll notice that if you down shift on a hard pull that this will also cause the temperature to decrease. So I'm always aware of the hard pulls because this is when the temperature rises and I drive carefully. As for the turbo pressure, I've never noticed any radical problem with it. When I tromp the accelerator the pressure will immediately go up but the minute I back off, the pressure decreases. I don't get worried about it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:28 AM   #9
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
I try to operate my 05- powerstroke below 30 boost & 1300 EGT, on some long hard pulls EGT will climb steadly...so with the gages I know when to back off a bit.
RLVoumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:00 AM   #10
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
EGT 1250 max. Over 1300 you could be causing major problems.
Boost keep under 30.
Shutdown 4-500 range is OK.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:32 AM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

I just added the Banks EGT gauge (the probe is pre-turbo) to my 2007 F350, which has an OEM turbo gauge, and I'd like to get some advice on just what are the ranges in which I should operate in pulling my Big Sky.

With regard to the upper limits on turbo pressure, my OEM gauge goes from 0-40 psi, with the red zone starting around 38 psi. If you have not changed your WASTE Gate you are reading stock pressures. The boost is like the old vacuum gage on the carburetor. The higher the number the more air and "assume fuel" going into the engine. More power less efficiency. I use mine mostly for a trouble shooting tool. Low pressure means a leak in the boost system. I saw in earlier threads where people indicated that they try not to go above 22 psi. When I have the truck in cruise control, the turbo pressure routinely kicks up to 28 psi whenever the cruise control has to kick in to keep the speed up, like on a steady upward climb. The higher your RPM and demand for horsepower the more the boost. Remember you exhaust spins the turbine so more rpm means more exhaust. Is that bad for the engine? What problems will I experience if the turbo goes as high as 28 psi when I am climbing hills? I notice that even when the turbo kicks up to 28 psi, the EGT temp stays in the 1050-1100 range. Am I OK with a turbo pressure up at 28 psi as long as the EGT stays below 1200? As stated keeping the EGT below 1300 is recommended.

I also saw in earlier threads where some prople said that they let their engines idle (before shutting down) until the EGT drops to around 300, while others shut down when the temp drops below 500. My gauge often reads 300 at idle, and even when I do easy driving around town without the rig attached, it can take several minutes before the temp drops to 300. As for when I'm hauling my Big Sky, I have let the engine idle for 4-8 minutes and still not gotten the temp to drop down to 300. For those who say we should wait until the temp drops to 300, are your probes pre-turbo or post-turbo? If pre-turbo, do you have to wait several minutes to cool down to 300 even when you are just driving around town without your rigs? What problem am I likely to experience if I shut down after the temp has dropped below 500 rather than waiting for it to finally drop down to 300? The reason to let the EGT cool down is to keep from cooking the oil that lubricates the bearings in the turbo. Obviously once the engine is off oil is not circulating through the enging and the turbo. I use my check in time and disconnect time to allow the enging to cool down to at least 400 better yet 300. At a restaurant I let my wife get our table while I let the turbo cool down.
There have been good answers I hope my comment help also.
cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am learning much from this thread. I asked my dealer service guy why Ford did not monitor EGT...he did not know.. I E mailed Ford customer service and asked the same question and what was the rational for NOt monitoring the EGT.I got a reply but it did not answer the question. We will go up the line with the same question till someone will answer it. All I get is..do not add anything or it will void the warranty..
Old 09-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #13
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I can not believe Ford would deny a warranty if you add a egt guage to the motor. I would put it in the exhaust pipe that way you don't have the chance of getting shavings in the engine which could void the warranty. You have to use the limits differently if you go post turbo.When I worked on the big trucks the pyro was always in the exhaust pipe.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Things NOT covered by the Ford Warranty.. many things and the very last sentence......."And performance enhancing power train components or software enhancing chips" Page 13 of the Warranty guide.It would appear that a EGT monitor would not fall within any of the mentioned items..I agree with ronstan. And I want Ford to clarify their blanket..void the warranty" statement. I have a mission...
Old 09-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
David, we had two Ford 6.0's. I used 1300 as the upper limit on the EGT with the probe pre-turbo. Normally I'd shoot for 1200 as the top but would let it go closer to 1300 for no more than a minute or so. The only time it went that high was on grades of maybe 10% and more. I found backing off the throttle just a tad, a couple of mph, would bring EGT down quite a bit.

On boost, mine did the same. It would go to 28 when on cruise and holding speed on a grade. I'd usually kick it off cruise and drop mph just a couple to bring boost down to 22. I have heard 28 won't hurt anything but it was just my comfort level to keep it at 22.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:54 PM   #16
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Boost up to around 30# dosen't hurt anything. With a stock turbo you will probably be pumping hot air into the engine with a resulting loss of power and increased temps. After around 30# of boost the stock turbo has probably passed it's range of efficiency.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #17
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Rich your truck most likely will start to defuel when the temps get to high. The computer will do that automatically. When they see added gauges on a truck it is an indication of performance enhancing parts being added to the truck. Added gauges is like a red flag to a dealership.

In the past some people have added fueling boxes which override the trucks computer and have damaged transmissions, turbo's, and even the engine. They then remove (unplug) the boxes and take the truck to the dealer expecting warranty help.

You have a 5yr or 100,000 mile warranty on your truck. I wouldn't do anything to put that in jeopardy.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:07 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Words of wisdom clutch..thanks..I had been told that by a Ford Diesel tech at the bus garage. I am still curious as to Fords rational on that..We are not adding anything right now and IF we ever do it will only be the EGT monitor..
Old 09-08-2007, 05:42 AM   #19
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
One thing you have to keep in mind is it installed pre-turbo or post-turbo. It's hotter in the pre-turbo position. That's why many will say not to exceed 1100° for very long.

This is directly from the Banks website at http://bankspower.com/Tech_whyegt.cfm

So the big question is, what constitutes excessive EGT? If everything is working properly, 1250º to 1300º F. is a safe turbine inlet temperature, even for sustained running, mile after mile. Above 1300º F. things can start to get edgy. Remember, excessive EGT damage is cumulative. Over 1400º F., you’re usually gambling against a stacked deck and it’s only a matter of time until you lose. The higher the EGT, the shorter that time will be.

These temperatures will be a little lower post-turbo so you have to know where you are getting the temperature from, pre or post turbo.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:30 AM   #20
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

One thing you have to keep in mind is it installed pre-turbo or post-turbo. It's hotter in the post-turbo position. That's why many will say not to exceed 1100° for very long.

Orv
I believe you will find the exhaust is hotter when measured PRE-Turbo - 1300 (between the manifold and the turbo) vice post-turbo - 1100 (between the Turbo and Catalytic converter or muffler.) That is my understanding.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote