Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Goodbye Apollo

Well, I said I would give it one chance. Sitting here by the lake with 8 hungry folks and the DW tells me the microwave won't even heat a cup of water. Convection portion is working. This puts us in a bit of a position already. Tried the breaker reset and a few other things, but no worky.

Will replace with the ever reliable Dometic Micro from CW when we get home.

Sorry Lynn, I can't share your enthusiasm for this product, nor will I nurse it along. I have no use for your multitude of replacements or your warranty, as I just need something that works when I need it. Overall, its just plain junk that downgrades what has otherwise been a great and wonderful RV this vacation.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We can understand..We had the door latch replacement, then the ckt board replacement, then the magnetron replacement. The last problem we had sounds like yours, microwave would not heat anything, all else OK..That resulted in a new oven in Jan of 07 and it has worked perfectly since then..Build date of Aug 06.. Have not seen a reported problem with that build date or later.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
OK Guys,

Here's the anwser.... If you don't use it, it won't break (lol).
Only use ours in the microwave mode to heat some veggies from time to time.
BBQ or Gas oven the rest of the time. Both work well.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:10 AM   #4
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Well, I said I would give it one chance. Sitting here by the lake with 8 hungry folks and the DW tells me the microwave won't even heat a cup of water. Convection portion is working. This puts us in a bit of a position already. Tried the breaker reset and a few other things, but no worky.

Will replace with the ever reliable Dometic Micro from CW when we get home.

Sorry Lynn, I can't share your enthusiasm for this product, nor will I nurse it along. I have no use for your multitude of replacements or your warranty, as I just need something that works when I need it. Overall, its just plain junk that downgrades what has otherwise been a great and wonderful RV this vacation.
Sounds like someone got up on the wrong side of the rock!

Only kidding.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
The older APOLLO'S have been a problem for sure and Brad I think the newer ones are much better like Rich has said. I would still give her a shot at it. If she says "To Bad" then out the door. Keep us informed. Sears has a oven called Kenmore Elite that is the same size. I asked her for a replacement price which is not that bad at all. I do not know if she monitors this site.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:23 PM   #6
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Brad, Sure hate when something like this happens..if you are not satisfied with the apollo then I would do the same. Hey have a fun vacation!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Brad,

We love ours and have had great luck, we wouldn't trade it for the world. How was your last one or didn't your old 2955 have one?

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #8
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Door latch broke on ours.....replaced the Apollo with one from Lowe's. Had to alter the plastic base some, but it fits the in the hole perfectly, looks like it is was made for it. Appollo is now sitting in the garage awaiting a decision to repair or dispose.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:09 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The broken door latch repair is a easy fix and Apollo will send the part free of charge.If the Apollo has a build date of prior to Aug 06 it is suspect to further failure.Our replacement, build date of Aug 06 has been working perfectly since Jan 07 and it gets a lot of use.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:27 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rich,

I wouldn't hesitate to get a replacement under warranty if they have improved, but our has a manufacturer date of Aug 06. I am glad they are making it right with the consumer, but I just have such limited time with the family I hate to spend it with something broken if I can avoid it.

MAC - Nice truck BTW. Our 2955 had the good old reliable Dometic micro and I never gave it a second thought.

Charlie - Hazmic - do you remember the model of those available for replacement? Wouldn't mind keeping the convection feature, just don't want to spend $650 to do it.

The rest of Monty performed flawlessly. Even had brakes the whole trip.

Brad

Old 05-29-2007, 11:07 AM   #11
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I replaced the original working Dometic microwave oven with a Sharp convection/microwave I bought from Wal Mart at the clearance aisle for $169.00. It fits and works perfect. I took the upper and lower vent/mounts off the Dometic and installed them on the Sharp. We love it. We rarely use the gas oven anymore.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:16 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Well finally - here is the fix.

Could not find a workable solution to the ventilation for a convection oven. Went for the standard microwave. The trim kit for this Amana comes complete with top and bottom ventilation ducts that go through the trim vents. Sears- whopping $139 + 65 trim kit.

Cute little chime. Required cutting about 1/2" top and sides of cabinet.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #13
Retired Pilot
Established Member

M.O.C. #6630
My build date on a warranty replacement is 12/06, latch no good, both modes pop the 20 amp breaker if the interior of trailer is above about 50 degrees.
Retired Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote