Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2006, 08:16 AM   #1
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
TT vs 5th wheel quality

We are considering purchasing a TT. I see most of you have 5th wheels. Do most of the comments I read carry over to TT regarding quality? Since our trailer will be parked pretty much full time in a rv park close by for weekend use it will not see much highway time. I dont know I could justify the extra cost if there is not a significant increase in quality. We have looked around the St. Louis area and have narrowed our choice down to a Holiday Rambler or Mountaineer. The Mountaineer has a nicer look and more features for less money. The quality seems comparable, maybe the rambler a little better or maybe not. Mountianeer floorplan hands down wins. New to all of this so your forum has been very helpful.

So bottom line do most of the comments I read carry over to TT regarding quality?

Thanks for any input!!

mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:28 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
mtpocket2

Welcome to the forum!

The units are built in the Goshen Indiana area, a Mountaineer TT will come off the same line as a Mountaineer 5er, at least, they used to, believe that to still be true.

Something we suggest to all newcomers, is learn to use the search function here, be sure to open the time frame, search all words, etc etc etc. If you don't change those parameters a bit, searches turn up pretty lame, open them up and bingo, lots o neat stuff shows!

Enjoy your new unit. Good luck

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:40 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
mtpocket2,
I 2nd Carol's Welcome to the MOC!!

Back in 2002 I was in your same boat, had narrowed my selection down to the Holiday Rambler TT or the Mountaineer. I finally chose the 315RLS Mountaineer. After 2 years with that, I stepped up to a 39+ foot Montana 5th wheel. I have been very happy with the Montana product line. In my opinion, the new Mountaineer’s today are built with the quality and materials used in the earlier Montana’s. As things progress and update in the Montana, Keystone seems to bring the Mountaineer right up with them. At the end of the day, the final decision is up to you, but remember; the Keystone Montana is not the number 1 selling RV for the 5th year in a row for nothing.

All RV’s are going to have problems, and some of our members have sure had a fare share of them. Another reason I have chosen to stay in the Montana family is because of Keystone. We have read one more than a few occasions of Keystone stepping up to the plate and fixing problems for owners, even when the coach is out of warranty. Having a builder stand behind their product and go the extra mile is priceless. Enjoy searching through the MOC; there is a great deal of information here. Make sure you ask all the questions you have; we don’t hold the punches back here. You are going to get an honest answer from an "OWNER" w/ first hand experience. Again welcome to the MOC...

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:16 AM   #4
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Wow thanks for the quick responses. I realize there will be things wrong with just about everything these days. It comes down to how the dealer and mfg take care of it. We have looked at quite a few and are amazed at the quality differences even from the same mfg. Thats part of what makes it frustrating when comparing trailers. From what I can gather the Montana line was just 5ers then they added Mountaineer to the name along with the TT line. So there is now one name (Montana Mountaineer) in either TT or 5er.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:23 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I don't think there is any difference in quality between a TT and a Fiver of the same manufacturer. Holiday rambler is a fine camper (had one many years ago) So are the mountaineers we have seen. Our decision to buy the fifth wheel was because it is easier to tow and since some of it is over the truck bed the all over length is shorter for the same size camper. If you are not going to tow much the TT may be the better choice. Our previous Camper was a TT and was only used for weekends and perhaps a week or 10 day vacation each year. We will be traveling much more now that we are both retired hence the fifth wheel.( actually I prefer the TT, everything on one level, no steps, easier to wash (not so high). Keystone is very good in customer service which was a determining factor for us in buying the Keystone brand over other fine brands.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
ooooo, not sure bout that name thing, this is the way I understand it, and believe me, I will get corrected sweetly if I have it wrong.

Montana (had a TT, then went to 5ers and TT, then dropped TT)

Mountaineer (added as less expensive unit/line, TT, then added 5er, now name changed to Montana Mountaineer Edition.)

And, as far as I know, the Montana and the Mountana Mountaineer are still TWO different lines for Keystone.

Go here:

http://www.keystonerv.com/

and really spend some time surfing around, they even have the old models up there so you can compare floor plans and watch them morf to what they are today.

The Montana Mountaineer today is what our Montana's were about 3 or 4 years ago. The quality and quality of the goods used inside have improved a lot over the years.

Have fun,

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:45 AM   #7
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Country Guy
Yep its confusing for sure. We are going to take another look at the Mountaineer tonight. It was pouring rain when we looked last time. Now its only 100 degrees. Love st. Louis summer. NOT!!!!!!!

Richfaa
I agree the 5er seems to be without a doubt the better choice for heavy duty camping. Better turning and backing etc. I have been told by the dealers expect to pay anywhere between $1000 and $3000 for the hitch in the truck. Since its primary use is stationary and like you maybe a week or two vacation every year I think I am headed down the same road you have traveled. You are also correct about customer service. They can make or break the company. Too bad many mfg's dont seem to realize that. Thats probably as important if not more than initial quality. Stuff happens.

We were just very impressed with the looks inside the Mountaineer. That scares me because I am always afraid of purchasing an item because of what I will call FUFU stuff.

Oh well we are going to take another look tonight and see if our impression changes. Thanks again for the responses. Everything helps.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:58 AM   #8
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtpocket2

We are considering purchasing a TT. I see most of you have 5th wheels. Do most of the comments I read carry over to TT regarding quality? Since our trailer will be parked pretty much full time in a rv park close by for weekend use it will not see much highway time. I dont know I could justify the extra cost if there is not a significant increase in quality. We have looked around the St. Louis area and have narrowed our choice down to a Holiday Rambler or Mountaineer. The Mountaineer has a nicer look and more features for less money. The quality seems comparable, maybe the rambler a little better or maybe not. Mountianeer floorplan hands down wins. New to all of this so your forum has been very helpful.

So bottom line do most of the comments I read carry over to TT regarding quality?

Thanks for any input!!
We have a "Montana" Mountaineer 315RLS TT and have been very pleased with it. In 3 years we haven't had to have a repair done. If I was to buy again at this point I'd go with a Montego Bay 5th wheel toy-hauler only because our needs have changed and Keystone's Raptors have been plagued with problems.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The newest Mountaineers I've seen say "Montana", then below that it says "Mountaineer Edition." My understanding from asking a factory rep is as the Montana is upgraded, so is the Mountaineer. He said the 2006 Mountaineer is very comparable to our 2003 Montana. From what I've seen, that is accurate, although I have not checked things like insulation, enclosed belly, etc. I've only been inside and was impressed.

In any case, welcome aboard. You have a difficult choice between two fine brands. As for TT or FW, it seems to make sense that your usage would fit very well with a TT. Or FW.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:13 PM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I can tell you we looked high and low before we bought our Mountaineer TT. We looked at 5'ers as well as TT's across many lines.
It was the floorplan that sold us on our TT, they had almost exactly the same plan in the 5'er, but we liked the TT better.
To this day, after having our TT for a few years, we still have not found a plan we like better. And towing is certainly not an issue for me.

To each their own I guess. Get what makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. Sure, I've fixed a few things, but we still love ours...

327RKS
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:55 PM   #11
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
I'll have to agree with Ozzie. What's going to become real important, will be the floor plan and available storage.

Some folks aren't big fans of having steps inside their Rigs. So that may be a concideration.

We have our own reasons for having the TT, namely needing the bed of the Truck for our Motorcycle.

Had our Mounty TT for 3 years now and aren't about to give it up.

Happy Hunting and Happy Camping

Steve & Nina
03 Mountaineer TT 335RLBS
2000 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab LB V10 2WD Posi. Reese HP Dual Cam
Prodigy-K&N-Mobil 1
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:35 PM   #12
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Each has their advantages. One advantage of a TT is that you have use of your tow vehicle to haul things. Having pulled both, I like pulling a 5th wheel better than a TT but again, it's a personal choice. I did have a topper on my old truck with the TT and put bikes in there, just stuff taken for smaller kids. I also had a conversion van I pulled it with and both were fine. As far as quality goes, if the model line is the same, I would think the quality is the the same.

Virg and Jo
Tioga, ND
06 F-350,4X4, PSD, LB, SRW, Tow command, Lariat
03 Montana 2955RL
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:45 PM   #13
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Went again tonight to take a closer look. We were very impressed. Poked around in all the cabinets opened all the doors etc. I couldnt find anything I would have asked to be fixed. Nothing was hooked up so we couldnt really test anything. Looked much nicer than the rambler. The only two things I didnt care for were the placement of the dump valve handles and the bottom skin. The dump valve handles are hanging out there. Seems a piece of retread or road debris could do some damage easily. The bottom skin was some kind of corrugated plastic. Droppy in places. Can probably be easily tidied up. Seems vunerable. The rambler is aluminum skinned and all the holes in it were filled with foam insulation. Looked alot cleaner. That being said I believe we made the decision to go with the mountaineer. The 29RL to be specific. We are still looking at the 31RLD but I dont know for our use it buys you that much more. What do you think about resale down the road. Does the 31 with the bedroom slide make a big difference. Since we are only talking a few hundread pounds and about 1500 dollars difference am I better off going with the 31?

I like the idea of putting the motorcycle in the PU bed but unfourtunely I let my wife talk me into a shortbed. Thankfully I didnt give in on the 3/4 ton diesel. Dont think the RoadKing will fit back there. OOps sounds like I need a new truck. Hate it when that happens.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:48 PM   #14
Starchmill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2070
Send a message via AIM to Starchmill
I just love my mountaineer TT. I have it on a seasonal site this summer but have traveled from NH to illinois and also to FL with it. It tows effortlessly and has held up well both over the road and with continual use (we lived in it for 9 weeks straight last yr). It actually looks as good today as the day I bought it, and I have had only a few minor issues that were fixed after the PDI. I had been itching for the 3400RL but we had 4 dogs and needed the cap on the pickup so 2 of them could ride back there. That is what steered me to the TT. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Mountaineer. I even used it up in Maine last Thanksgiving when the outdoor temps fell to 17 degrees. I never had any problem with freezing lines. It really is a solid 3 season trailer. Also, as Azstar said, the storage in the TT is amazing. I still have cabinets with little to nothing in them, and I have every conceivable gadgit stored somewhere onboard. Good luck with your decision.

2005 Mountaineer 335RLBS
2004 Chevy 3500 LT CC Dually D/A LLY
Starchmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:02 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
mtpocket2..Go with what you can afford without putting a strain on your budget.You would not regret bigger.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:08 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mtpocket2, it seems many times we wish we'd gone bigger. More often than not, a trade involves going larger. Not always but most of the time.

I would think the slide would provide a better resale value, assuming the rig is in good to excellent condition in both cases.

Bottom line to me is do you like both models equally well? Regardless of resale, regardless of size, you are going to spend time in it for as long as you own it. Will you be happy with your decision?

Good luck. I hope you have many years of enjoyment from whichever you get.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:07 AM   #17
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
We have a 2000 Montana Mountaineer TT (says so right on it !). The way I understand it Montana made TTs under the Mountaineer name (ours says "Montana - Mountaineer Model 305FKS"). When they decided to build a new facility, the Mountaineers (TTs)were going to be built there and the Montanas stay at the old facility. About that time TTs seemed to lose favor with the buying public and everyone seemed to be buying 5th wheels. So they decided to come up with the Mountaineer line of 5ers to offer something for a little le$$ money than the Montanas. I didn't know they have both names on it again. We bought ours "previously loved" and have been impressed with the quality - no "real" problems at all!

1999 F250 SD/SC V-10 Lariat
2000 Montana Mountaineer TT 305FKS
'92 GMC Conversion Van - 350TBI
Weatherford, TX
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:12 AM   #18
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Thanks everyone for your input. We purchased a 31RLD a week ago. Used it once and love it. Many more questions to come.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:34 AM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
mtpocket2,
Congrats on your new 31RLD. I am sure it will provide you many years of happiness to come.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:14 PM   #20
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
MT I have had my 2005 Mountaineer TT for just over a month and let me tell you we looked high and low at 3 RV shows, 6 dealers, ebay and every online place you can think of before we purchased the 330RKBS. We love it. We looked at the advantaiges of a 5th wheel over the Travel Trailer because of storage but we have yet to fill up the storage on this unit. I turned on the heater in the unit last night because it was chilly and the heater keeps it nice and toasty. The airconditioner works well but I wish we had a second unit for those 100+ days here in Oklahoma. The interior is exactly what I wanted and we don't have to step up or down in the middle of the night. I also like the level floor plan for Pee Wee our corgie who can't get up the steps very well.
After looking at the Holiday Ramblers(partner was hooked on them) and the other options I am convinced we made the perfect choice. I am so glad we got a TT and not a HR 5th Wheel.
With this said, it is all about what you want and need.
Good Luck bud!
Phil

Okie Cowboy Guy
1997 Chevy 3500 Truck with Prodigy Brake Control
2005 Montana Mountaineer 330-RKBS
http://i1.tinypic.com/23k9b4g.jpg
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote