Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
JNG3455SA
Established Member

M.O.C. #12231
I would generally agree that most of us grey beards aren't trashing their campsites, but over the years I have seen representatives of all generations behave irresponsibly. All that said, most of the people that commit to camping in any form seem to have some appreciation for the environment. I hope that doesn't change. Been staying in camping parks and the great outdoors since my childhood. From the good ole days with my parents in a pop up, to my college days in a cheap tent. I sometimes feel like a bit of sellout in my Montana (what with all the creature comforts), but I'm getting over it.

JNG3455SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #22
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, my take on this subject:
Any group of people will be made up of different types, some that are clean, thoughtful and polite. Some somewhere in-between, and some that are not nice, to put it... well nicely. Pigs may fall into that last category, don't know.
Does not really matter what age, group, profession, or demographic make-up.
We just have to think the best about people and deal with what we encounter in life.
I am sorry that nice folks like you two: Dick and Joyce, have to deal with the not-so-nice people that come to your area.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #23
ALSAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12193
I was raised to police our camp sites with the boy scouts or family camping and passed it in to my son and now when we take our grandson him as well, we do not only do our site but others as well,when ask why by our grandson my responce was becaise it is the right thing to do and we are but caretakers ot the earth not owners
Alan of AlSan
ALSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #24
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Well put!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The worst we ever saw was quartzsite shortly sfter the "big event " It was a trash heap. Folks dumped their black tanks everywhere.Garbage tossed in the desert. The problem seems worse these days than it was years ago.Maybe more campers???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #26
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
When we were growing up, we weren't allowed in the living room; we were to be seen and not heard when company was over; and we never addressed an adult by their first name.

Nowadays, we have wannabe gangsta's holding up their shorts because they are wearing them so low (BTW, did you know that in prison this is a booty call? Wonder how that would go over if these people knew that!); we have children talking back to us; and we see trash (especially from cigarette smokers) everywhere.

Do ya think it could be the lack of upbringing?

Thanks, Mom & Dad!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:09 AM   #27
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
We used to own a cottage on Cape Cod that we rented out in the summer for a few weeks ata time. Cleaning up after someone left generally took 2 or 3 hours. Seldom did anyone do their own cleaning up, even though there was a sign that said "leave it as u found it".... maybe no one could read.
Guess it's just one of the drawbacks of dealing with the public.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #28
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Last fall, we stopped at a beautiful county park near Ponca City, Oklahoma. Like always, we policed our site for trash, and found the site next to us needed attention....and then the next and so-on, and so-on. We ended up cleaning all of the sites and then looked at the shoreline where we found tons of "BUD" bottles.....In fact, we filled a small dumpster with just beer bottles! We later learned that Oklahoma has a law about having an open container in a car; people were just throwing their bottles into the brush along the perimeter of the campground. This was a very sad situation with no immediate cure.

We talked with the regional ranger, he said they didn't pick up trash anymore due to budget restraints. We watched his workers just drive through the parks several times a day and do nothing besides nursing their coffee cups.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #29
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Believe it is the way children are raised that cause all the disregard for parks, campgrounds and etc. Many are not instructed in keeping sites clean or disposing of trash in a container. This covers all areas of the country and classes of people.
Have seen it all in all ages and income classes. Some of our younger generation do respect the parks and enviroment as well as many of us older generations.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #30
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
My kids were always taught to leave a place cleaner then we found it. Happy to say as young adults they still practice that philosophy and are preaching it to their kids...Love when a plan comes together...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I guess we are the last of the perfect generation as it seems we always do everything right.i guess all the trash we see at C.G.s are left the younger generation...could not be us.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #32
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Many of the folks who prompted this post were forty or older. Only one group in their teens or early twenties.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote