Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2008, 01:27 AM   #1
Polaris Family
Established Member

M.O.C. #1655
Terrible surprise!

Let me start by saying my husband and I both drive cautiously. We do not push our equipment to the limit. We have several years of experience towing and pay close attention to how things are working.

As we were returning from our last trip, backing our Monty into our driveway, we noticed a noise at the wheel that we had not heard before. So yesterday he started checking into the problem.

When he jacked up the driver's side rear tire/wheel and rotated it there was a terrible clunk-ing noise! He removed the tire and break-drum to find the adjuster/tentioner and spring fall out on the ground. While that is disturbing enough, that's not the bad part. There was no evidence that there had ever been any brake shoes there! There was no break dust, no worn out pads, nothing!

There had been no indication of a problem until we heard the noise. The trailer did not pull during braking, or give any other indications. We've been lucky enough to never have had to slam on the brakes. I hate to think what may have happened if we had been in that situation!

Polaris Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:39 AM   #2
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

Wow!!! Thats a major problem requiring through research.You mentioned the "brake drum" was removed and there were no shoes,not even bare shoes with no lining on them? This is a major safety concern due to the fact if they are drum brakes and "no shoes" are there and the tensioner spring and adjuster are floating around in the brake drum the wheel cylinder should have blown out because there would be nothing to hold the cups/spring in place.Every slightest tap of the brakes would have moved the wheel cylinders internal parts to each end blowing the wheel cylinder out thus allowing brake fluid to drain out and finally drain the fluid resevoir.

Did the brake or low fluid level light come on?

I've done so many brake jobs over the years I've lost count,industrial application and auto/truck on/off highway.This problem you've described could have had a catastrophic ending.I would take pictures of every item surrounding this particular brake assy.

Please keep the forum updated on your findings.
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:53 AM   #3
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

Sorry... I thought it was the truck!!! My mistake.

Still a major trailer safety problem that needs through research.I would contact the dealer immidiately and take pictures of everything including the wheel next to it showing a complete working brake assy.

I'm inclined to go check "Project Mountaineer" shortly for piece of mind.
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:58 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Phil it was on the trailer, electric breaks, no fluid. I found the same situation on my Wells Cargo utility trailer. hauled it beck to dealer and they looked at it and gladly replaced the whole drum/brake assembly.. Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:03 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I guess one just never knows what you get. Like Forrest Gump says, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get!" Of course he also says "Stupid is as stupid does". I think the latter applies to your brakes..... So glad you found the mistake BEFORE a major mishap.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:05 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
a unforgivable over sight that does not fall into the ...people make mistakes category... What you describe is criminal and should not be set aside.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:38 AM   #7
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
From what we saw at the factory, the axles are installed on the frame with the drums already attached. Otherwise, they are not assembled on the trailer. That shows us that Dexter needs to step up their inspection also and Keystone must enforce that inspection policy!
There was a lot of luck here due to the fact no accident was caused by insufficient braking ability. Not only could there been a lot of damage caused by the missing brake pads, someone might have been injured very bad or worse, even killed.
Thank your lucky stars there was not the need for a panic stop!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:56 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I hate to do this but you show an 04 Monty. Who has been servicing the brakes and checking the bearings since 05? The recommended service is at least yearly. The last one to do that service is responsible. If you just bought it then the Dealer is responsible/liable.
Glad you found it.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I wasn't trying to lessen the severity of your problems or suggest that it "should be set aside" only the fact that people make mistakes. I can't believe someone would do this on purpose. I guess my faith in man is different than some others. I am glad that no mishap became you.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was not pointing at you Phil. Yourself as a aviator amd myself as working in Aviation understand that there are mistakes that just can not be made and there is no second chance.That someone would make the mistake of not installing brake pads at all is such a mistake.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:00 AM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Wow, now thats a first haven't never heard of someone leaving the brake pads off??? As someone said above the axles and drums are put together and delivered to the factory to be mounted to the frame. I agree with H. John, I would have to question why this wasn't found during a brake and bearing check when being serviced should be yearly. Still there is no excuse for this to happen. I hope you made pictures and I think I would be calling someone. Good Luck and be thankful no one was hurt. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Agree with others comments here. When I purchased my unit it too had failed braking system and submitted complaint that would have driven further expense on my part verses my ability to resolve and feel more comfortable in knowing the resolution was compliant to my expectations. I took the DIY path and will not look back...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote