Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2008, 05:13 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Well, I finished

I finished my annual detail washing and waxing. It took me about a week. When I say "detail", I mean every inch of the exterior. This allows me to examine for loose screws (like on the fender skirts), any damaged parts or scratches on the unit, etc. When I say a week, I am talking about retirement speed. If there was an RV prom, we are shined up and ready to go.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Stiles, I envy you. My Montana looks like it's three years old. Being on the road so much is very difficult to keep things clean. Too many CG's and Parks do not allow washing of rigs. I try to take advantage when I can, but it is frustrating when I have to go so long without washing. Any ideas would be appreciated.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Phil,

When we were in California Newport Beach there were mobile wash guys in vans running around washing and waxing folks RVs while the owners watched in their bikinis and floppy hats in lawn chairs sucking Mai Tai's. Probably expensive, given the campsites sites were $300 a night to begin with, but just a thought.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:12 AM   #4
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Phil, Sometimes when traveling I to find it hard to find a place to wash the unit. So when its real bad and I have a short days drive, we fill the fresh water tank, head out early, and find a spot on the road. Like a rest stop, exit with plenty of space, truck parking on the edge of rural towns. I even asked once at at gas station in a rural area in Minnesota, they said not in the station, put said I could wash it in the vacant lot across the street. With the truck hooked up I can get the front from the bed of the truck, and carry expandable pole for the brush on the sides. Always have plenty of extra hose to reach around the unit from the convience center and outside shower/hose. Usually takes about 2-3 hours depending how many bounce sheets I need on the front.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
exav8tr,
What has worked for me for many years is the 98 cent bottle of WalMart brand window cleaner. If I haven't been in one of those really bad down pours that gets the rig really nasty while traveling on really nasty roads, it works great. Just go around the rig and spray it on and wipe the rig down as you go along. Usually it is the lower half of the rig that gets dirty enough to notice. Sometimes as you say you will have to spend the effort washing the rig.
The window cleaner worked for several years for me on a race car and I have noticed no damage to the paint or surface of any of the cars, trucks or rvs we have had. This method will prolong washing the rig. I do wax the rig once a year and the cap twice.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
While we're on the topic, I was wondering, does anyone know why so many campgrounds and RV parks don't allow you to wash your RV onsite? I've been wracking my brain trying to figure that one out and it doesn't make any sense.
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Is that like Wrack of Lamb? couldn't resist.

I think its because they are on well system typically, but just a guess. I also imagine if you were real dirty, all the junk gets deposited in the campsite (mud, salt, tar, gravel, etc).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have found that if you "bucket wash" your rig, most CGs don't say anything. I have a 12' folding ladder and use a bucket of water and a micro fiber cloth ( and bounce if needed)to get the bugs off the Montana and the truck. I do this early in the morning before much is going on.

What the managers object to is the spraying of water all over the place, making mud and slush along with wasting water. With the method I use, the only water getting on the ground is a few drips and when I wring out the microfiber cloth to dry the surface. I can usually wash the entire truck with 4 or 5 buckets of clean water. When I change it, I pour the dirty water down the sewer, not on the ground. Too much work? Well it works for me and I don't get hassled.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Phil,
I have a suggestion.

Park next to Stiles and talk sweet!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Wayne, That is the best idea I've heard yet. Also, Dianna makes some goooood cookies! Back to the thread, I use the bucket method too (though rarely). In the COE grounds, they let people clean fish in a bucket, so I don't let them hassle me about the 5er. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote