Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #1
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
Lump on floor inside rig

We have noticed a definite bump under our rug that has been there for a while and wonder what it is. Rather than cut the rug or open up the belly and cut the insulation, etc we thought we would ask first to see if anyone knows what it might be, what its purpose is and if it is a problem.

It feels rounded and is feels like it might be the head of a carriage bolt or something. It is right ahead of where the spare tire is and almost at the midpoint of our floor just to the curb side of the heat duct that runs down the center of the rig.

Thanks for any responses!

Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Hi guys!!! How is ya???

We had that, sounds like what we had, and it was a bolt that had "popped" up.

We were lucky, we could reach it under the carpet, via the vent in the kitchen area. Al and John Bozarth were able (mostly John, his arms are just a weeeeee bit longer) to screw that thing back down. It has not come out since then.

Hint: You cannot hammer it down, you don't want to know why I know that!

Our method of repair saved the carpet, etc, but took well over 30 minutes and the boys were whooped when they finished it.

They did a great job! Thank ya Al and John.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We had a screw under the linoleum that had to be taken out by the dealership. Also, just pulled a staple out of the carpet in the bedroom. I kept stepping on this sharp thing when I was barefoot in the bedroom. A staple was bent and had worked it's way up and made a raise spot. I finally worked it out with tweezers.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We have a screw that has been under our carpet by our bed ....hasnt moved so we figure we will just leave it. Quality Control and someone must of been sleeping!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
It's probably a parrot.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:05 AM   #6
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
we had one in the living room area on our 3400, the dealer went after it and found a piece of 1/4 round molding that had been carpeted over. Strange thing though, there is no 1/4 round molding like it in the rid.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
I had a bolt loosen up and start coming up into the linoleum. I was quite a ways from a dealer, so after calling them and discussing it, I just cut a slit in the lino big enough to get the screw all the way out. I put some glue in the hole and set a weight on the slit overnight until the glue dried. Can't see the fix at all. Left the screw out....it is one of many securing the floor to the subframe. One will never be missed.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
We had a bubble under our linoleum in the kitchen of our 2955. This past winter the linoleum cracked like glass on an extremely cold night. Had the floor redone and found a large chunk of foreign material under it. As mentioned above, Quality Control trys out your camper before you get it. That is where they loaf, sleep, and goof off.... :-) JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #9
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I had the screw come up under the vinyl floor on mine while traveling and when I pulled the slide out it ripped a hole in the vinyl. Out warranty and out of luck!
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
whiptail
Established Member

M.O.C. #7521
We had a piece of wood under the bedroom carpet in our 2955RL. The dealer took care of it when we went in for our initial warrenty.
whiptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:18 AM   #11
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Well I have 2 separate bump's under my carpet. One close to the heat duct and the second one close to the entertainment center. Always thought it was just a piece of padding , but will now go and check for loose bolts or what ever I find.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:03 AM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Before you go pounding on the carpet make sure that all your hamsters and parrots are in their proper cages. Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote