Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Electrical & Battery Questions

After 9 months in the new stick house we are itching to get the rig out for a 4 or 5 day trip. We spent last weekend scouting some of the closer parks to our home in San Antonio. I have been checking the trailer in storage regularly, but two questions come to my mind before I take it out again. 1) The battery is 2&1/2 years old. I may not have the time to have it checked before I take the trailer out. I will have time to put it on a battery charger before leaving. If the battery "dies" on me during the short trip, what are the possible consequences? As long as I have the rig plugged in to the TV won't the landing gear and slides still work? 2) Some of the parks we would like to try only have 30 amp service. We have a 2007 3400RL with two AC's. What appliances do I need to avoid operating simultaneously to prevent tripping the shore power? I know I can't use both AC's at the same time, but will one or the other work on 30 amp or will only the living room AC work? TIA for any advice.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
The only problem your going to have is if you lose power is you'll be sitting in the dark.30 amp service will do everything you want other than running 2 Ac's,with or without a good battery.I had a bad battery for about 6 months and the only time I noticed anything is when I would lose main power due to a Storm or something and I would be in the dark.We would get in the TV and go to dinner and when we got back the power would usually be on.I now have a new battery.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
So far as know, the only absolute requirement for a battery is to operate the trailer brakes in the event of a break away situation. Almost any battery with a some charge should be able handle that, just check that the battery is not completely dead before you set out. Otherwise everything 12v should work from the converter as long as you are hooked up to shore power, or the TV. (Not saying that is a good idea, but it should get you out of a jam).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Does anyone know the answer to my AC question? Can I run either/or AC on 30 amp?
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Either one of your AC's will work on 30 amp, just not both. When we are on 30 amp we will turn the AC off when we want to use our microwave. Usually a 1500 watt heater and the microwave will not work at same time either, especially if you plug the heater into the outlet in the main slide. I bought a meter and turned on everything one at a time and recorded the amps it pulled. I posted it in the kitchen for both of us to look at when using appliances. If you're hooked to shore power, your converter should charge your battery, unless, of course, it is completely dead.........I always run my gear and slides while either plugged into truck or shore power, no exceptions!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I can run mine on 30 amps, so I don't see why you should not be able to run yours. You may not be able to run many other high demand appliance (microwave, hair dryer) at the same time. This is where "power management" comes into play, and one reason why we have an inside switch for our water heater. (You could switch the WH over to gas for the period you are using the AC).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote