Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
melanie7ny
Established Member

M.O.C. #8832
how do i switch the water heater from LP to electr

hi, im new here, just got a new 2008 3485SA this weekend, and I am trying to not use too much LP, I have a Suburban water heater, which is propane and electric, but i'm not sure if i have to flip a switch. the fridge automatically switches when plugged in, but i'm unsure about the heater. any suggestions?

melanie7ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
open the door to the hot water tank, you should find a toggle switch to turn electric on. it might be pinned shut. Make sure you turn it off when there is no water in tank,it will ruin the element.I believe it also has to be switched off when on gas,but I am not sure.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have an '07 3075RL so not sure they are exactly the same. But mine has a switch on the inside wall panel to turn on the water heater on propane. And outside behind the cover to the water heater, there is a rocker switch for the electric. When parked, I turn on both the propane and the electric. The electric keeps the water hot during low demand. The propane kicks in during higher demand, such as taking a shower. That reduces the propane use.
If I forget to turn on the electric and the nights are cold, I hear the water heater propane kick on and off during the night. If I turn on the electric, I don't hear it at all.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
In our rig, a 2000 model, we have a 15-amp circuit breaker in the control panel on the converter that is dedicated to the water heater.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Our 3465SA has two water heater switches, one for propane and one for electric. We turn both on, the electric keeps the water hot and the propane reduces the reheat time for long showers!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
All newer Suburban water heaters are the same.
Inside the trailer you will find a panel with the indicators for the Gray, Black, Galley and Freshwater tanks. There is also an indicator for Battery charge.
Below those indicators are 2 switches. One is for the water pump and the other is for the LP to the water heater.
Outside find the cover for the water heater. Remove that cover and in the lower left hand corner toward the back is a rocker switch that should be pinned in the OFF position. Remove the pin and switch to ON.
When I have the Electric ON I have the LP off. YES, you can use LP and Electric at the same time. The only time I use the LP is for a quicker recovery but this is very rare. With just the electric on my DW and I can both take showers and not use up the 10 gallons of hot water. Using both at the same time is actually an unnecessary waste of LP.

One thing to be sure of is to always turn the Electric OFF when you drain the hot water tank or you will burn out the electric heating element.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
melanie7ny
Established Member

M.O.C. #8832
thankyou everyone for the directions! i found the switch and all is well! by the way, we absolutely love our new monty!
melanie7ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And turn the electric switch off and re-pin it when it is not being used, like in storage or for long periods of time if you are hooked up to electricity. It will boil the water out after a prolonged period of time with no water flowing through the heater.

It was on our check-list and I re-pinned it every time we pulled up and moved. Easy task to do while draining black and grey waters and back-flushing.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

All newer Suburban water heaters are the same.......Below those indicators are 2 switches. One is for the water pump and the other is for the LP to the water heater.
Almost - careful with absolutes!

2008 10th anniversary mid Montana midyear change.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:56 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
"All newer Suburban water heaters are the same." Yes, some of the older units are only 6 or 8 gallon and some are 12+ gallon put what we see on the outside is the same. At least it was on every Suburban I have looked at in recent years.

The control panel inside the trailer is not the water heater.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

O.K. Brad, did you happen to investigate that new control panel? Is the new electric water heater switch a 110V one or just another 12V one like the others? I would suspect 12V but then there has to be a relay somewhere to actually switch the 110V circuit.

I went to the Montana website and pulled up the wiring diagram......Not!

This would be a nice upgrade for those of us who can't or won't use the circuit breaker as a switch for the 110V water heater and still have to go outside to flip the switch.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #12
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Something I learned the hard way. My switch is on the outside. lower left corner of the tank. When I am at the stick house and the rig is hooked up to ground power, I turn the switch off. Don't need hot water there. But sometimes when we would hit the road, I would forget to turn the swith back on. Set up at RV park with ground power and remember I did not turn on the switch, which I would do. Like I said, I learned the hard way. The switch is not made to accept that surge of current if you are plugged into ground power. It did not burn out the first time. But did burn up eventually. I carry an extra switch now. CW stocks them, Cost about $10.
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

Quote:
quote:
O.K. Brad, did you happen to investigate that new control panel? Is the new electric water heater switch a 110V one or just another 12V one like the others? I would suspect 12V but then there has to be a relay somewhere to actually switch the 110V circuit.
No, I didn't investigate the panel to see what the voltage was on the switch. I figured the Dealer might draw the line at me getting out my toolbox on his Monty.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote