Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2008, 07:02 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Slunky = Junky

Just tossed my 20 foot Slunky in the trash, it was sitting in the sun and as soon as I started to dump tanks the thing collapsed on itself. Previously I had to duct tape a few of the sections back together as the staples had popped out of it so I had three sections instead of one. Going to stop at CW today and look at a better product I hope. Back went south yesterday so for the next few days I will not be doing a lot of bending over. I hope it comes back soon... Dave and Betsy

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Dave,

While you are shopping, take a look at the Sewer Solution. For me, it is superior to any of the stinky slinkies. I carry three, easy to put together, 10 foot sections. No need to put it on a slinky holder to get it all to flow down hill. The water jet forces all material down the hose which is not corrugated to catch debris, so it cleans easily.

You may not want it, but I started using it when began my trek and wouldn't have any other system I have seen.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
What Stiles said - I'm a copy cat and love it.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
The sticks and bricks ain't sold yet, but that is on the list along with the dog bone, washer and dryer,new GPS, water softener, genset, yada yada yada... Dave and Betsy
Old 04-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Somebody help me understand this. With the Sewer Solution do you not carry a 3" hose at all?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
In theory, you don't need a 3" slinky at all since the Sewer Solution does everything you need and hooks up with standard fittings. However, I do carry a 10' section just in case I need to use a dump station that doesn't have the necessary water hookup for the Solution's water jet (and I forgot to put enough water in the fresh tank for the flush). I would never try to use it without a water supply since it will probably plug quite easily.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
So now when I hook up for the season I use a 3" hose about 3 ft long and a piece of gutter under it. With the SS do I need to leave it hooked up all the time or put things away every time I dump?
Old 04-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yes, I have a 3" slinky -- in mothballs so to speak. The only occasion I had for using it was when I actually broke the nozzle of the Sewer Solution. The factory sent a new one free of charge because he said mine was defective when I described how it broke. The new ones don't have the issue. I got it in time for the next time the tanks needed to be emptied.

I will keep slinky, but hope I never use it. I have never been to a dump station with out a water source, but should that occur, I am ready. However, if one doesn't like the idea of Sewer Solution, you don't need any justification for not using it. The 3" slinky is used my the majority so you will have lots of company.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Let me clarify something, a Slunky isn't the hose, it is the expandable thingy that the hose sits in. Like a flexible tray. The Slunky brand is very cheaply made and as soon as it sits in hot sun it gets soft and as soon as you dump a tank the weight of the water in the 3" hose it collapses the Slunky. We picked up the other brand of hose tray and it is much stronger and a bit more expensive but works great. Like I said when the sticks and bricks are sold I will look at the other extra goodies... Dave and Betsy
Old 04-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Where do you store your Sewer Solution on your trailer please?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #11
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
So now instead of a 3" hose how many hoses do I need to carry?
Old 04-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I store mine in the sewer hose box near the rear of my 340RLQ. The connectors and 20' of hose will coil up in there.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #13
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
In some counties, we have been informed that we are REQUIRED to keep our sewer hose off the ground. Doesn't make much sense, since the connection to the sewer in the ground isn't sealed with glue or clamps. Anyway, with the SS, I use a few large flat rocks or some blocks, etc. and support the SS hose in a few places, as needed. Done!

I have 3 lengths of 10' hose for the SS because we have been in a couple of parks in one of the aforementioned counties and the sewer inlet was 25' away, and slightly UPHILL! With the regular stinky slinky 3" hoses, I had to use hose clamps to tighten everything and still had an "oops".

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #14
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Since I started this thread and it wandered off into the ether somewhere I thought I would make one more attempt to bring it back to the original subject. I tossed the Slunky, which is the expanding hose tray or cradle that the stinky slinky sits in. I bought a much better one that is much sturdier and the legs don't collapse after a day in the hot sun. However, today I broke down and bought a Sewer Solution and two extra 10 ft sections of hose so I have a total of 30 feet. I was not really impressed with the hose connections. the extensions are just slipped together, they could use a clamp at least. I may have to add a few hose clamps to avoid accidents. I loved the hose couplings for the CW Clean Dump system but the price was ridiculous. We will give the Solution system a try and see how it works. Once again in case someone missed the original subject, Slunky= Hose cradle... Dave
Old 04-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Gee, that shows my ignorance. I thought you were talking about the slinky itself. On the Sewer Solution, I have been using it since 2004 and have not had to use any clamps. If you twist it one way, it comes apart, but the other way it resists coming apart. I usually leave 20' hooked together because it will fit into the sewer hose compartment. The other 10' section is there just in case I have a longer than 20' run. Have only needed to use it once, but was glad to have it that one time.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I thought you tipped a few to many and were slurring your words. Slunky - Slinky. I learned a new word now.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #17
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Will the sewer solution pump uphill? I have a cleanout at my stick house, but it is higher than the street.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #18
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
yuppers, that is another reason I tried it, same thing back at the stick house in Wisconsin.I tried a 5 foot lift yesterday, put hose in bucket on top of ladder. Pumped up there just fine, though I wouldn't go much further. I will try higher later..
Old 04-20-2008, 11:33 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, my slunky has quite a bit of duct tape, too. But it hasn't collapsed yet. About all I use it for is to support the half-round pipe I sometimes use to support the hose.

Bigmurf, I have about three hoses that have been used and a couple of new ones never yet used. The three I use are different sizes and each has the connectors in place all the time. If I need more length they're ready to connect together without messing with getting a connector onto a hose.

The sewer solution is elegant but the old fashioned slinky is still working fine for me. Someday I may change my mind.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote