Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2007, 06:32 AM   #1
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
gooseneck hitches

has anyone put an adaptor on the fifthwheel pin to turn it into a gooseneck and pull it with a gooseneck hitch in the bed of their truck. Or seen it done this way?

muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have seen it done. I have also seen many companies stop warranty coverage on the frame for using a gooseneck adapter. The latest company I received information on no longer covering frame flex or damage was Excel.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
panhandlevern
Established Member

M.O.C. #3622
This question will surely get you the note (That will void your warranty). I note that fully a third of the fifth wheels in my little town are pulled with a Goose neck. For many it's much more useful, especially when they pull horse trailers or other GN equippped rigs. Why Keystone doesn't help with a kit to strengthen the frame is a mystery to me. For many that's the best way for them, why no support from mfg''s? A third is a very big part of their market with no support.

Vernon & Martha
02 F 250 PSD 7.3 4x4
00 Montana 3280rl
panhandlevern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
"fully a third of the fifth wheels in my little town" is just a very small fraction of all the 5th wheels being towed in the US and Canada with the conventional 5th wheel hitch. For that reson alone I cannot see any 5er manufacturer taking on such an additional cost of beefing up their frames.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
gj4040
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7002
I currently pull a Montana 3000RK with a cushioned gooseneck adapter made by Convert-A-Ball but am in the process of switching to a different brand , under bed gooseneck ball made by B & W to enable me to buy a pin to 5th wheel adapter that sits in the bed of the truck (Companion made by B & W ) and attaches to a standard 5th wheel pin. There is nothing wrong with my setup, other than the fact that should I ever have a problem with the frame, I would not be covered under any warranty by the frame manufacturer. I also pull two other recreational vehicles that are the goose-neck type hookup and have no intention to get rid of either of them at this time. I actually believe that the goose-neck type hookup is much better and easier to hook and unhook than the standard 5th wheel hookup. When you consider that most frame warranties are no more than (2) two years at best and you are adding much more in-bed weight with the standard 5th wheel hookup and all that bed space wasted with that heavy frame. I can unhook my 5th wheel, flip the ball in the truck bed down out of sight and have the whole bed of the truck for use. I also pay strict attention to the operation of my trailer brakes, making sure they are what is stopping my trailer and not my truck brakes. The cushioned adapter also acts like a shock absorber while in motion also. Just using common sense while under way has a lot to do with how your rig will hold up over time.
gj4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
There's a 3600 parked right next to us that has the gooseneck. He bought it used that way. After looking at it (there is no reinforcing of the king pin angle iron or the frame), I'm definitely against it. Now, if the frame were reinforced, then that's a different story. For those who only travel around their local area and camp, I see no reason against the gooseneck. But once on the road 12 months of the year from coast to coast and border to border, it's not for me.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #7
panhandlevern
Established Member

M.O.C. #3622
The response is just about what I thought it would be, most of you just can not see that a lot of people see the practically of GN, and when you don't understand it you condenm it. If there was something wrong with a GN, I wouldn't see several hundred a week run thru our town.

Vernon & Martha
02 F 250 PSD 7.3 4x4
00 Montana 3280rl
panhandlevern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #8
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
I see all most all horse trailers being pulled with a GN and a lot of heavy equipment trailers with dozers and such on them with a GN setup also. I have a email into Keystone asking about if the warranty would be affected if a GN adaptor was put on the pin and pulled in this way. I have a feeling that I already know what the answer will be. For me, it would be far more cost effective to go GN adaptor as the truck I bought already has the ball in the bed of the truck. Unfortunatly, it wasn't a B&W turnoverball. So the companion hitch is not an option unless I replace the whole thing and then it would be more cost effective to just buy a FifthWheel hitch and put that in the bed instead. I could do that and leave the existing GN hitch in the bed in case I have to hall my son-n-laws horse trailer around. He wants my truck already...
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Muddflapp, I pulled my 05 Montana with a GN setup installed by a Montana dealer. It pulled great and at the time I was not aware that it would void my warranty. I now have the pullrite super glide adapted to my B&W turnover. When not using I just take it out and drop the ball back in so I can pull cattle trailers and flat beds.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by panhandlevern

The response is just about what I thought it would be, most of you just can not see that a lot of people see the practically of GN, and when you don't understand it you condenm it. If there was something wrong with a GN, I wouldn't see several hundred a week run thru our town.

Vernon & Martha
02 F 250 PSD 7.3 4x4
00 Montana 3280rl
Sorry if you were offended. No offense meant. I didn't condemn the gooseneck and I didn't read where anyone else did either. The main problem that most of us had said was the frame wasn't built to take the gooseneck and Lippert will not warrant the frame if you put one on.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #11
azranger
Established Member

M.O.C. #7203
muddflapp:
Now that you have been made abundantly aware that a gooseneck hitch will void your frame warranty, I will answer your original question.
Yes, on my 20006 Dodge 3500 towing a Montana 3475RL I have a gooseneck setup with a Pop-up brand adapter. You can see the adapter at the Pop-up web site: www.popuphitch.com/rv1.htm .
I also have a Cody brand underbed hitch and a Cody Cushion air bag attachment which you can see at their web site: http://www.codyhitch.com/index.htm .
I had it all installed by a very reputable welding shop in Mesa, AZ who said they have installed many gooseneck hitches with adapters on recreational 5th wheels without a problem. I also called the Pop-up factory and was told that of the thousands of adapters they have sold, only one frame related issue has been brought to their attention.
I have pictures of my setup which you might be able to view by going to this web site:
View my setup
If it doesn't work I would be happy to send them to you via e-mail.
azranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I run both gooseneck and king pin. King pin with the Superglide for the Montana, and goose neck for the horse trailers. The option is 100% up to you about how you want to pull your coach. Try contacting Lippert or Keystone and getting their "official" stand on it, then make your choice from there.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #13
gj4040
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7002
I posted this information before and will do so again. Wanting to use my in-bed Wallace-Forge drop down goose-neck ball to tow my Montana 3000RK I contacted Keystone technical support. After explaining my setup and Convert-A-Ball cushioned gooseneck adapter I was intending on using the technician stated that I should not have any problems as he was familiar with all of the goose-neck componants and they were q2uite adequate to handle what I was pulling. When questioned about the setup voiding my frame warranty he replied that the frame warranty from Lippert actually started when Keystone actually purchased the frame, not when the finished produck was sold.. He went on to state that in the end it was Keystone who was going to stand behind repairs to the product or not. He also stated that Lippert has been strengthening their frames the last few years and frame problems are rare anymore. Of course, I asked if he would send me that in writing and he laughed stating that he sends nothing out in writing but they actually would look at any problem like that as they had done in the past.
I also contacted Dans Service Center in Elkhart and spoke with one of the owners about problems with the Convert-A -Ball gooseneck hitch adapter. He stated that they sold and recommended only that one brand of 5th wheel gooseneck adapter (the Convert-A-Ball), stating he has sold hundreds of them and, to that date, had never had one come back or knew of a problem caused by anyone using that brand adapter. Anybody wishing to substantiate this information can call Dans at 1-800-354-4824. I am presently picking up a new 2008 F-350 this week and am having the B & W gooseneck ball system put into the truck. This will enable me to have the option to purchase the B & W COMPANION adapter should I so choose to use an approved hookup. Having said all the above, please do your own research regarding the gooseneck adapter to determine if it will work for you or not.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:41 AM   #14
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
How does the gooseneck work on the short bed,not being a slider.Can you get a offset gooseneck.
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #15
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Priceml, I had one but it does not buy you anything. When you start to turn you loose the offset as the angle increases. The only time you get the advantage is when you are going straight. That is not when you need it. That is why I went with the auto slider.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
priceml,

Even with the living quarters, the horse trailer has an extremely slanted/tapered front nose on it. Turning is not an issue as the width is roughly a quarter of the Montana at the front.

For the Montana, being 8' wide up front, I would not attempt to pull it without my Superglide.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #17
azranger
Established Member

M.O.C. #7203
priceml:

I have a 2006 Dodge 3500 quad cab with a short bed and have the Pop-up model RV1 gooseneck adapter which has a 5" offset. You can see it and others at the Pop-up web site: www.popuphitch.com/rv1.htm
They have a 9" offset model also.

I estimate that I can turn to about 75 to 80 degrees when pulling my 2007 3475RL which has the new front cap corner design to allow additional clearance when turning with a short bed truck.

The offset also provides more space between the front cap and my tool chest when I need to be in the bed for such things as hooking up the safety chains and breakaway cable.
azranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:04 AM   #18
gj4040
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7002
I was told that ofsets on a goose-neck adapter are not advisable, especially the 7" and 9" ones as they create a continuous, bending pressure on the frame of the 5th wheel. These offsets, combined with improperly adjusted brakes on the 5th wheel would cause frame damage to the trailer sooner or later. I can also understand the difference in leverage (force) applied to the frame of a 5th wheel when using a standard, straight down adapter. That is why I pay strict attention to the braking force settings on my tow vehicle for the 5th wheel brakes.