Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2006, 07:53 AM   #121
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
My flashlight works just dandy! I've used it several times so far, especially when I go outside at night, I know exactly where it is. I have numerous flashlights and halogen lights but the one they put in the units are Soooooo handy. I also had a lazer light that I kept on my key chain, but I lost it...those are handy too when unlocking your storage doors at night. By the way, I got the locks changed on my access doors. I know you can break in to anything if you're determine, but I wasn't about ready to make it too convenient for anyone to use that CH751 key ....and make their way up into my laundry chute. ....and that goes for that standard brinks safe key too. Richfaa, see if your dealer will install some extra sattelite/cable connections, 12volt adapters and electrical outlets if it's something you might need down the road. I asked my dealer to install a 12volt adapter and sattelite/cable connection in my pantry, that I now use as a 3rd Entertainment Center (television/stereo cassette/am/fm/CD/DVD) inside, in the event I have extra company over and I want to watch a different TV channel or I want music only in the kitchen. I also had them install an electrical outlet and a cable/sattelite connection on the awning side storage area where you can hookup a television. They did a wonderful job....so well, I wrote them and Montana a letter saying so. Just some things you might want to consider while the unit is still on THEIR lot. And of course don't forget any additional power fans you might want installed in any regular vents that don't have them. I'm glad I have two fantastic fans installed it really makes a difference...no need for a floor fan in this unit at all. If you guys are in the area of Newark or Granville, Ohio, I'm staying at the Lazy River Campground in Granville until I relocate/transfer. Again, Good Luck and Congratulations!

SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:55 AM   #122
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Great ideas, SKOOBDOO. Did you get that, Rich?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:58 AM   #123
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
SKOOBDOO, did your dealer change out tour locks? And what did they replace them with?

I would want a extra outlet outside. Maybe even by the shore station?
Old 04-25-2006, 10:27 AM   #124
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
You can always save yourself a bunch of money and run the power cord and some coax cable through your laundry shoot to the basement. I thought about having power and cable installed down there for watching tv outside, but truth is I have only wanted to watch it outside once. The rest of the time the game was either on fm radio or on XM radio so it did not matter to much. Just another idea...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:47 AM   #125
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
BUT... If it's still at the dealership... maybe... just maybe... this could be a "no charge" service???

I agree, Dave.. I AIN'T PAYING FOR THIS!
Old 04-25-2006, 12:16 PM   #126
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
dsprik, I had a locksmith replace all the locks. The dealer did not have access to those types of cores. $70 for all of them. I didn't check around but I know I could have gotten it cheaper, but I had a long list of things I needed to do in a short time frame so I would have paid $100 and not worried about it. Anyway, I thought of all types of ways to hook-up a Television with cable/sattelite in the storage area without having the connections installed, but I don't know about you guys, I just hate wires leading from all over the place including outside, so I had them do it at the dealer. If you don't mind wires, then use an outdoor electrical extension and plug it into your outdoor electrical socket and run some coaxial cable to a Y connector to your satellite/cable hookup where you will be staying. I'm very glad now I had them do it...the convenience is surely worth it! By the way, the pantry connections I had installed may not apply to a 3400RL. I believe those units have basket storage and mine looks like a big cupboard (big enough for a TV and stereo system). I know the comparable model that Sunnybrook manufactures does have an entertainment center in the kitchen too. Maybe Montana will start making them like that also to save us folks who have the separate den some modification money I can't complain....at least these units come with a plastic laundry basket (in addition to the wire one) that I have no plans on using But overall, I'm still trying to get use to this unit...I do miss my rear kitchen I had in the other one and where I stored everything...right now I'm still trying to figure out where I put everything. Anyway, while you're waiting on your new unit, get out a camping world catalog and start ordering stuff.....that's what I did and by the time my unit came I had everything I wanted. I plan on getting rid of some camping stuff I had for my other unit that won't fit or work in this one...like A/C cover, window covers, and tire cover and other misc stuff. You guys take care and don't spend tooooo much $$$
Old 04-25-2006, 12:24 PM   #127
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
SKOOBDO
You got me thinking and I am going to have to say, I 100% agree with you. After looking back on all the things I spent money on over the past years to make things a certain way, I must admit I am baffled as to where my thinking came from? Running wire and cables through the laundry shoot to save a few pennies?? If in the future I have a "want" and install a tv down stairs, I will be following your way and have it done right the first time. Thanks for getting me back on track!
Old 04-25-2006, 12:35 PM   #128
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was going to do those cable.tv/sat connections myself but I will now see if the dealer can do it for me.I never thought about asking the dealer..thanks for the thought..Since I retired I just hate ..you know the W... word so if someone else can do it..great...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:05 PM   #129
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich
If you get a quote to having them done, please pass it along. I would be interested in what that would cost.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:50 PM   #130
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dave, If not too much, I'd probably just see if they would do it "free gratis". Might be too much time involved for them, though.

SKOOBDOO, those plastic baskets are what everyone uses to keep the 30 amp and 50 amp cords coiled up in during storage.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:06 PM   #131
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave~ dsprik,
I asked to have the shop fill the coach tires to 80psi when they dewinterized it. I was charge $30 for that request, so I am highly doubting they are going to do anything free. But that is a story that I am just going to let go... URGH!
Old 04-26-2006, 02:17 AM   #132
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
So... the price of air is going up too???
Old 04-26-2006, 02:29 AM   #133
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
You got to be kidding me, charge you to air your tires.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:57 AM   #134
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Dave~ dsprik,
I asked to have the shop fill the coach tires to 80psi when they dewinterized it. I was charge $30 for that request, so I am highly doubting they are going to do anything free. But that is a story that I am just going to let go... URGH!
WOW!

3 more fill-ups and you paid for that Sears compressor.
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:52 PM   #135
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I must admit I was not very happy when I read the invoice at home. I paid the bill and was on my way, but after seeing that and how much they charged me to install the 2nd a/c I am really starting to think twice about things. I will be purchasing my own air compressor sometime later this summer. Will sure make life easier when it comes to the coach and truck tires. I will NOT pay that kind of money to have the tire pressure increased. I was truly not expecting to be charged for this at all, especially since I had them lube the bearings and they were already working on each wheel anyway. I guess the old saying goes, live and learn. Or is it, screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me? There wont be a 2nd time, that is for sure.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:10 PM   #136
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
dsprik, this might help much with how much I was "actually" charged for just the cable and electrical outlets installed, but I will list the total labor for everything I had done, and maybe you could determine what it might be:

According to my Invoice, I was charged a total Labor Charge of $260.00 (@65.00 labor charge per hour) the dealer installed the following items:

One (1) MaxxAir Vent
One (1) Washer/Dryer Combo, drip pan, cut-out vent sidewall etc
One (1) 5th Wheel Lube Disc (free part)
Two (2) Bubble Levels (free part)
One (1) 12 volt cigarette outlet (pantry)
One (1) Cable/Satellite Connection (pantry)
One (1) 110 Volt Electrical Outlet (storage)
One (1) Cable/Satellite Connection (storage)

*I had an Extra Fantastic Fan installed but they didn't charge labor for that (part of the deal).

I thought the labor charge was fair considering what they had to do to get the pantry wired up (and it looks like it was manufactured that way) and cut-out a whole in the sidewall for the W/D vent, since these units don't come already with a vent, and that W/D Combo was heavy ...and I surely wasn't going to install it myself. The W/D Combo was $934.99....I'm a happy camper that everything on my list has been completed and done looks professional. Hope this helps you guys! Allison
Old 04-27-2006, 04:48 AM   #137
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Allison. I will probably look for a 120 outlet in the front compartment, and a "roadside" outdoor outlet to go with the outlet that should factory installed on the curb side. Not sure on a cable outside outlet yet. Do any of you guys get a lot of use out of an outside (or basement) cable outlet?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:57 PM   #138
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
As I mentioned in another thread, we had to take our 3400 back to have the slides adjusted to seal better when they were out. The work was suppposed to take about 2 hours so I just goofed around looking at new trailers etc.

When I returned and inspected the work, I realized they had just stuck some additional sealing rubber behind the slides rather than doing the work correctly. When I questioned them about what had been done, I was told the guy that did the work had only been "in the business" for a short while and didn't know how to "adjust" the slides. I made them take another 2 hours to do it right!!

I am now very skeptical about asking the dealer to do anything that may be even a bit out of the ordinary. For example, electrical wiring. By code, any outlet that is accessable from the outside, must be connected through a GFI device. I wonder if the average tech that might be doing the work at the typical dealer even knows what a GFI is.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:54 AM   #139
weisenberger
Established Member

M.O.C. #5752
We just traded in our 2005 Keystone 290EFS for a 2006 Montana 3400RL, we really liked the floor plan and provides plenty of inside storage. Taking it out this weekend for a shake down run.
weisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:42 AM   #140
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well you made a good choice.We brought our 3400 home yesterday and it is out in the driveway being "stuffed". See you on the road..Check the rally section for the Great Lakes regional rally in August..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote