Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
hydman
Established Member

M.O.C. #9612
New Old Guy has a question

I've been in the shadows around here for some time and for a old dude who has years of experience with 3 different fivers I'm still amazed at how much I've learned. Before the question I'd like to say thank you to all for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

Now for the question: I just traded my old best friend, a 2003 Silverado 2500HD 4WD CC LB, for the one in my signature. My concern is the height of the new one compared to my old buddy. It appears to sit roughly 3 or 4 inches higher and I'm not sure whether or not I can level it out with just the adjustments on the hitch and pinbox and still keep my bed clearance. Anyone towing with this setup and are you nose high on the fifth wheel.

TIA

Walt

hydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:21 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Without the trailer, my TV sits a bit high in the rear. With the trailer, the bed is level. I needed to adjust the hitch one notch to get the trailer level.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:32 AM   #3
hydman
Established Member

M.O.C. #9612
Thanks Jim, I added airbags to the 03 to level it out with the fith wheel hitched up and to keep my headlights where they belonged. I'm not planning on doing any more towing after dark so I might be ok with the way it sits. Getting the hitch installed next week so I'll know more then. I don't mind the rear end of the truck squatting just a bit, but I like to keep the fith wheel as level as I can when towing.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:38 AM   #4
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Our 07 New Body 3/4 as noted in Signature does appear high without the Montana. With it, it is virtually level. No issues with night lights. I like your truck! Good Luck
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:30 AM   #5
hydman
Established Member

M.O.C. #9612
Hi Dennis, thanks for the input. I like the truck too but lots to learn about all that new fangled stuff on it.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:51 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I know the newer ones sit higher than the older models but since you went from a 2500 to a 3500 that's even more pronounced. Also, the 3500 probably has an extra leaf in the rear springs, kind of a helper spring. A given pinweight may not drop the tail as low on the 3500 as on the 2500 (avoiding the need for the airbags) but it may drop it down closer to level than you think. At least that's my experience with both the Dodge 3500 and the Ford F250 and F350 models. Once you get that hitch installed you'll have a better feel. You may have to raise the hitch and/or lower the pinbox some.

Good luck and glad to have you posting. We can always use help from those with your experience.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:42 AM   #7
hydman
Established Member

M.O.C. #9612
Hi Steve and again thanks. Be glad to help with my experience in any way I can. Most of my experience stems from mistakes I've made and learned from. This forum seems to be a great place to lessen and even prevent some of the mistakes for all of us. Wish I had known sooner how much I don't know.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
I had to get my truck lowered two inches in the rear to tow level. I also removed the helper springs. No camper I've ever sat on it has budged it. It was very high in the back before I lowered it. Now it's perfect.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:31 AM   #9
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...55&whichpage=1

This adjacent thread was going a few days ago.............was more directed to the Dodge though. I posted a q in there about the GM but it never really got a response. I too am curious about the bed height on the newer GM models in relation to towing the RV's. I guess I was more curious about the bed to RV clearance than the actual ride heights. Obviously they are in direct relation so am curious to hear from more people's experince with the new GM trucks particularly. Thanks!
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:44 AM   #10
hydman
Established Member

M.O.C. #9612
I'll take the tape measure to the rear top of the bed rail this AM after work. I know it will be several inches higer than the 03 in relation to the ground, but I also want to check on the depth of the bed as well. I'm thinking it may be a one or two inches deeper than the 03 also so I'll confirm that by measuring from the top of the rail to the bed floor. Since both of these dimensions will affect the bed to RV clearance and the ride height I'm still a little concerned.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
My '08 Chevy has higher bed rails than my '05. I had to put a riser on my hitch and the trailer sits about an inch higher in the front than rear, no problem though. I now have about 6 inches clearance between trailer and bed rails. I have an air hitch that I could put more air in if I need to to raise it up even more in case of bumps or bumpy roads. Don't know if the truck and suspension guys could put a spacer in the trailer springs to raise it up if need to level. I would not worry about an inch or so. I think I also moved the hitch a hole or so......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
hydman
Established Member

M.O.C. #9612
Just got home and measured. From the ground to the top of the bed rail was 58.5" and bed depth was 21.375". I also read on the net that the new 3500 sits a little over 3 inches higher than the 2500. If the truck squats at least 2-3 inches I think I'll be ok. Oh well, I'll find out for sure next week after the hitch install. Thanks again to all that replied.

Walt
Old 03-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good luck, Walt. Please let us know how it turns out. I'm sure your experience will be of value to others considering a similar purchase.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
hydman
Established Member

M.O.C. #9612
Sorry for the delay in posting the results. My 28 year old nephew in Tucson was killed in a one car accident. He was a passenger in a car that lost control in a heavy rain. Hit a light post at 50 mph and not wearing a seatbelt. It was an older car with no airbags. Please remember him in your prayers. If I could only add contribute one thing to this forum it would be a plea to all to wear your seatbelts. Please!!!

On a happier note, I just came back from a test run in the new truck. I had to raise the B&W companion to the top holes (about 2 inches) to get my bed clearance to 5 3/4". The truck sank 3 1/4" inches at the back bumper leaving me nose high on the trailer to the tune of roughly 2 1/2" inches. When setting the ITBC I was happy to see the front and rear axle both lock up together telling me that my rear axle isn't carrying appreciable more weight than the front. The power difference in the new truck compared to the 03 was very noticeable and the ITBC system is fantastic. Settled on a gain of 7.0 for the controller. I think I'll call it good.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #15
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Our 08 3500 DRW Chevy sits pretty much level with our 3150RL and was about the same with the 2955RL. We have one hole higher we can raise the hitch.
Something took me by surprise was that the new 2010 3150RL with the MorRyde pin box is about 6" closer to the front of the trailer than the 2955RL we had. I measured a new 2010 3400RL and it was also shorter. This causes an issue opening the front bay door all the way open when hitched up. This does shift more pin weight to the bed if I am thinking right. But I think the turning radius is better. This would also maybe cause a little more bed drop. I called Keystone to make sure I had the right MorRyde pin box. I think the MorRyde pin box is 6" shorter than the stock pin box.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #16
hydman
Established Member

M.O.C. #9612
I would think that if your front bay door doesn't clear the truck when open that you may be a little close on your hitch. In a tight turn you could get into your truck. I'm not that familiar with the MorRyde hitch but I'd sure follow up with them before towing
Old 03-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #17
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Nope, the turning is just fine. In fact it turns better than the longer stock pin box especially backing up and also has a lot more bed side clearance than what I had with the stock pin box on the 2955. You can count on it, turning was my first concern. This is just the way it is on the newer units with the MorRyde pin box. You can look up the MorRyde pin box at MorRyde's site and check out what is recommended. The new units come with a Lippert 1116 stock pin box and the MorRyde pin box is a RPB72-1116.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote