Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Honda portable generators EU2000i

How do you secure duel Honda EU2000i generators while in use?

Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Tie them to a pitbull or a mongoose.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Either a cable and padlock them to the Monty, or use the ToyLok I have bolted to the frame of the Monty or I can attach Teddy the Camping Cat and he'll scratch their eyes out if they try and take the Gennys.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I use a coated bike cable and a lock. I feed the cable through the back stabilizer and loop the other end through the handle on the generator then lock it back on itself.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
There is really no way to secure them. All you can do is wrap a chain around them. If they really want them they will cut any cable or chain with cutters. We also wrap them with a heavy tow strap that can't be cut with bolt cutters. I figure it will slow them down anyhow. Don't just chain the handles, they just cut them. There is a steel overlay that goes over the handles available.
And Merry Christmas to you and Rosetta.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hookman

I use a coated bike cable and a lock. I feed the cable through the back stabilizer and loop the other end through the handle on the generator then lock it back on itself.
Same here
PapaBeav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hookman

This is what I do when I do use my genny. I also have a small sign that says "Protected by Mossberg"
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:55 AM   #8
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
High quality chain and lock....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:08 AM   #9
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We also use a cable and lock.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:35 AM   #10
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Cable and Lock
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:14 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I went to Home Depot and purchased the best cable that they sold, another cable that you might look into is one with the name Kriptonite locks and cables (spelled wrong) U have the Idea though. I run it through the square tubing for the slide then to the gen sets, if it rains they are under cover from the rain I also carry a rubber door mat to set them on the help keep them off the dirt.
here is a chain I used for a gate when I was working that never got cut again great stuff a little costly but very cut proof.

http://www.tulsachain.com/asccustomp...odKlizqA<br />

after a little more resurch I found these aditional topics on this lock and chain.

http://www.amazon.com/OnGuard-Beast-...e_sg_ai_-2_t_4

http://www.nextag.com/kryptonite-lock/compare-html

http://www.rogueperformanceproducts....ag&ad=Products

I liked this one the best and this is the one I used for the gate.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good job Don! Great ideas.

I got a big towing chain, I will weave a cable through it, then get a big plastic hose and thread the chain into the hose.
I use a hose-covered chain on my ladder for my truck, have for 20 years. Had to change the hose a few times.
Back to the generators: to cut through the chain, cable and hose is just too much work for many.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #13
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Easier to cut the plastic handle unless you have a steel guard on it
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
If you looping the cable or chain through the handle of the generators, you need to realize the handle is only made of plastic and can be cut through in seconds with a hacksaw. If you want the best security, you are further ahead to wrap the cable/chain tightly around the generator body (again, through the handle) if possible.

(sorry for the quick and dirty drawing)
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #15
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
There is no chain or lock made that a skilled thief can't cut in just a minute or two with a cordless grinder and the proper disk, and if they really know what they're doing it makes very little noise. I won't mention how they do this for obvious reasons. I would suggest using the best chain and lock you can find, and some sort of alarm system. I have seen several different types of alarms used but the best was a home made system using a battery powered screach alarm with a mercury switch housed in a small lockable metal box attached to the chain. Any movement of the box would set the alarm off, and it was nearly impossible to cut the chain or the lock without the box moving. Even knowing what it was and how it worked my guys tripped the alarm twice before finally beating it.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #16
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The worse part of portable generators is their best feature, their portability. There will need to be some effort to reduce this feature like locks, alarms, cables, hardware platforms and by the time you're done you've probably spent what it would have cost to install and hard wire a genny. But you won't be able to take that one anywhere.

I like my portable gennys a lot because I can use them for lots of uses outside being connected to the RV. I am always within distance when they are in use, but like my law-enforcement relatives have told me, if a thief wants anything bad enough, they're gonna get it. The trick is to reduce the desire for them to want it bu using the many preventative measures already mentioned or as they also said, just make sure it's worse than whatever your neighbors' have done and even that doesn't always work. UGH!

Great post Jay Bird. It's getting us to remain aware and always trying to stay ahead of the undesirables. I'd always like to have neighbors like Smith and Wesson, but our neighbors are now Nerf and Smurf. Such is the ways of the civilized world while the uncivilized are still around.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #17
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
As has been said a battery opperated portable grinder, liquid nitrogen, cutting torch.
There is nothing out there that will keep a thief from taking you stuff, but you can make it hard for him where he will try your neighbor's stuff because it will be a easier take then YOURS. the chain I was refering to cant be cut with bolt cutters, a torch and liquid nitrogen give access to your stuff.

But most thiefs in campgrounds use bolt and cable cutters as for Nitrogen not to many people have that stuffed in there pockets.
if you make it easy for the thief he will take your stuff regardless who you are.

I have never lost anything at a campground or BLM land yet in all my years of camping sence 1971. now at my storage lot thats a differant story.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #18
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We haven't gotten our Montana yet, but after lugging two EU2000's around to power our horse trailer, I will shell out the extra cost for the convenience of a built in generator. The portables are good and do the job, but I could do without lifting them in and out of the trailer, stringing the power cord and locking them down each time we park. It's also a hastle to have to go outside to start and stop them, particularly in bad weather.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #19
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Thanks to everyone for your helpful info and you to Jim. I agree that if the thief wants it bad enough he will get it. However, I don't want to just hand it to him. Again thanks,
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:45 AM   #20
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
One additional thing you can do. Have a 1 gal. gas can sitting right along side the generator. When they steal the generator, they will also help themselves to the gas can. Oh, forgot to mention, one quart of molasses and 3 quarts of gas mixed well should do it. Even if they sell the generator and not use it, they will use the "gas" in something.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote