Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Direct tv in Montana

We arrived in Montana and set up our direct tv dish like usual and called direct tv to get the local channels only to find out that direct tv does not offer local channels in Montana! So we had to apply for access to a west coast feed...so far CBS has denied access waiting for the other networks answer. Has anyone else had this problem in Montana??

cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mark and Wendy,
It does not surprise me that there is no or at least very limited "local" channels access in Montana. There are few large towns and probably a very limited number of local stations.

DNS east and west is what we have in addition to "locals". Of course you can only receive "local" within a 2 to 3 hundred mile radius. We have never changed our "local" channels while on the road. We usually are only in one place for a week or so at a time. If we want "local" stuff we just put the antenna up.

Good luck.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
We do pretty much as Dennis does. When traveling if we get out of the local footprint area and we want locals we just crank up the antenna with the Winegard Wingman. Actually we don't watch the locals all that much.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I applied for an RV waiver for the east west channels. Had to provide registration for Monty and it does cost an additional fee.
I would go back to direct TV (that is who I have) and work with them again.
Good luck,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Call them back and ask for DNS or Distant Network service rep. If they tell you there is no such thing hang up and call back. It may take a few calls but they can email you the waiver and you can fax it back with a "copy" of your RV registration... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
So what exactly is the DNS? Do we have to get rid of the dish we already have? We have the waiver but wasn't really clear on what exactly it envolves.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
This Direct TV Q&A many help.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
KardRV
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10180
When we went to Yellowstone with out Direct TV box and a dish, I was told that I would be able to get the cable channels any where I went, but if I was outside my local area I would not be able to get the LOCAL channels. This isn't a big deal for us, many channels that broadcast weather and such for the states we travel through.
KardRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We called Direct tv back and the guy said they have submitted a request for us to get the west coast/east coast feeds and it might take up to 45 days for an answer. I don't think this is the same thing as the DNS as we didn't fill out anything or send a copy of our registration on the 5th wheel. I don't think the guy we talked to at direct tv knows what he is doing..........
Old 05-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Mark, I think you need to follow Exnavydivers advice. It sounds like they think you want distant channels for a permanent residence.
You need to talk to someone who understands rv's and distant networks.
I believe you will need to fax your registration to them. If they are not asking for it you are in the wrong department. Unfortunately only about 1 in 5 understand what you are talking about. Once you get the right person and they get your registration it should only be a flip of the switch and you are ready to go.

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:08 AM   #11
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Ok I talked to someone at directv that actually knew what they were talking about and just need to fill out the waiver and copy of registration of 5th wheel and send back to them....just like you all said lol. For those who are curious it costs 14.00 more a month to get this added on to the package you already have. Thanks for all your help!! I love this site
Old 05-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Well, I was going to chime in supporting the waiver, etc., but since you already did it, I won't!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote