Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Route from Cheyenne Wy to Devil's Tower

Mapquest says to go 25 to 18/20 to 85/18 to 585 I was looking at the map & it looks more direct going 25 to 59 to 90 & I ran it thru Good am & it agreed wih me. Anyone had any personel experience with either of these routes? Thanks, Dave

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
HAHA - All those newfangled toys in your truck and you still have a "Bic Lighter on Console"? What, no cigarette lighter?

Anyway, my experience is that MapQuest sucks - always has, always will. Google maps is not much better but it is better.

I used Trailer Life Directory Campground Navigator 2008 and it followed your "Good am?" plan, but I had to specify stay off minor highways. Microsoft Streets and Trips plotted the same thing by default. I think the consensus is that Mapquest sucks. Mapquest likes to use the shortest route no matter what (it would probably send you through alleyways if they were mappable).

I have been on the I-90 from Yellowstone and the Custer National monument eastward bound to Devil's tower and the terrain tends to flatten out on the eastern side of Wyoming, so I think your planned route should be good.

According to TLDCN2008 you start out about 6000ft in Cheyenne, then eventually drop to 4900 to 4500 when you get past Douglas, Wyoming (about 130 miles from Cheyenne) as you turn off to the 59, then stay in the 4000 ft level all the way to Devil's Tower. There will be some >6% grades (up and down) on I-90 prior to taking the turnoff to Devil's Tower, but otherwise should be good.

Devil's Tower is AWESOME! Definitely in the "How'd they do that?" category. Take some strong binoculars or telephoto lense and count the climbers ALL around the Tower.

Let me know how your trip turns out.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:09 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have done both of these route and prefer I-25 to US 85. We also took a couple of side trips into Nebraska to some of the National Landmarks. Beautiful scenery.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:51 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
"Anyway, my experience is that MapQuest sucks - always has, always will. Google maps is not much better but it is better."

"......... I think the consensus is that Mapquest sucks. Mapquest likes to use the shortest route no matter what (it would probably send you through alleyways if they were mappable)."

No, Art! Not all of us think "Mapquest sucks". I use it all the time and find that it works great. As always we use all our various navigation tools and never rely on just one. We then use our own input to make the final decision regardless of what the tools may have shown us.

Travel safely.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We stayed at the Terry Bison Ranch outside Cheyenne (nice place & it is a P.A. park so it was cheap) Teresa went in the office & talked to the boss who said she had made a loop up & down the routes I inquired about & that the Mapquest way was the best with regards to no traffic,road condition & scenery so that is the way we went. It was a nice drive except for the wind which blew (and I mean BLEW) from the west the whole way.I am glad we went that way cuz about halfway up I questoned how cold & windy it would be at Devil's Tower so we stopped in Newcastle & talked to a lady at an info/chamber building who told us how it was snowing up thataway when she left that morning. So instead we headed east on 16 & up into Hill City where we have our summer Workamping jobs at Rafter J Bar ranch.We figure we will go do a day trip to D.T. at some point when it is warmer out.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We are in Casper right now and going to Sundance (Devils Tower) Tuesday and Wednesday and then two weeks or so in Rapid City. Any other MOCers going to be there then?
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:28 AM   #7
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
If you already don't have a place in mind to stay Rafter J Bar Ranch where we are workamping for the summer is BEAUTIUL. Had "10" deer grazing last right out my back window. Only 5 miles south of Rapid City and central location to Mt Rushmore,Custer, Crazy Horse check it out. Hope to see you. Teresa and Dave
Old 05-09-2009, 04:22 AM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We just love Rafter J. It is our favorite park in the Black Hills but is very busy in the summer. Reservations are a must.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:37 AM   #9
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We are ROD members so will be staying our two weeks at Rushmore Shadows. If we extend our Rapid City stay, we will try the Rafter J.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:00 AM   #10
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I concur on Rafter Bar J. I liked how they had the campsites in pods instead of one huge group. We also enjoyed the Michelson trail right at the bottom of the campground. If we are in that area, we will definitely stay at Rafter Bar J. A little more money, but definitely nice. One thing you find in that part of the west - WIND. Brother-in-law works in Cheyenne and travels from near Red Feather Lakes, Colorado every day. Some days, the wind is 100 mph. Add five feet of snow and you have a real mess.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote