Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Refer temp setting

I have been watching the temp gauge I have in my refer and it is 80% of the time about 40 degrees. The red line is set at 40 degrees. Do I need to figure out how (ask here) how to adjust the temp setting - or is 44 degrees about where it should be?

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:46 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Mike
40 degrees F is the safe recommended temperature to slow bacterial growth. Most will say that between 32 degrees F and 40 degrees F is a happy medium where milk will not freeze. It should not be 44 degrees F. If the setting is 44 degrees F and the temp 40 degrees F, you are okay. If you have heavy usage of opening and closing, your temp is going to vary as it will when you add room temperature food to it, but it should come back down to 40 degrees F within a "reasonable" time frame.

One of the refrigerator mech-a-necks on the forum will be post better information, I'm sure.

Edited: #430: to Degrees. when I typed the alt code for the degree symbol it came out ok, but when posted transformed it to #430; - if any one really cares.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:14 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The average setting for keeping foods is 40° so you should be okay.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Mine will hold 38 to 40 deg, unles the wife leaves the door open trying to make the decision on what to get out.
While we are on this question of refrigerators and temps may I add to this with a question? in the refrigerator (bottom) there are cooling fins while I was in there I noticed after owning it for 4 years, a sliding plastic clip on device with a wire conected to it on the last fin, and a decal with a pointer pointing to the sliding piece. is this what regulates the lower section of the refrigerator temp. and which way would I slide it to lower the temp ? up or down.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

Slide it up for colder temp and down for warmer.
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 2 Sinks

Slide it up for colder temp and down for warmer.
Thanks Philip
Old 10-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I meant to say that it seems to be normally 42-44 degrees and not 40. I will have to watch my wife and how she uses the fridge to see if that is the issue. If not, can somebody tell me where to find the control that adjusts the temp. Somebody indicated on the cooling fins?
Old 10-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mike,

The posts right above yours tells you about the adjuster thing.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:28 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
OK I went on the web site and got a picture of the parts for those interested.

http://i38.tinypic.com/slh1f7.jpg

Old 10-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Got it, thanks.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #11
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
ever since we had the "recal fix" ours seemed to be too warm. Paul found a control on the circuit board (on the outside of the 5er) that indicated temperture--he turned that some and now it is cool--about 38 instead of 42
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 AM   #12
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

I had the fix done about three weeks ago...I just went outside and pulled the access cover off as well as the circuit board cover and don't see an adjustable control.Is it on the circuit board under the black cover?

Is the control a trim pot (plastic blue square module) with a small brass screw on the top? Maybe I have a different control board.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 2 Sinks

I had the fix done about three weeks ago...I just went outside and pulled the access cover off as well as the circuit board cover and don't see an adjustable control.Is it on the circuit board under the black cover?

Is the control a trim pot (plastic blue square module) with a small brass screw on the top? Maybe I have a different control board.

Thanks

2sinks go to page 1 and look in my last post I show a exploded view of the refrigerator and arrows showing the Thermister it is on the inside of your frig attached to the cooling fins. caution make sure you mark a starting point for the arrow just in case you forget where it was.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:42 AM   #14
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I placed one of those small battery operated fans inside my refrigerator and it cut down the icing on the fins considerably and the temperature was more consistent throughout the whole refrigerator,the fan runs for about 30 days on two d battery's.Got the fan at cw for about $10-12 dollars.When this fans dies I'll probably buy a better one.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:47 AM   #15
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
The thing that paul turned was in the upper left hand corner of the curcuit board--sort a blue plastic thing. We may have a different circuit board
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:37 AM   #16
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341
Thanks for the reply Trailer Trash 2... the other poster said they had found an adjustment of some kind on the circuit board outside in the access panel behind the frig.

I've already altered the thermistor harness by removing it from the bundled harness on the back of the frig.This allowed the harness to be pulled into the frig about an inch and a half more allowing the thermistor to go even higher on the frig fins or in the warmer area zone.

Three weeks ago after the fix was done I installed a small 12v fan inside the frig on the top shelf and wired it into the existing 12v light wiring harness and also plugged and sealed the hole the factory 12v wiring comes through.The holes about the size of a buffalo nickel and was letting cold air escape.I also installed an on/off slide switch on the fan.Another identical fan was installed under the cooling unit behind the frig in the lower chimney area and I put a slide switch on it & a aux switch by the stove to cut it off inside the 5er if needed.This weekends project is to install a micro switch on the lever which activates the light switch inside the frig to cut the fan off when the door is opened thus keeping more cold air inside...yea I know more switches but if it keeps the temp at a consistent 37 degrees I'll be happy!!!

I've been working on the frig portion ever since the fix was done to obtain a lower consistent temp.I can freeze water solid (26 degrees) on what I call the #4 setting,my goal is to make slush on the #3 setting and then I'll be done I think Ive been on top of trailer several times to check the warm exhaust coming out the chimney cap.I even pulled the cap off to check for any obstructions.

The rear outside chimney fan works well and will pull a sheet of newspaper up to it when the access panel cover is on thus indicating good air flow.I installed switches on both fans to cut them off at night if the noise bothers us...though the noise is extermely low decible.Its much quieter than a residential frig.I bought the fans form Radio Shack and both are good to I think -20 degrees.

Many of these Florida & South Georgia campgrounds are full of night time noises such as owls and other nocternal birds/animals... we don't want to miss any of natures grand sounds.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:07 AM   #17
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

Jpkelpe

Thanks for the reply and verifying the temp control on your card/circuit board.I pulled the covers again and I must have a different board,no temp adjustment Maybe theres a new board in the future if its compatible with my frig electronics.

Installed the last switch in the frig yesterday which is activated by the lever that turns the frig light on/off.I wired it to turn the fan on when the door is closed and cut it off when the door is opened.So far everything is operating fine,the fans pull 0.16amp and will operate on a minimum of 10.2v to 13.8vdc.All are fused through the 15a panel fuse and I made sure it would blow and shut the fans /frig down in case a problem arises.There is also a 3a circuit board fuse to protect the board.

I'm 3 hours into our pretrip frig test...so far so good!!!

We are leaving for the NC mountains Friday afternoon.

Thanks to all who responded...what a great forum this is.