Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bad day at the dealer

Went in for routine maint, grease hubs and adj brakes as I felt that they were out of adjustment. In fact I felt they were not working well or at all..They pulled the two drivers side wheels and hubs and called me over..everything was covered with grease..those grease do nuts had exploded and it was a mess.. I had no brakes..the truck had been stopping the camper by it self for who knows how long..All 4 were blown.. had to get all new brakes, etc,, I am not a happy camper. I have all the old parts and I am at the rally..Keystone will have to explain this.....

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Went in for routine maint, grease hubs and adj brakes as I felt that they were out of adjustment. In fact I felt they were not working well or at all..They pulled the two drivers side wheels and hubs and called me over..everything was covered with grease..those grease do nuts had exploded and it was a mess.. I had no brakes..the truck had been stopping the camper by it self for who knows how long..All 4 were blown.. had to get all new brakes, etc,, I am not a happy camper. I have all the old parts and I am at the rally..Keystone will have to explain this.....
Rich,

Do you not have the maintenance free hubs? Sealed bearings? I know we have the EZ lube, but I was of the impression the Montana's had the maintenance free hubs.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
The EZ hubs are the ONLY way to go. If you don't have them Rich, get them. Just a couple of pumps from the grease gun and your good to good for a long time.
Don't over grease them.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We had the same problem with our 2004 3295. Took it to a dealer not Montana to have brakes replaced and bearings greased. The brakes were not working at all so took it back. They pulled the hubs off and the seals were the wrong ones from Napa. They cleaned everything off. They still are not as good as I think they should be but it takes a little bit of time for the brakes to work in.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:55 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They were whatever came OEM in the 06 3400.Think they are easy lube..they were all blown out.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:46 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HughM

The EZ hubs are the ONLY way to go. If you don't have them Rich, get them. Just a couple of pumps from the grease gun and your good to good for a long time.
Don't over grease them.
I was informed that you should not use "air powered grease guns" on the ez lubs. They put too much pressure on the rear seal and causes the problems identified.
I use a hand held grease gun pumping lightly and rotate the tire at the same time to help the grease come through the rear bearing into the center and then out the front bearing.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:45 AM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ok, JMHO, these EZ lube thingys...which I do have are not meant to replace the obligation of pulling wheels, cleaning, and repacking. I never use that feature for this very reason...it is blind to knowing when your compromising the rear seals ability to contain the grease. Loading grease into the bearing space can actually begin to increase friction and the EZ lube was really intended for use on boat trailers to provide resistance to water infiltration by filling the cavity. There you have it...just my humble opinion, I pull and repack every other year as I'm only a part timer...4 - 5 short trips per year.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:19 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The hubs had never been touched since it left the factory 16 months ago. I leave routine maint up to the pro's which many of you are but I am not.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:06 AM   #9
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I will see what happens to my 04 Mountaineer next month when I take it to the dealer for the first time since I purchased it in 04. I will have all the brakes and bearings checked along with the seals and tires. They are going to inspect all the spring shackles for ware also. I will also have the roof checked as this is not my favorite place to go . Wife usually preforms the roof work. I am doing this for peace of my mind before we leave to winter in TX. One never knows what is going on behind the hubs!
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 05:50 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have already talked to some folks here in Goshen.. That entire assembly comes from Dexter pre assembled and greased. Next stop Dexter.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Keep on them Rich...Looking forward to hearing what Dexter has to say.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Rich,

Just a couple of weeks ago, I took our 5ver in to the dealer to have the brakes adjusted and the bearings repacked. The service department called me later to say that the brakes (pads, drums etc.) would have to be replaced because they were stuffed full of grease. Their question to me was “How have the brakes been working?” My response was that I generally try to drive easy, and had not noticed anything wrong. Ignorance was bliss.

I asked the dealer if they had lubed the axles before delivering the new unit to me, and they said they had not. I never lubed them either.

To make a long story short, I ended up spending ~$1000, to get everything back in shape. At my request, the dealer took pictures to verify the problem.

I do notice some difference in the stopping power, but not that much; maybe the brakes were not adjusted properly to begin with and I just didn’t know the difference and still don’t.

I have been trying to decide how to proceed, so I will be anxious to find out how your ordeal proceeds.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is good to know that the same thing has happened to someone else. My story is the same as yours. I will hunt down the dexter folks next week and have a chat with them...Anyone else have this problem??
Old 09-15-2007, 01:04 PM   #14
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Rich, just had my 3000RK in for servicing Wednesday, and had same problem. They found that the brakes were full of grease. $850 later, I was good to go again. The dealer that replaced my brakes gave me a good write-up. (The only time I had my wheels lubed was at a Monty dealer in Alabama in March.) I had just spent the summer bouncing up and down mountains in Montana, Idaho, and Utah. Sure am glad that the tow haul mode works well, because if I would have had to use the brakes it would have been a real bad situation. Keep us posted.
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #15
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Question about the grease covered brakes. Was the backing plate on the axles showing any grease on them from the outside(next to the axle) Runaway grease, especially with heat, should have oil seeping out gathering dust. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:02 PM   #16
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
A Hand Pump Grease Gun put out 2500-3000 PSI you can easily blow out a rear seal!
Be carefull
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well now..seems like this is not a "isolated incident" I have never had my hubs lubed by anyone..gives me more to work with when I talk to dexter..
Old 09-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #18
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I sounds like they turned Juan loose with a grease gun on the midnight shift.........Not a nice thought!!! It also sounds like there are a lot of MONTANA owners a lot lighter in the wallet, due to factory provided axels that were over greased to start with.. THAT IS SAD.
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Correction... I checked the work order..all four seals were not blown...two were blown and two did not look good but they replaced all four as well as the brakes.My next concern is the greasable shackles. The dealer had ordered them for me but they were the wrong ones and did not fit the Mor-ryde suspension.I could not believe how much sturdier the heavy duty shackles were compared to the OEM ones. I will get a set from Mor Ryde here at the rally. Doing 15K miles plus a year i do not trust the OEM shackles for another 15K miles.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:24 PM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I asked about the proper way to grease the sealed bearings, (Around Once a year) This depends on usage, I found that the small grease guns are to be used, and one pump, one and a half max. will do the trick. It would be very easy to over-do the grease job, as we don't have the X-Ray vision to see inside the assembly. (Source: My dealer's service manager.)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote