Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2008, 03:20 AM   #1
msieger
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7838
My first (well second) oops with the monte

Hey all,
Vacation 08 is going okay for the most part. Nashville was nice. Went the the Opry, toured a few museums, kids even found some ghost's on the ghost tour. Now for the good part. While opening slides kids werer not paying attention and the kitchen slide caught a cabinet door. I yelled before too much damage was done. I think just a cabinet hinge and all will be well with that. That other oops is more expensive. We were sound asleep late one night when all of a sudden we heard a loud crash that shook the entire trailer. We all jumped out of bed. I opened the door and the aft awning support had completely collapsed. Now it was raining, and I did have it tipped. Morning came and I assesed the damage. The support handle you grab to raise or lower the awning have just popped off sending that end crashing into the side of the monte. I guess the sudden change of torque bent the tube in the middle pretty good. We rolled her up best we could and tyed it with wire tire wraps and took off for the smokies. Would be nice to have an awning here, but could be much worse. I'm going to go for the warranty replacement when we get back to STL. We will see what happens.

Cheers,
Mike and Elaine

msieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
WOW! well I have read worst, but it's to bad that you had those problems, now I would think the awning would be covered by your insurance company, I sure hope so that could be costly, the cabinet thats another story.

TT2
Old 07-14-2008, 04:12 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
After one trip to Key West and seen several high dollar MH and 5th wheels with the awning blown over the top. I would never leave the awning out. Some will tie the awnings down, and while in the RGV my neighbor tied his down and it stayed there all winter. Sorry about the damage but it can be fixed. While moving slides in or out is something one has to really watch. Good Luck... GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm not sure if warranty will cover the awning unless you can claim manufacturer defect. Your insurance will cover it - less any deductible. When my awning was damanged by wind while rolling down the road, at my next long stop in Corpus, I called the insurance. Adjuster was there the next day and had my check in 3 days. Once the adjuster is done you can take the awning off and scrap it. They will most likely total the whole awning. At least if you get a claim in aned the adjuster comes out you don't have to run around looking like me - a dumb redneck!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The lesson here, it happend to us too, is to make sure the pin on the awning arms are properly seated. If not they will "rip/strip" or bounce along the arm and not seat in the next hole.
Best of luck on the insurance claim.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
msieger
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7838
Yeah I think it's gonna have to be an insurance thing. Gonna wait till we get home this weekend. Been contemplating a power awning as a replacement. What do you all think?

Mike
Old 07-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Mike & Elaine,
bsmeaton ( Brad & Dory ) have this as a mod for thier 07' 3400RL. Worth checking out. Steve

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/rv...asp?m=01020104 $750 + $225 Install.
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
rgreynolds
Established Member

M.O.C. #8217
Send a message via MSN to rgreynolds
Our 2008 3400RL came with the power awning. Much nicer than the manual ones. Plus, you don't have to contend with the angled arm that you have to walk around all the time.

Bob
rgreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:36 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
While camping with a friend, (WayneM) I commented about the adjustment pin on the awning arms being able to "ratchet" out if not properly seated. It happened on our SOB. When I retracted the awning this time I jiggled the pin to make sure it was seated in the "CLOSED" position ready for transport. I found one of the pins not seating and it ratcheted out. This is a problem when setting up the awning in the wind. If the pin is seated the arm will not extend. However when in the ratchet mode it can and has come apart. I am going to enlarge the hole for the pin when in the transport mode to make sure it seats.
(My description of the ratchet mode is not by design just a function of the pin "floating" and not properly seating in the hole)
Good luck, safe towing.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:03 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
msieger, We are contemplating the Traveler by Carefree, in fact we would have done it a few stops back but I received some wrong information from a local yocal RV dealer. We will add the Traveler when we are somewhere long enough to order and have it installed. Although we stake ours down and add a strap over it and have 3 deflappers on each side, it still bothers me when the wind starts. With the Carefree, you just puch a button and its out and push it again and its in. I'm just not sure if it can be secured like the manual one, or if you even need to secure it since it comes in so easily.

I sure would like to hear from others about the electrics.....

FLSTS3: Where did you get the install price? This local dealer wanted $500.00. Said it was a 5 hour job. I told him I thought the $500.00 was gouging. He said his shop labor rate was $100.00/hour. I laughed AND left....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #11
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We had problems with our awning twice last year. Once was on the day after we arrived in Fl, we were in a hurry and didn't tip the awning. It rained and rained and rained the next day while we were picking up the grandkids. Snapped right in the middle when I tried to dump out the water. Insurance (Foremost) sent us a check three days later minus the deductible. Just before we left Fl this spring, we had another gully washer and for whatever reason, our awning bent in the middle from all of the rain. We were tipped, however; the flap was up over the top of the awning, so we think that was what caused the water to gather. The awning still works, just looks funny when it rolls out. We are thinking about getting the awning supports this winter. Much cheaper than having to get a new awning again.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #12
msieger
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7838
I found a shop here in town who will repair the awning for around 400 bucks. I'm gonna have it repaired for now, and just gonna roll it up when we leave the sight and at night if it looks like rain.

Mike
Old 07-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Mike,

If you weren't so far away, I would hand you my awning arms from our 07 (spare parts after replacement with the Travlr arms). As it is, our friends awning was damaged a month ago in the wind, so I told him he could have our arms and springs.

Incidently, - as long as the wind is minimal, we put our Carefree electric out in the rain so I can cook on the grille. Whenever a little water builds up, the weight pulls down the fabric in the middle, and as the gas shock allows the arm to retract slightly, the water pours off, and the arm springs back out like nothing was wrong. I actually don't think it would be possible to collect water on it. I still retract it when I'm done, no sense pushing my luck.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #14
msieger
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7838
Thanks Brad,
Thats a great offer. Now if can find someone to take these crappy missions off my hand, I would be happy.

Mike