Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #21
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I do not lubricate the legs of the landing gear. My personal opinion is that lubrication will pick up and retain road grime and cause more harm than good. I do make sure that they are clean and operate freely.

Good luck

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:01 PM   #22
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Wayne,
I am talking about the screw gear that raises and lowers the leg and check for binding on the sleeve area.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:16 AM   #23
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Loose connections in electrical loads, will increase amperage draw. Also wires that are too small for the amperage draw the load pulls. If all wiring is factory, I would check to see that there are no loose wires. The connection inside the motor could be bad, causing the problem. If you could connect an
amp-meter to the power wire, you could see if there are any increased amperage draw under different leg extensions.
Drop her by the house and we will check it out.
Good luck.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:58 AM   #24
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Sounds good Ozz,I am send her by FedEx Ground. LOL!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #25
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It is recommended that when having to run the legs out for extended period you should stop a while and let the motor cool. After we blew our first and only fuse seven years ago we began that process of only running the motor for short periods. Dealer says that's a good idea.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:02 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good call, Orv.
You know the good thing about our remote control Zaxis, is that it 'times out' every few seconds, and you have to push the button again.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #27
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
After reading all the posts about the blown fuses and the landing gear as I was moving the coach for a better location I raised the gear all the way up and of course the fuse blew. I did the normal thing of checking for everything from the rear tail light to the brake wiring before I remembered to look for the 30 amp micro fuse in the tangle of wires in the front compartment.

and of course it was blown and not a 30 amp micro fuse anywhere. I had several standard fuses and low and behold I was able to use one in the holder and off we went. Gotta mark that gear to keep it from happening again, Embarrassing when showing off new romote control ssytem to father in law.

Doug
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #28
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
But Honey, it gave Dad and you something to "do" with the new "toy"...a male bonding thing! Plus it gave you an opportunity to tell him about this awesome forum. (Oops did I post this?! )

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:27 AM   #29
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
Did you find an answer? We just blew the fuse on ours. DH bypassed the fuse and was able to raise them and then lower them at our new location. He figured he could do it that way until we get home and can solder the fuse in place.
osofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #30
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
OK, i read evrything and curious question comes to mind. Maybe John would know this answer best. How far will the landing gear extend down?? Since i believe john rebuilt his and has been inside the workings, maybe he might know.
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #31
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Sorry, I did not experiment with it. Maybe the company can answer that question.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #32
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
Osofine

I did not try again to raise it all the way but I did go and buy a bunch of fuses and a 30 amp thermal CKT breaker and will put it the circuit when I go to the coach again next week.

I will try again next time but only so I can mark the struts to keep it from happening again.
Doug
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #33
ppreis

M.O.C. #7132
I have a 2007 Big Sky. My fuses were blowing too. The camp site was so unlevel that I had to make the front as low as possible. It seemed that the pressure on the landing gear had put it at an awkward angle binding the leg. I cranked it up by hand about 1/2 way (not an easy task) until I could feel it begin to get easy to crank. I put a new fuse in and up she came. I've had no trouble since. Perhaps your landing gear is bent from trying to go with it lowered or something else. My motor has lots of play in it too. When I extend the feet it moves counter clockwise and clockwise when I retract the legs. Hope this helps.
ppreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #34
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
OKay, I give up. I can not find the fuse for the landing gear. We went to the storage lot to take ours out and of course no power for the landing gear. Battery was swapped with a borrowed one from another owner and still no power so we figure by reading this thread it had to be the fuse...but where the heck is it??
fernsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #35
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
fernsco, Its a blade type fuse in a holder on one of the red wires that goes up to the landing pad motor. In some units its a 30 amp mini blade fuse, nd in some its either a 30 amp or 40 amp regular blade fuse. You need to look at the fuse holder it will tell you what size (30 or 40) then open the holder and pull the fuse out to see if its a mini or regular size.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #36
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Thanks Rogue. I'll follow the red wires come daylight and look for anything resembling a fuse holder. I learned one thing tonight...the owners manual is USELESS. I could not even find how to manually crank the landing gear in the book. If it wasn't for the information learned on this website I would have gone crazy. Too many little things going wrong for a new rig that I have only had out 6 times yet everytime out is a new adventure in maintenance be it replacing the cheap GFI units (fixed), low water pressure (fixed), and now this. Guess my Mission tires are next! Once again, thanks for the quick reply.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #37
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
fernsco

We went through through the landing gear fuse issue on our first outing. On our 3400RL the in-line fuse was in behind the battery in the front garage. It was in a plastic holder that had to be pried apart with a knife. Once the fuse was replaced we haven't had the problem re-occur. The Montana manual we received with our unit was totally useless in helping solve the problem. In fact generally the manual is totally useless and is an insult to an owner who has just shelled out a significant amount of money for an RV. I've seen better manuals for $300 devices.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #38
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
We ended up swinging by the dealer and the technician showed me where the fuse was and replaced it. All was well. Then we hit the road, arrived in Hershey and went to use the landing gear.....and again it was dead. Quite frustrating and not sure why it blew in transit.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #39
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
I'd say you may either have a short in the wiring that may be shorting with vibration, or there may be a short in the motor. Either way I assume your unit is under warranty, I'd call the dealer and let them know the problem, and get the Ok to have it fixed on the road at another dealer. Sorry I could not be of more help.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #40
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Replace it with a plug in, blade type, circuit breaker.

Of course, you do want to find out why it is blowing fuses, but at least the circuit breaker will reset after 10-15 seconds.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote