Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
Good Sam Insurance - My recent saga

Just thought I would pass along some recent dealings with my RV insurance carrier, Good Sam. I received my yearly billing, $570, and it had increased by $80. Why, because my credit score was decreased. The reason - my relatively short length of credit history, reported by Transunion. WOW!!! Absolute BS!!! My history goes back to the early 70’s and has been perfect. Today everything is paid for including properties, vehicles, and we pay our four active credit cards off each month. We may not carry a balance, but we have have a long history.

I called National General Insurance (Good Sam) and received a new quote over the phone, $367. I said put it in writing (e-mail) so I can review and compare limits and costs. Quote came, $390. A second quote came, $470. Third quote came minutes later, $470. I called agent, what’s going on? He said the deductibles had changed and thats why the costs are now $470. Huh! What happened to the $367. I said match my original deductibles as I asked and give me a breakdown so I can compare. Fourth quote came, $470, and still no breakdown for comparison on any quote so I have no clue what I would be buying. On the same day I received a quote directly from Good Sam for $490, again no info attached.

Weekend goes by and today I received a bill in the mail from Good Sam for $570 with changes to my deductables. But, here’s the best part. A second letter also came stating that they had tried to charge my credit card I used last year, but it was denied. They stated I was on an automatic payment plan. I had always paid my insurance in full so there was no plan or payment authorization. Very scary!

My summary - Good Sam/National General Insurance is out of control and can no longer be trusted. The credit score upcharge could possibly be a scam. Their agents are nothing short of being insurance hustlers changing costs, coverage numbers and putting pressure on to make you accept their quotes immediately and never check the fine print. I can only imagine if I had an accident and actually needed to deal with them.

Incidentally, I was finally able to pull a credit report from Experian, and we are golden. Don’t know what is on Transunions report to confirm any info.
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote