Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Dodge Recall Part 2

Got an appointment to have the recall fixed and the dealer ordered the parts. Dealer called back this morning to tell me that Dodge has allocated them just one set of parts per week and so it might be several months before they get parts for mine in (they didn't say it but I didn't buy from them and if I was them I'd take care of my local customers first also). The service manager said that there was little they could do, but that I should let Dodge know how happy this made me and maybe they would get a reasonable availability on parts. So here's the email I sent to Dodge who promises someone will get back to me in one day:

we are full-time RVer's and tow a large 5th wheel around the country. In addition we currently volunteer for a Federal agency working in the desert of Arizona. Since we will be towing our 5th wheel a couple hundred miles next week, I called the Yuma dodge dealer right away to get our truck fixed. I was told that even though we drive jeep trails through the desert and haul a heavy 5th wheel it would be several months to get the truck fixed since Dodge was only letting them order one set of parts per week. Since we only use the truck under unusual conditions I have faxed a copy of the recall and explained the lack of responsive repair to our attorney. Should the worst happen at least our kids will have a bigger inheritance than they expected.

It will be interesting to see what they have to say, assuming I hear anything.
I would also encourage anyone else in this boat who receives the same load of crap answer to let Dodge know how happy you are also.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I'll add some fuel to the fire, though not directly at Dodge but Chrysler. My water pump went out in my 2012 Grand Cherokee on Monday. Guess what it's back ordered, no ETA. My co-worker had his 2012 Grand Cherokee at the dealer for 5 months waiting for a new water pump that was back ordered at that time. Yes, 5 months at the dealer for a $200 part on a $40k+ vehicle. I've been a loyal Chrysler customer for years, a couple jeeps and a few dodges. Well, my next truck will not be a Chrysler product. I've never had a vehicle out of service for as long as I have with my Grand Cherokee (three weeks last year, same thing parts back ordered). Hate to think what would happen If my tow vehicle were dead for several weeks or months because they can't figure out how to put customers first...

I will be sending a letter off to Chrysler corp as well.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Love it Dick, my Dodge dealer told me to call back at the end of the month to see if they got any parts in?????
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The interesting thing is that Dodge is now going to be totally owned by Fiat. In the old days getting parts for a Fiat was like finding the fountain of youth. If this proves to be normal the two Dodges we currently own will be our last.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
My experience with my dealer on this recall mirrored Dick's. I'll be sending a letter to Chrysler tomorrow. Jim
Old 01-09-2014, 04:16 AM   #6
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
See, that's why I said in the first post, I'm just going to order the part made by Moog which is top quality for $35. and do it my self and then get the wheels alignment. To me, the money spent is peace of mind and not dealing with the corporate circus.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:17 AM   #7
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
My suspicion is that Chrysler was dragged into this recall kicking and screaming, not convinced that the recall is really necessary. So we can expect to be serviced by an unwilling participant. If they wait long enough the problem might go away.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You may be correct. I got an email back today saying that they wanted to make sure we were the original purchaser since our mail forwarding address was different than our home base address. Why should that make a difference on something as critical as this???
Old 01-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #9
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Dick, I received the recall notice from MOPAR, I bought my truck 2nd hand. I don't think on safety recall it makes any difference
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
My point exactly. Since they asked for more info late on a friday they can stall well into next week. Do I sound a little untrusting?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Repeat on our recall also, except we have to take the recall slip to them and then we go on the list? Hmmmmm.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Surprise, I actually did get a prompt reply. No surprise, the answer is crap. No other dealer in Yuma and with them only alotting one set of parts per week, just who do they thing would have extra parts for me anyway.

Dear Richard:

Thank you for verifying ownership. I have updated our database to
reflect you as the original owner.

I understand this recall is time sensitive and I wish I could lift the
restriction on the part that is needed to complete the N49 recall.
Unfortunately, that is beyond my control. What I can do is contact
neighboring dealerships in your area to see who has the shortest wait
list.

I appreciate your patience and understanding as I look into your
concern. I will be in contact with you soon.

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Crystal

Customer Service Representative
Ram Customer Assistance Center
Old 01-11-2014, 01:07 AM   #13
mobilcastle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11759
What a bunch of BS. These trucks today from the big 3 cost a fortune-twice as much as my first house.Dodge better wake up and take care of their loyal customers or it will cost them big time in the near future.I drive a Chey 3500 dually,but I considered a Dodge. Chevy has had problems with DEF.Good luck to all of you.
mobilcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:46 AM   #14
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Just got a call from my dealer, they said the parts are on backorder, they don't know when they will have them.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #15
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Is this right? Are all 2008 thru 2012 Dodge trucks 1/2 3/4 and 1 ton trucks on the recall? That would amount to thousands of trucks. At the rate of one truck a week for the dealers it would take years to do.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #16
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Bummer for you Dodge Ram owners. Glad I didn't find that Ram when I got my F350 in 2012. I was also hunting for a Freightliner at the time, but they were hard to find that I could afford. Best of luck to all of you. John
Old 01-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #17
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Don't worry, Ford will think of something to be competitive
Old 01-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #18
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Although I had not received any notification of the recall I decided to visit my local Dodge dealer this afternoon and check to see if I was indeed on the recall.

Well yes I am and should receive a letter sometime this month. I enquire as to what exactly is being replaced and am told it is the both the left and right tie rods. No they do not have any parts to repair any vehicles involved in the recall and have no idea when they might receive them, expecting to get them on a one or two at a time bases, perhaps a shipment each week, so the repairs are spread around all the dealers.

When I ask how concerned I should be about the possibility of failure I am told they know of several that have failed but have happened during slow moving maneuvers. What about maneuvering with a 39 ft 5th wheel behind I asked, to which I am told they don't know when or why it happens. My information is recorded and I am put on the list with the rest of the people waiting for the parts.

Upon leaving the dealership I went to a long established front end alignment shop that I have had work done at in the past. The owner spent time on the phone and was only able to find aftermarket availability on one of the two tie rods, nothing from Moog, nothing from Spicer and another brand I cannot remember. The owner made a call to the Moog hot line but due to time differences they were closed for the day.

It appears the right hand tie rod is fairly readily available, the left one which is the largest and most expensive was not available from any supplier.

I will stop in the repair shop tomorrow morning after he has talked to the hot line and see what he has discovered.

I am wondering if anyone has had any success in finding the left hand tie rod assembly.

We are about to embark on a 3000 mile trip, I do not have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the possibility of a breakdown 2000 miles from home and no parts available in North America.

I love my Dodge and have been involved in recalls before with Ford but have never encountered what is now happening with Chrysler. It is outrageous and dangerous.

If I get my recall notice before leaving for Arizona I will most definitely be contacting Chrysler and I will not have kind works to say.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #19
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I can tell you for a fact that there are no expectations of getting the parts to fix it in Yuma any time soon, so your local dealer is your only chance.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #20
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Ed,
I'll let you in on a secret, I used to hot rod Camaro's. I did most of my parts ordering from Summit Racing. They have the Moog tie rod ends for both sides in stock, and the best part is they have grease fittings where the factory ones do not. They will ship from Ohio, so Canada is not to far. Here are the part numbers and price:

2012 RAM 3500 Moog Problem Solver left side Tie Rod Ends ES800532 $35.

2012 RAM 3500 Moog Problem Solver right side Tie Rod Ends ES800558 $32.

If you hurry they will still ship today!

Good luck,
Scott