Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
iconmae
Established Member

M.O.C. #9736
Routing of TV cable

How can I find how the cable runs through our RV?

I plugged a working VCR in the cable jack outside (the antenna booster was off)and the bedroom TV had a very fuzzy picture. The LRoom TV was worse.

I printed the diagram of the cable wiring and I'm trying to be sure if I read it correctly but it looks as though the cable goes to the bedroom first. Is this right? If it is then that section from the outside jack to the bedroom is bad. I am checking connections.

The question is, how do I get to that cable to replace it without tearing up something?

How would we bypass the jack and still get cable to both TV's?

Thanks!
Connie

iconmae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
milkman
Established Member

M.O.C. #8771
Seems like a common problem. I had the same problem and was told that I need to do some disconnecting and reconnecting behind the television. Haven't tried it yet. Doesn't sound right, but will work on it when I find time.
Verlyn
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
iam not sure if anyone of us really know how they run that cable, i think only the man at the factory can say how its really run, because there lots of us that seam to have problems trying to get everthing working right ,hope you can find out your answer.........
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The outside connector is for the incoming cable signal (or satellite, but that requires more work and we'll talk about Cable for now). Connect the coax cable from the "campground" cable wire (or your house) into the external coax connector on the side of the Monty (usually near your entertainment center) to enable the television to receive the cable signal. Then you must also set up the televisions to recognize the incoming cable signal by selecting the TV/Video mode button on the remote or selecting channel 3 or 4 if in TV mode. You must also make sure the booster button is OFF to disable the overhead antenna for the Monty.

Using a satellite receiver requires the connecting/disconnecting. If you need help with that let me know if you need explanation.

There is a schematic going around this forum that shows the typical trailer cable/satellite/airwave cabling. If I find it I will post it, or maybe some other member can beat me to the punch since I am slow at finding and knowing how to post such things. But if you are new to this it might need further explanation, but just ask for help.

Good luck with this.

On edit: I hope this link works. It is the forum topic where DONnANNIE posted the schematic.... scan down a few posts to find it:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...erms=schematic

If you have questions please ask the MOC and we'll try and help.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
iconmae
Established Member

M.O.C. #9736
Thanks everyone for taking the time to post a tip. I had searched all topics previously and had printed the wiring diagram but it does not show if the cable runs along the roof, floor or sides.

My jumper (short) cable is behind the Livingroom TV and both terminals are connected. The schematic would suggest that the bottom of the short cable is directed to the bedroom when in fact the TOP TERMINAL on ours goes to the bedroom and I did test that run and it is fine. I will keep trying and if I find it I will post it here. Thanks again!
Old 11-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
The easiest way I have found to find the routing of the cable wires is to disconnect them all and use an ohm meter. Short one end out and check for continuity on all the other ends. When you find the end put colored tape at each end (different color for each wire)and go to the next wire. When this is done you will have a real good idea how your rig is wired. Good luck.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
iconmae... I think understand your question now. You aren't interested in the schematic or diagram that shows how things are inter-connected, you are looking for the "assembly diagram" for how the wiring is routed within the rig. I have not seen one but don't have any contacts who could provide this. And if you are able to find one, I'd certainly be interested. Unfortunately, I think floor plans and even model years might make a difference. Plus the fact that the assemblers may take liberties on wire runs and may not always use the same route.

Please keep us posted.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
OK I found this It was posted a long time ago and I dont remember who either but it is for a monty.
I hope it helps.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
iconmae
Established Member

M.O.C. #9736
problem solved - the ends were loose from the connections. I tightened them all and several were definitely loose.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Maybe I am dreaming, But, I thought at the factory tour, all the TV cable lines run through the roof. Maybe just a dream. Loose connestions on these cable ends seem to be an every day occurance from the factory. Should be the first thing to check. Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
iconmae
Established Member

M.O.C. #9736
It does look as if the park cable connector has cable heading up to the roof. I think this because I took the panel cover off the back of where the refrigerator blows outside and could see the cable but the insulation is hard foam and I couldn't tear it up.

To tighten the connectors, I took the cover plates off and just twisted them on tighter.