Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
Zeuschner

M.O.C. #22030
To surge protector or not

Bought a 2000 Montana and heard that we should add a surge protector to protect our electronics..looking on line they are expensive and even more pricey when they have a waterproof cover. My question, is it worth the commitment? And, cover or no.

Zeuschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
Yes it is worth it with all the high end electronics. They are expensive but I imagine you spent a lot of money on your rig. I have the older version of the progressive 50 amp without a cover but if it would have had one I would have taken it. Keeps the water out. SO YES its good insurance.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Zeuschner,

First, welcome to the forum. Its a great place to learn and share.

Would definitely recommend a surge protector or even better an EMS. They are very inexpensive compared to the variety of problems you can run into without protection. The cover is not a big deal - I have one but don't use it. I spite of my recommendation to buy protection, I must admit I have yet to run into a power pedestal after 8 years where it saved me.

If you buy an external unit you can keep it and move it to a future rig.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
Zeuschner

M.O.C. #22030
Thanks Mike...greatly appreciated
Zeuschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have had a Progressive 50am portable EMS for 7 years of full timing until it crapped out. Then Progressive replaced it free of charge so it was expensive but well worth the money. It saved our electronics many times we are aware of when the power dropped below necessary. It also warned us of miss wired pedestals on three occasions.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Most of us are referring to the progressive electrical management system (EMS) they are a bit expensive but check out the prices of the equipment that a surge or incorrect voltage can do to your rig.

The EMS has saved us many times since 2006 the latest on our way home from Florida in April were it showed low voltage leg one on the pedestal check. The EMS has also knocked our Montana off line do to a fault while at a campground and at our Florida lot.. They did not have the cover option when we purchased in 2006 but I would get the cover option if buying now. We cover our older unit with a plastic bag and have not had a issue of any kind since 2006.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:50 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
When we lost a ground prong on the shore cable last year, a portable unit would not have protected us. The hardwired unit would not send power to the rig due to lost ground. It took a while to find the problem, as the prong was still in the molded plug, but broken internally. Very glad I went with the hardwired unit, and I like the remote display too.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:20 PM   #8
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
When we lost a ground prong on the shore cable last year, a portable unit would not have protected us. The hardwired unit would not send power to the rig due to lost ground. It took a while to find the problem, as the prong was still in the molded plug, but broken internally. Very glad I went with the hardwired unit, and I like the remote display too.
You have had the perfect example of why you need the hardwire version. The hardwire is the only way to protect from an faulty shore cable. If you use filters because you don't trust other people's water then why would anyone trust other people's electricity. Surge protection is just plain good insurance.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You do need a EMS. I prefer the portable one but to each his own.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
On one of the first campouts with the Mountaineer, I inserted the key to the front storage area and received a good poke. Turned out the electrical supply had an open ground. I didn't have an EMS system but did have a multimeter and found the issue. I've had an EMS system since.

My brother on the other hand didn't. Last year he pulled his motor home into a repair shop. The manager told him he could spend the night and hook up to their 30 amp receptacle. When he plugged in the converter began to smoke and he lost most of his electrical and electronic appliances. Turned out the receptacle was wired for 240 volts AC for welding. The insurance didn't cover much and he is still chasing the repair shop for the balance.

FYI. I have run into two issues in the past four years since.
Nuff said.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #11
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
There is easily 8 to 10 thousand dollars worth of electronics, not including the labor charges to replace them, in a modern Montana. One of the most damaging things to electronics is low voltage. The damage low voltage causes is cumulative and only manifests itself over time. With an EMS when the voltage gets too low it will simply shut off the flow until the safe voltage returns. One thing to remember however, is that if you are gone and running a device that will not automatically turn back on when the current flows again than you may return to an uncooked dinner or a lost recording opportunity. It seems to me that on most of our trips, we have returned to the trailer and found a previous error on the remote readout although the AC will have kicked back on.
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:59 PM   #12
Ford350man
Established Member

M.O.C. #21220
I wouldn’t leave home without mine. I bought a Surgeguard 34850 50 amp when we bought our Monty. The 34950 is on sale now at CW for GS members. Normally $330 for $230. Worth every penny. I plug mine in on arrival to run diagnostics on the CG pedestal while I am rigging the cable on the trailer. It has a 128 sec delay before turning power on IF the diagnostic is ok. Several times it has warned of reverse polarity and low boltage. If so, it will protect trailer and not turn power on. I can then request a different site. Mine is weatherproof to rain and snow. I can see voltage and amp usage on Line 1 and Line 2. Lifetime warranted. Get this one or one the other forum members are suggesting. You won’t regret this purchase.
Ford350man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #13
bowmanti

M.O.C. #17690
I was thinking about buying one, but hesitated too long. Not sure what happen, but it burnt the Mother board in my fridge. That cost me $325 for a new board that I replaced myself. I now have a monitoring protector and plug in without the fear of another big repair bill.
bowmanti is offline   Reply With Quote