Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2006, 03:01 PM   #21
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We stayed in Estees park at the KOA Drove into RMNP. Don't know anything about Boyd Lake SP. Sorry

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #22
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
Helen, the Blog is so much fun to read - Thanks for doing that - through your pictures and text, those of us who can't get up there (to Alaska), just yet are thoroughly enjoying your trip.

And King was the dog's name (and wasn't the Sargeant ever so dashing?????????) I remember a few other shows from that era, but won't go there - ha ha...

God Speed, safe travel - will be interested to know the total fuel bill - or not......amazing that we have to endure to begin with...

See you on the highways

Chaser,
Mike & Evy Orlob
Central Oregon
3400RL - 2006
Dodge Ram 3500-2004

Happy Trails
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:29 PM   #23
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks, I am having a ball doing it. It is really fun to take pictures of people and then ask them if it is o.k. to put it on the internet. They just love it and of course I give them our card. It has our website, the MOC website, and Escapees. Fun

Helen
Old 06-08-2006, 02:09 AM   #24
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
We toured R.M.N.P. yesterday, awesome park. The scenery is as good as it gets. The drive up to Estes is also beautiful.

We should have stayed up in Estes but was unsure of the pull up the mountain, it would not have been that bad. We are in Boyd Lake, Col. State Park, they quote a rate of $17 a night, but they fail to tell you of a $6 per day charge to get into the park. The campground is too small for a 3670RL, I wish we had stayed somewhere else, but we are leaving tomorrow. I guess you learn by experience.
Right now I wish I had a smaller unit, I would have stayed in the N.P. for a couple of nights, the temps. are a lot cooler.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:05 PM   #25
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Wow, did we have a fantastic day today. It will take me quite awhile to put it on my blog but don't miss it. From the Yukon to British Columbia, to Alaska and back. I took 240 pictures. Hope the internet has some speed tonight.

Helen
Old 06-10-2006, 02:02 PM   #26
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We are stranded in Whitehorse, YT waiting for our mail to catch up with us. Can't think of a nicer place to be stranded. 80 degrees today with a nice breeze to keep the mosquitoes away.

Helen
Old 06-11-2006, 04:44 AM   #27
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Saw that you are headed to Dawson City. That'll, be quite a contrast to Whitehorse...one paved street and miles of rock piles from mining days. Cute place. If you're thinking of going over to Chicken from there (Top of the World Hwy) be real careful and slow going down! We did not do it and most we talked to said they wouldn't do it again. Going up in YT is OK but the gravel road in AK going down is steep, rough, and narrow. Heard Chicken is a hoot, however.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:17 AM   #28
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks Chris. We can't wait to get to Dawson City. I have read so much about it. And yes we will be going to Chicken from there on our way to Fairbanks. We just gotta do it. We are still unsure of the Dempster highway. Right now it is looking very iffy after seeing pictures on another forum of someone that just got back. I will say though that one picture of them dipping their toes in the Artic Ocean might make it all worth while.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:12 AM   #29
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Just spent an hour on your website/blog! Very nice. Brought back a lot of memories for us. Didn't see any mention of the canyon boat ride? That was interesting and fun to do. We stayed at Bonanza Gold at Dawson City and had good wifi there. Nice folks, too. Re. the arctic, you can fly up there from Fairbanks. Know several folks that did that. Do the Eldorado Mine tour and riverboat ride. Both are informative and fun. Both are run by the same family. Stayed at Riverview CG in North Pole. Pumphouse Restaurant on the Chena River is very good w/great view.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:24 AM   #30
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks Chris.... I Will mark that in my book. Sounds interesting.

We might do the boat ride today in the canyon.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:05 PM   #31
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We're here. We made it to Dawson City. We are 200 miles from the Artic Circle. Talk about being "Up North". Dawson hasn't changed since the 1898 except for the fact that we have full hook-ups and Wi-Fi. We're going out to check the town. More later.

Helen
Old 06-15-2006, 02:40 AM   #32
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I am going into Banff today, plugging along. One problem with the HW heater, got it fixed. Wireless service for computer is very scarce. We are in Canmore now, found it in town. Looking forward to getting on the Alaskan Hwy. Scenery has been unbelivable.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:52 PM   #33
Mels Musty Music
Established Member

M.O.C. #1044
Am enjoying reading about everyones experiences in the Yukon and Alaska. We are nearing the end of a weeklong stay at Dawson Peaks RV park in the Yukon - between Watson Lake and Whitehorse on the Alaska Highway. If you are along that route stop by if only for a piece of Carolyns homemade rhubard pie and a cup of coffee.You won't meet two nicer people than Carolyn and Dave and the scenery is excellent with a view of Dawson Peaks overlooking Morley Bay (Teslin Lake) right from the cafe.
If you do want to spend the night arrive fairly early as the campground is small and is usually full by 4:30-5:00. Free WiFi too.
Caught 2 northern pike this morning - one right from their dock. Biggest was six pounds.
Mels Musty Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:51 AM   #34
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
You are so right Mels Musty Music. That is our very favorite campground. We just stopped in there for lunch a few weeks ago and didn't leave. I wrote all about it in our journal. At that time, there were only two of us there. They had just opened the restaurant for the season. Isn't the pie the greatest. Dave and Caroline are just the best. If it hadn't started to rain, we might never have left for Whitehorse.

Helen
Old 06-16-2006, 04:58 PM   #35
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
We are in Hinton, KOA near Hwy. 40. We will start toward Dawson Creek in the morning. Look out Alaska, we are on our way.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:07 AM   #36
Montana_5701
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5701
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

We spent our first day on the Alaska Highway today. We left Dawson Creek and Mile Post 0 at 8:00 this morning. We are spending the next three days in Fort Nelson. Outside of deer the only animals we saw today was a man walking his dog.

Tomorrow we will check out the Northwest territory. That will really fill in a big space on our map. Later

Helen
We just got back from a cruise in Alaska and loved it. Did y'all have any problems locating fuel stops ??
Montana_5701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:12 AM   #37
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We can speak for the travelers going up this year, but we didn't have any trouble in 2006. We made sure that we didn't let the tank get below half full. The gas stations are located at all the right spots.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:41 AM   #38
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have never had any trouble finding diesel but some places really take advantage of you if you are between bigger cities. We filled up in Fairbanks at $2.89 a gallon but about 100 miles away we had to pay $3.44 a gallon. There should be a law against that but what's a person to do? You either pay it or stay home.

Helen
Old 06-30-2006, 05:57 AM   #39
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, $2.89 in Fairbanks is cheaper than here in Illinois ($2.92 and up)
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:24 AM   #40
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
We filled up 2 days ago in Dawson Creek at Extra Foods, a super market with a gas station attached. Their price for diesel was 93.9/liter, the best by far I've seen in Canada, plus they gave us a .07 cents/liter credit for food in the grocery store. If my calculations are correct (dubious), that translates to US 2.96/gallon.
We left there full (151 gallons), and I think that will last me to Alaska.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote