Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2007, 04:07 AM   #1
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Shake-Down Cruise

We picked up our new Monty 5er (3600RE) a week ago today and spent last weekend in a local RV park on a shake down cruise.

First and foremost DW and I are thrilled with her and she is the dominant theme of conversation between us.

The 24-foot TT we had was a quasi ultra-lite 7-½ foot wide with a small slide across from the dinette. To say the toilet/shower compartment was cozy is an understatement. Every nook and cranny was used to stow groceries, plates, cooking utensils, and clothing. Patio furniture, pads, BBQ, and service hoses had to be stored in the bed of our TV. The small holding tanks restricted our boon docking. Any more than 2 adults in the TT was truly a crowd.

In comparison, our Monty has a spacious interior with great amenities. When opened we were able to comfortably host 2 other couples in the dinning/living area and still had plenty of room for our 2 pooches. We are able to sense motion while sitting in the recliners. I don’t know if it originates from the rocker feature on the recliner or if the rear end needs to be better stabilized. DW likes to reposition the recliners when parked so they face the fireplace and entertainment center. They are heavy and awkward for her to move. She thinks a Euro style chair with ottoman would be better choice. We did not use the gas furnace and relied on the fireplace heater for heat. It generated ample heat and we were too toasty our first night at sleep. The only living room furniture that malfunctioned was the DVD player and the dealer replaced it outright this past Monday.

The kitchen layout is also super. Lots of room to work and still be able to look at one another or at guests. The range’s auto-igniting mechanism is a nice upgrade from what we have been use to. There is ample room to store utensils, dishes, pots and pans, groceries, etc. The large and conveniently located trashcan is also a great feature. We also liked the microwave/convection/half-time oven combination. We learned the first morning that half time means half time. It didn’t take long to turn our Pillsbury cinnamon rolls into hockey pucks. Water pressure in the kitchen was poor (with and without an external water filter installed). Although not fully used, we appreciate the large refrigerator and freezer. The added space will be useful on our long trips.

The king size bed in the bedroom is actually comfortable and good to sleep on. DW does thinks it is a bit too firm and is considering getting a topper for it. Unlike our former TT, when either of us gets up at night in the Monty the other doesn’t feel any motion or hear any noise. Specifically, no motion from walking (and I’m a heavy walker) or from getting into or out of bed, or from tossing and turning in bed (I toss and turn all night). We have a Tempur Pedic in the stick house so we know what lack of motion in bed is like. The bedroom TV is another great feature. On Sunday, DW was able to watch her programs in the bedroom while I watched football on the big TV. The bedroom seemed very stable and we did not feel any sway.

The Monty’s porcelain toilet is so much better than the one in the TT. Much easier to keep clean and its larger size is a plus. The plumbing and flushing mechanism are also much better. Whenever we flushed the TT’s toilet it was noisy and the sound resonated through the TT. That noise was exacerbated when not on city water system. In comparison, when on city water, the Monty’s toilet is quiet when flushed.

I actually used the shower in the Monty (I would only use the one in the TT as a last resort---it was too small and I didn’t like how the floor felt. I always thought it was on the verge of collapsing.) I’m 6’00” and weigh 200 lbs, but had room enough in the shower. We intentionally did not take camper showers. We wanted to gauge the capacity and reheating ability of the water heater and capacity of the bathroom gray water tank, so let the water run through whenever showering. It took a minute to adjust the water temp, but we never ran out of hot water and with 3 full days of use only filled the gray tank to 2/3rd’s capacity. Shaving and brushing my teeth in the Monty were much more comfortable than in the TT. The Monty’s bathroom sink is larger and sticks out from the wall a bit more than in the TT. We both like the more spacious medicine cabinet and under sink storage cabinet. Water pressure in the shower, sink, and toilet was good.

DW also liked the central vacuum. The tinted windows are great. We did experience difficulty raising the day/night shade next to the dinning room table. Don’t know if it is “off track” or what, but it is a PITA to work.

I truly appreciated the extra storage space in the basement. Everything is more at my fingertips. The docking station or convenience center is also a great feature. It centrally locates all the service equipment, making set-up and breakdown a little easier. I purchased a Sewer Solution and discovered it takes longer to clean the gray and black holding tanks. In respect to the Sewer Solution, I had to make a trip to the local hardware store to buy a 20’ length of ¾” hose to extend the initial 10 feet of hose that comes with the unit. I have only used it once, but am satisfied with how it works and, in comparison to standard sewer hoses, the ease of storing the hose. I really like the black tank flush feature.

I installed the 2 Max Vents salvaged from my TT and was really impressed with the sturdy, firm feel of the Monty’s roof when walking on it. The ladder also held my weight well.

Although I knew a 2nd A/C would require 50 Amp service, we only have one A/C and thought the power cord that came with the Monty would have been 30 Amp. This only meant I couldn’t plug the Monty into my generator while loading it. Bought a 50 to 30 amp pigtail Monday and solved that problem. The dealer used and supplied a laundry basket to story the power cord. Very effective. I bought a second basket to store my freshwater hoses in. Takes up less space than what I was using.

Now a word or two about hauling, hooking up, and unhitching the Monty. DW does 90% of the driving and was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to handle the rig. We have a short bed with a PullRite Superglide and 5th Airborne hitch setup. Turning radius and maneuverability is exceptional. We stayed at the Mayport Naval Station’s RV park and had to maneuver through a serpentine series of barriers at the Base’s front gate. (A weekend thing at the base.) She thought the rig was too big to make it through it, but had to take it slow and to both our surprise it was a piece of cake. We are experiencing more chucking when braking than expected. I quickly overcame my anxiety the rig would drop when hitching or unhitching it. In comparison to our TT, hitching and un-hitching is much easier, less labor intensive, and cleaner. No more need to stop by the bathhouse on the way out to shower. We do need to practice backing.

Our first outing was fantastic! Our next trip is planned for 12/26 to 01/02. We are going to drive over to the Tampa Bay area to spend New Year with friends. These are all warm-up trips to prepare for our planned 90 day cross-country trip beginning April 1st.

Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:24 AM   #2
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Love it when a plan comes together. Enjoy the new rig for all its worth. Due to a medical emergency, ours is sitting out there with ice hanging off of it instead of being towed to Texas. Hopefully, that will happen in Jan. or early Feb. If yours is equipped with a ceiling fan, re-tighten the little screws that hold the light globe in place. Ours vibrated loose on the second trip. We didn't loose the globe because it caused an irritating rattle and we found it in time. After a couple of short trips it is good to check the tightness of everything you can reach. You have a nice plan laid out, go live it! Bob & Karen
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:26 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ya said it all, cept

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:28 AM   #4
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Hello there and congrats on youre new rig! I just bought a 08 3000RK and was wondering if you could explain how youre stove wokrs "auto egnition system", my spec sheet says that it has it but it looks just like the stove in my TT I used to have where you turn the clicker to light the burners. So is this auto igniter for the burners or the oven? I asked the dealer about this and he also called the factory rep and I have the correct stove but don't understand the feature.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:35 AM   #5
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Sounds like a good shake down. Glad it went well and you are enjoying the great features of the Monty. A couple of more trips and you will feel like a pro at it. Here's hoping you have many happy adventures in it.

By the way, we just finished a 7 week 8,000 mile trip (way to fast for us normally) with ours and the learning curve was great. I now feel confident to take the Monty most any place. As for backing, this was the first trip I had to back into spaces, now I feel comfortable doing it, just takes practice.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:16 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good thorough report on the shake down. Glad you are having fun.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:26 AM   #7
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Quote:
quote:Waldo238 wrote:
Hello there and congrats on youre new rig! I just bought a 08 3000RK and was wondering if you could explain how youre stove wokrs "auto egnition system", my spec sheet says that it has it but it looks just like the stove in my TT I used to have where you turn the clicker to light the burners. So is this auto igniter for the burners or the oven? I asked the dealer about this and he also called the factory rep and I have the correct stove but don't understand the feature.
Waldo,

The Auto ignition feature contains the little clicker you mentioned. You push in the control knob for the relative burner you want to light. This will create that clicking noise that is generating a spark that will light the burner. Keep the knob pressed in until the burner lights and then release it.

Per the Tech who conducted our walk through, the oven is lighted by an external source; e.g. match or lighter. The pilot light is not as far back in this oven as it was on the one in our TT.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:38 AM   #8
Sherri48
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7532
Send a message via Yahoo to Sherri48
Congratulations on your new Monty!!

I enjoyed reading your report.

May you have many safe and memorable adventures with it.

Sherri
Sherri48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are doing exactly the right thing with the shakedown trips. Do as many as you can as it will help you to become familiar with the new camper as well as workout any defects.As for tye chucking you may want to consider a Mor-Ryde or similar hitch pin to address that or experiment with weight distribution..perhaps a bit more pin weight.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:09 AM   #10
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Glad it is going so well with the new Monty. I second what Rich said about the Mor-Ryde pin box. We installed one last year, and it significantly reduced chucking.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote