Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2006, 02:06 AM   #1
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
My First ROOKIE mistake.

We ran out of propane yesterday.
My bride tried to have me paged at the gym to let me know she couldnt get the oven lit and the heater stopped working.
After my workout I get to the truck to find 2 LOVING messages from her telling me how cold it is in side the trailer with NO HEAT !!!
I made it back to the trailer(she already had the tanks out) and over to the local propane place (5 minutes before they closed) and got them filled up.
I even remember reading in here in the MOC about leaving one tank closed so when it runs out you know your on your last tank.
Well.... let me tell you, One tank is closed right now.!
I'm making a phone call today to NW Propane and have a 120 gallon tank delivered.
Lessons learned. Stay tuned for more Bluegill Camping Follies.

Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:11 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Hey Blue, experience is the best teacher . Good thing you have a loving bride.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:16 AM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
well if you had to goof something up, atleast it was a simple fix.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:32 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Look on the bright side, it could have happen at 2 in the morning. We have all had our learning curve.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:22 AM   #5
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Yep 2 in the morning is real bad! I usually keep one valve closed, EXCEPT those long cold nights. I open the full tank before bed and close it in the AM. Hate those AM walks to open the full tank.

I carry a spare tank in the back of the pickup. Use it for the camp stove, light etc. But I always have a back up just in case I make one of those rookie mistakes. Been making rookie mistakes most of my life.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:23 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Blue,

you will probably get several more messages like this, but the normal procedure is to leave BOTH tanks ON and keep a check on the active tank. When you see RED on the indicator for the active tank, flip the valve and fill the now empty tank. The valve automatically begins to feed from the NON ACTIVE tank when the ACTIVE tank is empty. Just keep this up every time and you always have one full tank at the time of refill on the other.

Reading this seems clear as mud, but I know that is how it is supposed to work and how it HAS worked for me over 3 fifth wheel trailers and 10 years of active trailering.

The key is that human attention is required to check the indicator to know when the ACTIVE tank has become empty. The lever of the valve points to the active tank. It must be flipped manually when changing over to the other tank, BUT the gas flow is automatic.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:49 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Blue
Do you have an electric heater? They are great for just these little moments. Just be glad you had an easy fix to your first goof. And remember you are among friends, we share our goofs because we all learn from them.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:56 AM   #8
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Welcome to the Rookie Club. Sounds like the DW has everything well in hand. Now that the cool weather is upon us, even at night in sunny Az., there will be probably more good folks in the same situation. Long as it is just the little things, life is good. Nothing like rving. Ya'All take care and enjoy the great adventures ahead.

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:03 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Blue,

I would agree with David - the idea is to leave both tanks ON so they can transfer automatically. You have to discipline yourself to check the regulator indicator every once in a while to see if the primary tank emptied (red indicator). Or - I installed a remote indicator that flashes an amber light in the kitchen whenever the primary tank is empty. The remote is a simple install and attached to the existing regulator.

Sounds like you've got a better cure anyway with the large tank!

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:09 AM   #10
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Hey Buddy...been there...done that. Woke up at 4 a.m. FREEZING! There was ice and snow on the ground and the wind was blowing like crazy. No propane! Yep, we ran out, BUT...we always have 2 ceramice heaters on board and that kept it warm until we could get propane. We've had our share...let's see, TV antenna still up when pulling out, forgot to put up steps, forgot to turn off pump...there's lots of little things that you'll get used to doing once you get into the "swing" of it. Craig and I each have our own "jobs" for setting up and taking down. Works good for us. Hang in there...all will be good.
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:21 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

Blue,

you will probably get several more messages like this, but the normal procedure is to leave BOTH tanks ON and keep a check on the active tank. When you see RED on the indicator for the active tank, flip the valve and fill the now empty tank. The valve automatically begins to feed from the NON ACTIVE tank when the ACTIVE tank is empty. Just keep this up every time and you always have one full tank at the time of refill on the other.

Reading this seems clear as mud, but I know that is how it is supposed to work and how it HAS worked for me over 3 fifth wheel trailers and 10 years of active trailering.

The key is that human attention is required to check the indicator to know when the ACTIVE tank has become empty. The lever of the valve points to the active tank. It must be flipped manually when changing over to the other tank, BUT the gas flow is automatic.
Couldn't say it better. In 6+ years of fulltiming we have never had that propane problem. When one tank runs out it AUTOMATICALLY (unless broken) switches over to the full tank. Then the operator has to flip the valve so that it points to the full tank.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:36 AM   #12
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Blue, You are lucky to have a woman who can jump on in and take care of things when she has to! I salute her! Thanks for sharing, that's how we all learn!

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:10 AM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I leave both on so I have heat at night if one runs out. I do make it a point to check the Red/Green pop up on the regulator daily to make sure I have not switched over to the other tank. It seems time to get that Tell Tail devise I saw posted on this forum. Another upgrade for the new Monty.
Cheers
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:26 AM   #14
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Like the others who have posted, I keep the regulator switch pointed to one tank or another and watch for it to pop to red. I usually keep the switch pointed to the driver side tank and use the passenger side tank, with an extend-a-stay hose, to power the BBQ. Because the extend-stay-hose has a wrench fitting, as opposed to a hand fitting, I bought a propane indicator (that sorta works), but it has a hand fitting so that I can easily remove the passenger side tank for a fill up when needed.

Blue, at least all you needed was propane for your heater. Ours went out and needed a new circuit board and electrode. And, it was cold at night!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #15
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Same here Blue, both tanks on and watch the indicator.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:06 AM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
John,
Here is the LP indicator I installed from Marshall Gas:

Not sure where I'll put one in the new 3400. Just need access to run the cable to the curbside regulator. It just snaps into the top. The only issue I had was it runs on batteries and there is no way to shut it off when putting in in storage. When you close the tanks it starts flashing. Vendor says the batteries should last over a year, even when flashing, but I find that hard to believe so I rigged a switch to isolate the batteries when not in use. I didn't feel like unscrewing the faceplate to take the batteries out.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:07 AM   #17
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If that is the worst mistakee you make on the Monty, you are way ahead of the game.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:23 AM   #18
yvonnenid
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4853
Been There! Done That! We just got through installing the Marshall remote indicator. It was easy to install and we put it on the wall of the staircase next to the light switch so we will readily see it. You leave both tanks open and when one runs out the indicator starts flashing and does not stop until you fill the tank. We found a link on the forum for a web site selling this indicator and ordered it.
yvonnenid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Blue,
Look at getting a few electric space heaters. I use them all spring and fall, they will sure help offset the cost of propane all winter. As Lonnie said, "experience is the best teacher."
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:49 AM   #20
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Same thoughts as Orv and Marge..the key is to discipline yourself to check the indicator; cold weather (using the furnace nightly) every 4-5 days, warm weather (cooking and/or fridge only) every 4-5 weeks. Worked for us for over 3 1/2 years full timing so far. A small electric heater in the bedroom can also be of some help.

One good trick in conserving propane is to avoiding inclement (read "cold") conditions, which is one big reason for the rolling home to begin with!! (LOL)

Travel Safe!!
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote